Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 10-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #1

Default Raising/lowering questions

Have had our trailer for a few months now, and in all the while it has raised up and lowered with not a hitch. This weekend I noticed that when lowering it seems to be catching a bit then dropping, the another catch. In total it seems to have 3 or 4 catches or studders when lowering. I am concerned that ther may be a larger issue that I can not see. Any other have ideas, or experienced this situation.

Holset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Check the cables for broken wire strands, they will catch and cause the same problem. Is the top lowering even? Also check the Glide blocks and rails. Check the plastic seal behind the fridge it may have torn and is causing binding.

PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #3

Have you checked the hydraulic fluid level in the reservoir tank?
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #4

Also, check the guide rod that parallels the hydraulic piston to make sure it is clean and greased. It can cause some big problems if not maintained.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:40 AM   #5

Default Raising/Lowering

The above posts are right on and the most likely causes of " catching " I just went thru a complete cylinder removal, replacement and repair. I went over the entire system. Here is a summary of what I learned.

1. Guide Rod: As the cylinder goes up and down it is supposed to make the pulley head slide "smoothly" on the guide rod. If the guide rod is dirty, corroded, bent etc. it will cause catching and chattering. My rod was bent 1/2" out of line and completely jammed the system. Clean, grease and inspect.

2. Pulleys: All pulleys should rotate as the cables move over them. Any frozen or stuck pulleys could cause catching.

3. Cables" Make sure the cables have no broken strands or "fish-hooks" that could cause catching.

4. Guide rails and blocks: Get a flash light and look up at the guide blocks that align the top on the rails. Make sure nothing is loose.

5. Top Level? Make sure the Top is the same measurment up off the supports. It could cause binding if it is cock-eyed.

6. Fluid level: With the top down, make sure the fluid level is OK in the reservoir. 1" from the top. I know, it is tough to check with the top down but it can be done.

7. Air in the system ( Long Shot): The system seem to be self-bleeding and should purge out any air after a few cycles. But air in the hydraulics could cause "chattering"

If you can, get under the unit and observe all components during raising and lowering. Best as a Two man job but I did it one-man using a auto remote start switch jumped from the battery to solenoid. You will probably spot something.

Good Luck !
edward lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #6

The catching could be the screws that hold the tracks the top rides on.they will loosen & need to be checked/tightened. Missing ones replaced. The vibrating could be lack of grease and or a bent rod. The rod gets bent from no grease. The cables underneath need grease too,so do those tracks that the screws are in.get grease a rubber glove and rub it on these places. Then raise it and go back and hit the spots that are hidden when lowered. I do mine 2x a year or as needed,when it looks dry-cracking. No grease on the guide bar and bar will bend . Big problems.hope its nothing big good luck.
FHILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHILO View Post
The catching could be the screws that hold the tracks the top rides on.they will loosen & need to be checked/tightened. Missing ones replaced. The vibrating could be lack of grease and or a bent rod. The rod gets bent from no grease. The cables underneath need grease too,so do those tracks that the screws are in.get grease a rubber glove and rub it on these places. Then raise it and go back and hit the spots that are hidden when lowered. I do mine 2x a year or as needed,when it looks dry-cracking. No grease on the guide bar and bar will bend . Big problems.hope its nothing big good luck.
Thank you for all the suggestions, and tips. I have cleaned the rod, lubed the pulleys, sprayed the cables, checked the fluid (tad low) and greased the lift guide tracks. Went up with no issue. Great! While up, checked the guide blocks and made sure all screws for the track were flush. Of the 5 tracks/guide blocks, all are fine except the rear (door side) track. Some of the screws were backed out and the guide block is off the track. How do I get the block back onto the track?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #8

Default Guide Blocks

Check out this post, it may answer your question:
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/...placement-543/
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

With top up, unscrew the glide rail and reinsert it in the glide block, then screw back into place. If glide block is worn off on one side replace it.
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
With top up, unscrew the glide rail and reinsert it in the glide block, then screw back into place. If glide block is worn off on one side replace it.
Will try it in the morning. Thanks once again for the info.