Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 05-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Default Replacement Lift Cable Specifications (2709T)

We are new owners of a 2009 27' HI-LO. We were raising it this weekend to load a few purchases into it and heard the dreaded cable snap. It looks like the cable had rusted and worn where it rests on the top pulley.

I was looking for the cable specs to determine what is needed to replace this cable (and probably the other 3). From another thread in this group, the replacement cable is a 3/16 7x7 galvanized cable.

I am considering replacing cable with a 7x19 stainless cable but not sure if it would meet the load capacity.

A couple questions that I'm not finding answers for --

1) what are the approximate lengths of the cables
2) has anyone used the swag threaded terminal ends? I didn't get under that side of the camper to see how long the threaded portion is but would think the 7+ inch (threaded portion) ones I found should be long enough. I was just concerned that the swag fitting may not hold up to the pull strength needed for this application.

I found the detailed write up on replacing the cables -- looks to be very helpful -- anyone out there with any experience with this model HI-LO with any gothcha's would be appreciated :-)

Thanks for any advice!

Glen & Sue

MOSue56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #2

I also went through this search. TOOLS, FITTINGS,ETC.. do you know how to use a swag tool
There are numerous other considerations that make it soooooo much easier and cost effective to just give J&R repair a call and they will send you the correct length with the right threaded fittings.
the wires are NOT the same length for every cable!
The cost was very reasonable.

btdt

steve

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:23 PM   #3
sam

Default Replacing cables.

We have not had to do this repair. You are correct about the need to replace all four cables. I think you are refering to the excelant write up of 3-3-2010 Cable replacement in my 1998 HiLo 24TD. A member of our HiLo club did this repair and he spent about $11.oo fpr parts. The install should take about eight hrs. You can do this!!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, lift system, specs