Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #1

Default swaging tools

I am about to replace my cables with new ones bought from JR. I was wondering if anybody has used the wrench tightening type of swaging tool. will it accomplish the job as well as the big crimping type?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swage.jpg (1.0 KB, 117 views)

Bruce Leach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #2

Hi Bruce,

Don't know if its just my set-up, but when I tried to open the photo, this computer thought your photo was an application and wouldn't go any further.

In any event, you may want to direct this question to J & R repair. They would have a good idea of what tensile stress the cable would need to endure and if a mechanical swaging tool would create an adequate crimp.

Hope this helps!
Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #3

Default Cable Swedging Tools

I have used both types of tools for a variety of RV and Aircraft applications.
For Aircraft use ( critical bracing and control cables ) either type of tool does the job equally well.

1. Big Swedge Tool. This is just like a big Bolt Cutter and provides lots of leverage and a excellent "squeeze " to force the swedge to the deformed position. It is expensive ( unless you can borrow one ) and you need some room to open and close the jaws. Fast and easy to use after a little practice. Try a practice piece. Get the 3 crips on the swedge to insure max holding power.

2. Smaller, screw type, wrench operated. Less expensive. Can use in restricted space. Use a socket, rachet type wrench and make sure you screw the bolt down all the way. Lightly lube the threads ( WD-40 or equal )

3. My spec books say if you make the swedge right the 1/8" is good for 2300 lbs and the 3/16" is good for 4350 lbs. Plently of capacity for the Hi-Lo lift cables

4. Bottom line is either tool does the job.
edward lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #4

Thank you for the information
Bruce Leach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Site Team

I can't help but trust the "bolt" kind more than the "crimp" type. There's something satisfying about torquing a bolt down on the wire. Feels like it could NEVER slip. I just don't have the same level of confidence in a crimp.

- Jack