Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 02-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #1

Default won't go up

i have read all the posts about this but my question is, does the unit have to be completely level for the hydraulics to work?
wouldn't go up today, but i had it at an angle for the winter....

Jthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #2

It should be reasonably level but not perfect. If it is too far out of level it puts extra stress on the lift components.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #3

THANK YOU! i had the front way up for run off for the winter and when i went to put it up today, EEEEK! it just clicked and nothing.
i just listed it for sale today and someone was coming to look at it already and i thought oh no!
after leveling , it went right up!
Whew!!
i think i may have it sold on day one
Old 02-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #4

I'm glad that it went up. Usually eyeball level is ok. I was helping my friend with mounting a new A/C on a Hi-Lo today and I noticed it was not setting level. It went up ok. Just try to have it somewhat close. When stopping along the road for lunch breaks we try to park at a near level spot.

Good Luck on the sale! I hope you have a backup Hi-Lo.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #5

J,

Be sure to tell the new owner about the HTF!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #6

well they decided (he) it wasn't for him. i think she would have bought it in a heartbeat. i don't think it will take long to sell.
and of course i have a backup! i found a 1990 same size, at a dealer for $5995. but he will let me have it $5475. cash. they installed a new roof and it has the layout i need with a side dinette. plus a regular awning, not the original.
i did tell her about the forum because she sounded so sure she was going to get it.
oh well.
can't wait to get my "new" one!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
sam

Default Possible 1990 Hi-Lo purchase

Be sure to research NADA guides.com for the correct price on the 90 HI-LO. I don,t know your model or features..The price seems high to me. Does your state have any recourse if the used trailer is a lemon? Check all the walls both inside and outside for delamination/soft spots. Make sure all the systems are working. Have the dealer turn on the ref.a day before you go to check it out. I,ve seen many Hi-Lo awnings that have been replaced by Camping world that are incorrect. Grey square tube instead of a Care Free/Colorado.Make sure the toilet Holds water and doesn,t have a bad seal. Also check that the fan motor in the br works as this is about a 30.00 part. Just thinking if the roof leaked where else did the water get in? Windows could need to be taken out and resealed. If any inside walls were replaced by the dealer warping could be present. I have a 90 classic Hi-Lo. If I lived closer I would check it out for you. I,m not trying to be negative. I just don,t want you to get burned. Friends of ours were able to sell their HI-Lo on craigs list. What ever price you pay the dealer you will also have to pay sales tax. A lot of $ for a trailer that is 21 years old Keep us posted.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #8

thanks Sam. i will check out as much as i can. i don't think i will be able to check out the toilet though.
i did do a lot of research on used hi-lo that age and he is priced a lot higher than craigslist ones. they are around $4k but there are none around here.
the nice ones are out west.
there is a 2000 model close to me for $5000 but its the wrong layout, has a front dinette.
the good thing about this one is it has a warranty. he said everything is in working order. he is 100mi away from me so i won't really see it till i go for it next saturday.
i know all about the walls as mine has soft areas too.
here is the link to the one i am getting....
1990 HI-LO Fun Chaser for sale in Willow Street, Pennsylvania - RVTraderOnline.com
let me know what you think.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
sam

Default Possible purchase of 1990 funchaser

Do your self a favor.Get on NADAguides.com When you check off all the features it will give you a ball park price. You may Want to call the dealer before the visit to very some features/specs. How much of a warranty do you get? You won't be able to catch all the things that need to be fixed until you start camping. Our dealer said they checked/fixed everything. NY doesn't give any warranty on a used rv. Wecouldn,t leave the dealership right away because the wiring in the outside front of the trailer didn't work. we had to stand there while the Tec. had to re wire the trailer. We went from a pop up to the Hi-Lo. These things had to be replaced at our expense,thermostat,toilet seal and misc hardware. When I complained the dealer tested our br fan and gave us a new one. Our heater hose in the outside storage area wasn't hooked up properly..In later years we've had to replace the ref.'air conditioner,plastic vent covers,water pump,tires,battery.
My husband has had to repair the rotted br floor,rebuild the door and numerous other fixes. The older HiLo's hold up much better than the towlites and the new models. I;ve been in some pretty good wind and rain storms and old faithful holds up. We also added a solar panel and highly recomended this. The pictures of the trailer look great. The final decision must be yours. I feel your pain-love the trailer,wish it wasn,t so much $ I feel it is a buyers market. Would hate for you to pay the asking price and then have to put out more in repair parts. My 2 cents worth.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #10

i did the NADA thing and it gives a retail below $2000. thats not gonna happen especially with a dealer. so it comes down to how bad i want it, which i do, so i have to pay the price. they were asking $5995 i offered $5475 and they took it. with spring being right around the corner i knew it woud be gone if i waited and looked around. i didn't want to lose out on this one.
it has a 30day warranty on all the appliances, stove, heater, fridge, water heater, and AC. i will make sure he shows this when i go for pickup on saturday. it has the new roof so i don't have to worry about that.
i am very excited about this one as its just what i wanted. even the birdhouses are appropriate as i have 2 parrots and love birds!
thanks for all your input and advice.
i just hope mine sells soon so the neighbors don't think i have completely lost my mind having 2 of them in the driveway!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #11

J,

Your new rig looks good in the photos. The previous owners seem to have kept it up nicely!

I am curious about the table, the photo show some kind of a hinged overhang, attached to the wall and just above the table. I'm not familiar with Hi-Lo's of that era, so taking the risk of asking a stupid question: What the heck is going on there?

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 02-19-2011, 11:44 PM   #12

hmmmm, i see that, wonder what it is??
i also just noticed no spare tire? or is it hidden somewhere?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #13

If its similar to our 2004 Hi-Lo, the spare is mounted up underneath the trailer, aft of the axles.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 02-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #14
sam

Default Purchase of 1990 Hi-Lo Funlite

Congrats on your purchase of new realistate. If you could pick it up in May then you could camp and find anything that needs to be taken care of under warranty. The weather report for Northern Pa is pretty nasty. Hopefully,you can have good weather when you tow it home. Keep us posted . Take care Sam.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #15

Default Help

My hi-lo will go down but wont go up it makes a clicking sound
Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #16
Site Team

If it raises manually, the hydraulics, cables, pulleys, etc., are OK. That leaves the lifting motor.

Now, when you apply power to raise the top, it really just moves a solenoid to close a very high capacity contact that will carry the heavy current needed to run the motor. If the battery is weak, the voltage will drop so much that the solenoid will fall back (it's spring loaded to the "open position") and the draw caused by the motor is cut off. This allows the battery voltage to increase enough that the solenoid is again closed, starting the cycle all over again. The "clicking" you hear is probably the solenoid being moved back and forth.

Have your battery load tested. I suspect it is either at a low charge state or faulty. In either case, I rather imagine it needs to be replaced.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #17

Default Camper up

Thanks Jack it was the battery this is one great site keep up the good work all and thanks
Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins View Post
Thanks Jack it was the battery this is one great site keep up the good work all and thanks
Glad it was that simple. Your "clicking sound" was the big clue. You'll get the same thing in a car or truck with a very weak battery when you try to start it.

Modern batteries can fail suddenly, for no apparent reason.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote