Old 10-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

Exclamation 1980 hi lo trailer/axle tire question/

Okay so I have ended up tearing my 1980 all the way apart it ended up having more water damage then i realized when i seen the floor under it rotten with water anyhow now i have a bare frame I am in the middle of sanding the whole thing down and painting the frame to hopefully keep it from rusting for years to come.
I have a few ideas in mind of what i will be doing with it. As i want to be able to stick my Radio control planes and gear in it and go to the flying field.

#1. get a full sized van body and stick on the frame just weld it to it. hook up the lights on the van for the lights for the trailer.

We all know a full size van can hold lot of stuff. no seats in it it would hold even more.

#2 Get a Blazer body and do the same with it. I have a blazer so be kinda neat i think to have a matching trailer the same.

#3Get a full size pick up bed. and stick the bed on the frame, find a camper shell to go on the bed and just use that.

#4 Just build new flooring, and build a 2 foot tall box pretty much that the top would open to get planes in and out of. if i go this route the box with me 6 ft wide by 8ft long. I know my planes can sit inside that area assembled w/o any issues. I just do not want it to leak and still not sure on what to use on the sides and top to make it 100% waterproof.

My question for you guys is does anyone know if i really need both axles and all 4 tires or would it be okay to remove one axle?

my tires on it are ST175/80D13 #3 or 4 most likely cause i cant find a cheap non running van body if i do either #3 oor #4 i for sure want to chop it down. it doesn't need to be 20 foot long.. I plan to cut it right behind the rear tires but kinda be nice to get rid of the one axle or thought about cutting off the step and moving the rear axle to in front of the other one to make it shorter.
I do have it up for sale be nice someone just to buy it as it is and i will buy a small 4x6 enclosed trailer.

if anyone has any input it be great.
she is all naked now..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181009_140023203_HDR.jpg (572.7 KB, 5 views)

Old 10-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #2

Keep the dual axles if you don't you will have problems with weight plus it will tow better
You can always shorten the length of the trailer but move the axles will help with your design but you always keep 10 to 15 % of the total weight of the trailer at the front so you don't have the trailer swaying going down the road
Keep the electric brakes it will be safer to tow

campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
Keep the dual axles if you don't you will have problems with weight plus it will tow better
You can always shorten the length of the trailer but move the axles will help with your design but you always keep 10 to 15 % of the total weight of the trailer at the front so you don't have the trailer swaying going down the road
Keep the electric brakes it will be safer to tow
10 to 15%? never heard that so cutting off the extra 5 foot of frame behind where i want to build my box would help correct then the front would be heavier correct? cause right now the front of the trailer wants to tilt backwards i think im going to figure out a way to fasten the spare tire to the front also cause on the back bumper it was making it even more heavy back there.
the trailer brake wires are all totally gone. where having bad weather right now but when its over i plan to jack it up put on jack stands and take all 4 tires/wheels off and check out the brake drums and all and replace the bearings. to see what all that looks like..
at the moment my truck doesn't have a trailer brake in it. I would have to get one of those too.