Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #1

Default Battery recommendations and wheel bearings..

Looking to put a new battery in my 22' 1992 Hi Lo. Was wondering what is the best. You see where they sell Marine/RV starting batteries like at Sam's Club and so forth. I was reading that you want just a straight deep cycle battery - but I do not see many options there. What are people using?

Second question is wheel bearings. I know on my boat - I replace them ever 4-5 years. What about these trailers of this age.

Thanks!

JB

JBofTampaBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

The wheel bearings are similar to older cars and trucks and these lasted up to several hundred thousand miles. I would clean and inspect them if there is no rust or pitting just repack with grease. What you do is up to you, if replacing makes you feel safer then do it. Your boat had the possibility of getting water in the bearing area.
The battery should be a deep cycle battery.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #3

JB,

It's ironic that I just finished going over battery types and uses in the Marine Electrical Systems class that I teach.

In general batteries can be designed to perform optimally for starting or deep cycle. A starting battery needs to put out a lot of current in a very short amount of time. Deep cycle batteries put out much less current over long periods of time.

Over the years battery manufacturers realized that many people that own boats use the same batteries for starting as well as deep cycle. Moreover, it is less expensive to stock one type of battery, rather than two. This is why starting/deep cycle batteries were designed. They are a compromise design that does not do either function as well as a dedicated battery can.

A true deep cycle battery would be the best thing for you to get. Failing that, go for a combination battery. The batteries will come in three sizes or groups: 24, 27, 31. Measure the battery compartment and get the largest size that you can fit in it.

As far as bearings, the standard recommendation is to repack them at 1-year or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. Personally, I think the one year interval is way too short for properly sized bearings/axles. I've used 3-years and 10,000 miles on my previous travel trailer, as well as a motorcycle trailer without any issues. When I have them apart I carefully inspect the bearings and races, if there are signs of excessive wear or overheating I replace them.

A good thing to do when repacking bearings is to get all the part numbers and buy a spare set of bearings and seals to keep in the trailer in case of an emergency. I pack the spare bearings with grease and keep them in a sealed plastic food container. This way they are ready for use.

Article on bearings: http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-traile...heel-bearings/

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #4

Thanks to PopRichie77. My trailer has been sitting for 12 years - not moved. The wheels all spin when I have the trailer jacked up and no strange noise or movement. Looks like I just sold the old girl and the guy is taking her to South Carolina (I am in the Tampa Bay area). I mentioned to him they have not been repacked since it went into deep storage. I also have to get a new battery put in!

Norton Rider - Thanks on the battery advice. I am seeing that most places do not sell the stand alone deep cycle batteries but rather the combo deep/starting. I even went on Interstate Battery site and walked through their what do you need and it came back to the dual battery type.

Question. Does the size 24, 27 31 relate to what? Size in inches or is it more complicated that that? I have looked for a battery size table but so far not finding what I need.

Thanks!

JB
JBofTampaBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBofTampaBay View Post
I am seeing that most places do not sell the stand alone deep cycle batteries but rather the combo deep/starting. I even went on Interstate Battery site and walked through their what do you need and it came back to the dual battery type.

Question. Does the size 24, 27 31 relate to what? Size in inches or is it more complicated that that? I have looked for a battery size table but so far not finding what I need.
My guess that it is because of your location. I imagine that there is a high demand for boat batteries in Tampa Bay and it is easier for the suppliers to stock only one type. I think there's a Camping World store in the Tampa area; maybe they carry the deep cycle type.

Group sizes have to do with the dimensions of the batteries. Deep cycle and combination batteries usually only come in the three sizes I mentioned. For a given type and manufacturer, the larger the battery, the more capacity it will have. You can even hook up two of these batteries in parallel to get even more capacity. Here is a detailed table on sizes. Keep in mind that they vary a bit between manufacturers: BCI Battery Group Size Chart

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote