Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

Default bent axle/raising trailer redux

Thought id start a new thread on this.

They called from repair place today and had completed straightening both axles. Front was out of align worse than back but neither too bad though he said it would account for the uneven tire wear---seemed to think this was "normal" in that this happens to these torsion axles over time with wear and tear. Wheel was out of align 1/8 to 1/2 depending on wheel. straightened them both without removing them.

I gave the go-ahead to increase the clearance by three inches. They will have to cut off current mounting bracket from the frame , weld in spacer bars then craft a new bracket and weld that in. 200.00 extra for doing it this way rather than "welding " axle bracket to what would be left of mounting bracket---but it did not make sense to me to be faced with cutting off an axle should it ever need to be replaced.

J&R wanted 275.00 for a "spacer kit"- but I'm not sure that the work required to cut off the old bracket, bolt on the new bars, and remount the axles correctly would not have been slightly above my pay grade to do it well. They want 650.00 to 700.00 to do it -----which is about 7 hours of labor I figure, but they have a great rep. More $$ than I wanted to go----but it just seems like a good idea. I could not think of a good reason to only go 2" in stead of 3"----so 3" it is. Next year if I save my pennies I may upgrade to a 14" wheel and tire. Anyone think of any "warnings" feel free to shout out.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Rick, if your trailer towed "level" before, you'll need to raise the ball on your TV hitch by 3" to keep everything set up right. You SHOULD have that much adjustment capability.

You'll find the first step getting into the trailer will be a little/lot high now, especially if you are camped on a sloping lot where the curb side has to be raised to level the trailer. You will want to work out some kind of supplemental additional step.

- Jack

Old 05-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #3

Thanks, Jack, I should have enough room to adjust things though it will take a few hours and a pint or two of Wisconsin craft beer to get it done. I will just have to suffer. Actually, I think I had more room moving up than I had moving down.

Actually- I remembered you having a problem with your adjustment bolts and I thought it was in relation to you moving the axles...but I went back over and checked just to make sure there would not be a conflict. I think I'm ok. However, it looked like someone or something had sheared off the end of one of the bolts....and I don't if that was done by my axle guy in order to get his guage on it or it happened before. It is something i will have to mess with once I get the trailer back----I don't know how difficult it is to replace one, but I figure it must be do-able.

Rick

4x4
Old 05-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
Site Team

You'd only need longer bolts if somehow your cables were too short. I didn't see that happening unless I replaced my cables with shorter ones.

But, I needed to cut the bolts because the tire was moved forward. As long as the trailer was just sitting, there was clearance, but if the axle was compressed (on a bump) it would move the tire up into the exposed bolts.

I'm sure there are replacement bolts somewhere if they really become needed.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

Default Trailer done!

Got the trailer back today. Caught me off a bit when i first saw it as the increased clearance was immediately noticeable when I pulled up to it....but they did a nice job . He had to move wires around and when he did he took off the "wire nuts" and sottered the connections and then shrink wrapped them so i appreciate that effort. Tubes were welded and new brackets made and then everything was "undercoated". So----again, with the staightening of the axles and doing the rest it was a bit pricier than I wanted but I think I will be glad i had it done and I'm certainly likeing what appears to be pretty quality work. I also think it will be easier to "level" while towing as I was pretty much at the bottom of my options with my wdh, before. I will get pictures in the next day or two and post for those interested.

Rick

4x4
Old 06-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #6

OK-finally got some pictures. first the frame spacers.

First pic is old arrangement with tire wear I was having issue with. Next two are of the new 3" spacer and new axle brackets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old axel 1.jpg (92.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg new axle 2.jpg (86.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg new axle 3.jpg (96.0 KB, 64 views)

4x4