Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #1

Default best tire ?

Which is best for trailer tires, radial or bias ply?

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Can't say which is best, I do think that nylon bias tires will take speeds over 65 better than radial tires.
People say don't buy China made tires but the new Good Year ST trailer tires are made in China. Check the manufactures web site. The new 4ply radials now have and extra ply of nylon over the steel belts, probably to stop the steel belts from breaking, I had many in the past that this happened to although non went flat or blew out. The Good Years on my 2209 with the extra nylon ply now have over 7,000 miles and no problems. I had Good Years in the past that failed with less millage than this. Best advice is keep the tires inflated to the max spec on the tire and drive at 65 or under.
Here is some usefull information
http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=2355013

PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to captbobster
Default Tire size upgrade to 225s

Has anyone upgraded to the 225s instead of the 205s with new wider wheels? Was thinking of doing this just to have a little more tire capacity so they're not running at the limit.
captbobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #4

Default Jack

What jack is everyone using for tire changing? I have a 2807 and was wondering scissor or hydraulic.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #5

If you go to a larger size just be sure it will fit between the shirting and the brake drum. I would test one first before buying all 4.
As for the jack it doesn't matter which you use, just be sure to place the jack where the manual says. Trailer frames are light an springy, jacking to far back on the frame on the door side will jam the lower door and may cause damage.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #6

I don't use a jack. I use a "Trailer-Aid". It is like a large rubber chock that you back or pull the non flat tire up on. This elevates the flat tire enough so that you can change it with no problems. Just have to remember to loosen the lug nuts on the flat before elevating it. Using this, you don't have to worry where to place a jack or is the trailer high enough. Use it once and it has paid for itself. This is truly a no muss, no fuss item for the trailer.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #7

Location: Henryetta, Oklahoma (50 miles due south of Tulsa where I-40 and US 75 cross)

Captbobster, I agree with these answers and fully endorse the Traileraid for my choice of jacking items. I even bought the Traileraid plus for the additional 1 inch of height when doing the job, worked great when I practiced in the driveway. I bought mine off Amazon.com for $40.00 with free shipping earlier this month. I have to thank my fellow forum members for the questions asked and good advise I have gotten from reading their responses. Great bunch of folks.
Bob Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #8

Default Jack

Thanks guys, didn't even think of the Trailer Aid, this is my first tandem axle and it never came to mind. I just order one of the plus models from Amazon no tax no shipping for $41, can't beat it for simplicity and ease.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #9

Default jack

By the way, I love this forum and the helpfulness of everyone. Hope I can contribute in the future.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #10

Capt,

The Trailer-Aid ramp works really well if your rotating tires, or have a single flat. These are fairly new to the market, and I now take one along on our road trips.

Years ago, long before the Trailer-Aid, I got in the habit of carrying a hydraulic scissor jack and scraps of 2 X 6 's in case we ever had a trailer flat. My old habits are hard to break and I still carry the stuff... thank goodness, because last fall I had a double flat (same side) and would not have been able to put the spare on without the jack. The Trailer-Aid ramp will not raise the trailer high enough (to put a spare on the other wheel) if you only have a rim to drive onto it. I know, because I tried.

Trailer-Aid ramps are VERY convenient, but don't think for a second that they are a substitute for a real jack.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:16 AM   #11

I already have a small hydraulic, think I'll carry it for emergencies.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #12

Well after having to fight my small floor jack to check the wheel bearings. I found a 12 ton bottle jack on sale at Sears for $30, so now I have the best of both worlds.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #13

Has anyone tried the 10# extra theory that Goodyear has on their Marathon tires and also in the tire literature on the library. I know it is not suppose to increase your weight carrying capability but should help with heat at speed. I also noticed that if you go from the 205s to the 225s in the C range that you do get increased load capacity with the increase in pressure up to 60#. That sounds like a good alternative to the 205s. Any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #14

Default Tire Life

Well we proved the 5 year tire life theory yesterday. While returning from our July 4 camping trip to First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach, we had the right front tire come apart at 60 mph.

I have always been careful to inspect my tires and check pressure before starting on any trip. I checked the tires before starting out yesterday morning and saw no visible signs of problems. We had only gone about 20 mikes.

Luckily, the remaing tire on the right side supported the trailer and allowed us to safely stop and get off the interstate just before entering the Hampton Roads Tunnel.

We have a 2007 Classic 28C manufactured in 2006 which came with Marathon tires. Needless to say, all tires have now been replaced.
5.7L V8 Hemi
Factory installed tow package
MStoneham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #15

Smile

I have a ramp, wrenches and WD-40 and a few odds and ends in both campers at all times . only comes out for tire changes.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStoneham View Post
Well we proved the 5 year tire life theory yesterday. While returning from our July 4 camping trip to First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach, we had the right front tire come apart at 60 mph.

I have always been careful to inspect my tires and check pressure before starting on any trip. I checked the tires before starting out yesterday morning and saw no visible signs of problems. We had only gone about 20 mikes.

Luckily, the remaing tire on the right side supported the trailer and allowed us to safely stop and get off the interstate just before entering the Hampton Roads Tunnel.

We have a 2007 Classic 28C manufactured in 2006 which came with Marathon tires. Needless to say, all tires have now been replaced.
HI Mike We were down at the Cape Henry/ Ft Story Inn and just got back yesterday. Must have been only about a mile or two from you. Sorry to hear about the tire. Lets get together soon.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #17

Default Tire problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStoneham View Post

Hi Mike, I guess we were a little more fortunate than you. Two weeks ago we completed a trip with the two grand children, from San Antonio, Tx. to Disney in Florida.
We have a 2003, 27' Towlite, which we bought used that still had original tires. I threw the tred from the left rear just after getting to Florida, replaced it with the original stock spare. On the way home I threw tred from the same left rear (spare) about thirty miles from home. Needless to say, I now have five new tires installed on the Hi Lo.
I do wish there was some sort of guard between the left rear tire and the sewer dump valves, fortunately the only damage I sustained was a broken handle on the black water drain valve, and a bent trim piece.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #18

You were lucky when mine threw the tread, before it came off completely it removed all the valves and most of the piping, damaged the floor and the metal box under the tub. The tire was less than 3 years old and was properly inflated.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
Old 08-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #19

Default 6 yr limit

Hi Mike, I also have the same trailer as you and was towing from Florida to Ohio on our first trip, had checked all tires before we left for pressure and signs of wear. We had 2 2006 and 2 2009 tires on the trailer, all Marathons and all looked new, guess that should have told me something. The left rear tire blew without warning and when I inspected it the steel belts were sticking through the tread and the rubber nibs were still on the tires. Needless to say, I put 4 new Towmaster on and have been fine for the rest of the trip. I would say replace your tires every 4 yrs whether they look like they need it or not. Lesson Learned!
Bob
PS I was only cruising at 60
2011 Toyota Sequoia
Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #20

For a good document on Trailer Tire Facts - Discount Tire, they recommend replacing tires after 3 to 5 year or 5,000 to 12,000 miles. They also state that trailer tires are NOT expected to wear out, but rather have a service life and should be replaced when those parameters are met!

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote