Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #1

Default Carlisle Tire Experience

Hi,

I'm about to replace the tires in my 2408T. I'm looking for feedback on Carlisle Radial Trail RH trailer tires. Do any of you have experience with these tires? How do they compare with Goodyear Marathons?

Raul

Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Site Team

I have no experience with Carlisle, but have read numerous posts in other trailer forums that say they are not a good buy. Also, the guy I talked to at Discount Tire did not like them.

My personal experience with Goodyear Marathons was bad. Both OEM tires failed due to cord separation in about two years with about 5000 miles on them. I've posted on this experience in this forum.

My tire of choice now is Maxxis M8008 ST Radial. I was able to mount an 8-ply rated tire in the OEM size (before I had my axle moved) and I've had excellent service with this tire.

- Jack

Old 04-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #3

My 85 had mixed sets when purchased.
It now has Carlisle all around and did a 8k mile trip last year with no problems.
There are poly ply and steel ply, for a little more. I have the steel due to weight. The Goodyear were another $50/ more.

My trip included 4k miles of southern US which, other than Florida, seemed to have very poor condition roads.
LA. Ala and Miss were the worst roads I have driven on in many years, in particular interstate 10.

steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I had bad experience with marathons on the 95 but the marathons on the 2209 have over 25,000 miles on them with no problems. The marathons on the 2209 have a extra nylon ply in them, which may be the reason for longer life.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #5

Thanks all for the feedback.

I did more online searches and found that the Carlisle tires had many more instances of negative feedback than I could find for the Goodyear tires. The feedback was mostly regarding blowouts and tread separation, much of it on new or nearly new tires. Unfortunately, it was not clear which model of Carlisle tires the feedback was about.

Since I can get a set of Goodyear Marathon's for about $50 more than the Carlisle, I decided to go with them.

Incidentally, it is sad that the other major tire manufacturers have either left the utility/boat/travel trailer tire business or chosen not to market their tires in the US.
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
Hi,

I'm about to replace the tires in my 2408T. I'm looking for feedback on Carlisle Radial Trail RH trailer tires. Do any of you have experience with these tires? How do they compare with Goodyear Marathons?

Raul
Norton Rider,

I am tire and battery broke from all that I have had to replace the past 6-months. 12 tires, 4 batteries, plus transmission and radiator flushes, flters and new fluids. I am not an expert but I do shop around before I buy.

Check out all the tires everyone might suggest to you but before you dedide, have a look at the Gremax ST tires. I bought a set last fall on the advice of a tire dealer in my home town of Fredericksburg, TX. I aked him which is his best selling trailer tire and he said all the farmers and ranchers that he services buy Gremax tires and he said he has very few problems or complaints with them. We drove from Fredericksburg to Nevada, Missouri today in all wet weather and they trailed, braked, and handled perfectly.

Here are a few reviews of them: Tyretest.com - Tyre test reports by consumers for consumers

I got 8 Ply tires although they are not really needed for our 24 foot Hilo. They are a less expensive than the Goodyear Marathon's and Carlisle tires. I had a Marathon blow out on the HiLo last year as it sat in the driveway! So, I will not be buying them any more. I also read bad reviews on the Carlisle. Just my two cents worth.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #7

Whatever tire you deside to go with, my advice is to go with a "D" load rated tire. The extra strength is good insurance against a blowout. A blowout can cause many thousands of dollars in damage to the underside of the HiLo. Additional insurance is a tire monitoring system that lets you read out the pressure and temperture of each tire and warns you of any changes of either. Not cheap tho, but great peace of mind especially on long trips. If it prevents a blowout and the above damage it paid for its-self.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM L View Post
Whatever tire you deside to go with, my advice is to go with a "D" load rated tire. The extra strength is good insurance against a blowout. A blowout can cause many thousands of dollars in damage to the underside of the HiLo. Additional insurance is a tire monitoring system that lets you read out the pressure and temperture of each tire and warns you of any changes of either. Not cheap tho, but great peace of mind especially on long trips. If it prevents a blowout and the above damage it paid for its-self.
Concur with all of the above! Nicely stated!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #9

Default Tires and Roads

The tires on our 3389B are a mixed bag but in pretty good shape. We recently brought it home to Sugar Land (just outside of Houston) from Sarasota, FL. That was a little over 1100 miles, and we had no problems. I have to give credit to Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and eastern Louisiana for almost brand new road surfaces on I-10 & I-12. Roads were fine until (I'm ashamed to say) we got back to Texas and then it was rock and roll time. I hate to admit this, but if you come to Texas, which I think everyone should, don't use I-10. Anyway getting back to tires, as our trailer has 7 of them, they will have to do until they get a little worse for wear than they are right now. I have a friend who is a Firestone dealer and he suggested one of his brand of tires for replacements. Anyone know anything about these?

Have a great day and safe trips.

Bear
bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
sam

Default tires

I hope you have a spare.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote