Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #21

Default Frame Damage?

Only problem I had was, they were going to use a floor jack, but I stayed with them and used my Trailer Aid as needed to prevent frame damage.
Tree[/QUOTE]

I am getting new tires next week. Is there something I should tell the installers?

V6 3.5L Eco Boost
bshetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshetts View Post
Only problem I had was, they were going to use a floor jack, but I stayed with them and used my Trailer Aid as needed to prevent frame damage.
Tree
I am getting new tires next week. Is there something I should tell the installers?[/QUOTE]Tires and bearings sometimes go hand in hand. If you aren't sure about the bearings this would be a good time to have them checked..... IF the dealer knows his business.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:03 AM   #23

Garry, the reason we do not allow the tire people to use the floor jack when installing new tires is that your Hi-Lo frame flexes. I'm afraid (because they know nothing about camper frames) that they will apply too much force with those industrial size jacks and, of course, the tire company accepts no responsibility for that unless you can prove it. Why take the risk!

We insist they use our tire ramp or one of theirs (if they have one). We stay with them during the process; we run each tire on the tire ramp, set our emergency brake, and have them install each tire. They groan and moan about having to do it this way because it takes them longer to install the new tires. But if they won't do it this way, go somewhere else to buy your tires because the risk is yours, not theirs.

We have read too many horror stories on RV.net in the past years concerning bent frames after a new tire change, and the camper owners could not prove it happened at the tire store after they left their camper there.

Dee
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Tillotson View Post
Garry, the reason we do not allow the tire people to use the floor jack when installing new tires is that your Hi-Lo frame flexes. I'm afraid (because they know nothing about camper frames) that they will apply too much force with those industrial size jacks and, of course, the tire company accepts no responsibility for that unless you can prove it. Why take the risk!

We insist they use our tire ramp or one of theirs (if they have one). We stay with them during the process; we run each tire on the tire ramp, set our emergency brake, and have them install each tire. They groan and moan about having to do it this way because it takes them longer to install the new tires. But if they won't do it this way, go somewhere else to buy your tires because the risk is yours, not theirs.

We have read too many horror stories on RV.net in the past years concerning bent frames after a new tire change, and the camper owners could not prove it happened at the tire store after they left their camper there.

Dee
Actually that was my question. Garry was responding. Thank you! As a relatively new trailer owner I was not aware of this! I will make sure they do this right or will just buy the new tires on rims and do it myself. I guess I need a trailer aid!
V6 3.5L Eco Boost
Old 06-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Tillotson View Post

Dee
I have AAA road service and both times I called for assistance I told the rep to make sure everyone understands the trailer has to be lifted by the frame, not the axle. Both times the service rep was going to raise the trailer by the axle and both times I had to assist with the tire change.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 06-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #26

We were the 3rd owner of our HiLo TowLite 2196.

Someone who worked in it before we purchased the trailer, raised it using the axel and not the frame.

The entire time we had the trailer, we had to deal with the bent frame. It made it much more difficult to level the trailer and also caused the door not to seal.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #27

So see here we have the problem, one person saying lift it by the frame and another saying lift it by the axle. A floor jack could do either. I think either place is going to be fine and is more about where exactly you place the jack. If a jack is going to bend a frame where the axle mounts, or an axle bends where the springs mount just from changing a tire, it is never going to last in the real world of potholes, curbs, dirt roads, speed bumps, etc.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #28

Default Frame/Axle/Trailer Aid

I talked to the tire shop today and they said they use a jack under the frame and have never had an issue. They also said if I brought my Trailer Aid, they would use it. The local RV place who have worked on this trailer several times including packing wheel bearings said they don't use a trailer aid either. So confused!
V6 3.5L Eco Boost
Old 06-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshetts View Post
I talked to the tire shop today and they said they use a jack under the frame and have never had an issue. They also said if I brought my Trailer Aid, they would use it. The local RV place who have worked on this trailer several times including packing wheel bearings said they don't use a trailer aid either. So confused!
I have not used a Trailer Aid, but I think when one is used it is no different than having all wheels on the ground, other than the tire you are removing. Therefore there is not any unusual stress on the axle, which you would have if you raised the axle using a jack.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 06-23-2016, 05:04 PM   #30

The Trailer Aid product has not been around very long but Hi-Lo has been around for decades. What did Hi-Lo recommend to their customers?
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
We were the 3rd owner of our HiLo TowLite 2196.

Someone who worked in it before we purchased the trailer, raised it using the axel and not the frame.

The entire time we had the trailer, we had to deal with the bent frame. It made it much more difficult to level the trailer and also caused the door not to seal.
I misspoke on my earlier post, someone previously jacked the trailer up under the door causing the frame to bend at a weak point. We have had success jacking up the trailer by the frame between the two wheels.

We now have the Trailer Aid so we do not need to worry about weak points in the frame.

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote