Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #21

I discovered this problem on our 98 Towlite after purchase, while checking wheel bearings. No way were those tires coming out while inflated. To avoid a roadside disaster, I created a hinged cutout which allows either tire to be removed ( after jacking from frame or axle ). Secured the cutout door with barrel bolt locks and added molding. No way am I buying into that "deflate the tire" business. Why even carry a spare?? I have since had to change a tire, no problem..

ronsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #22

I don't know what they did. I think Campers World puts the trailer on a lift under the frame because I saw a lift when I went there. This small trailer repair shop does mostly small utility trailers and hitches. I went to this place because it is close and has been there for years. I suspect they have a lift for the hitch work. From this thread, I see where it is recommended, to put a jack under the frame as close as possible to the axle. Some posts say to take the air out of the spare before putting it on.

2008 15ft Towlite Limited Edition
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi w/ARE cap
Fastway e2 Hitch
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:14 PM   #23

Default I too have 22f 2001 towlite hilo..

Do you know the tires spec.. don't have them.with me and am now at tire shop so thought I'll check prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
I tried upping the tire size on my 2001 22ft and though the diameters worked together ( dual axles), on one side the width would not clear. Turns out things were not perfectly symetrical side to side and even a quarter inch of difference mattered. Thus, I believe there is ample evidence of this forum of folks having difficulty over the years getting a tire off of a hi-lo. But, as Jack suggested, there is a way- you just need to find it Deflating the tire all the way is also a possibility, I suppose, even it seems like an absurd approach.

Rick

freshman is offline   Reply With Quote