Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #1

Default Chocks

My driveway is rather steep so I've been using blocks in front of all four wheels. Even so I have been very nervous that if is some how broke loose during a storm or earthquake it would end up on my neighbors roof. So, while ordering my new McKesh towing mirrors I also ordered an "Ultimate Tire Scissor Chock" from Hensley Mfg. for $35.00 plus shipping. As you can see from the image is jams between the tires making it impossible for them to roll. I expect to sleep better now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0975.jpg (97.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0976.jpg (96.8 KB, 51 views)

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #2

John,

I've been using these things for several years now... mostly for longer term camping when I really wanted to take all the "rock," out of the Hi-Lo, or if I was camped on enough of a slope that I didn't want to rely on conventional chocks alone.

But where they REALLY became essential was this last fall when we had the door-side double flat. When jacking up the afflicted side I found the whole set-up very unstable until I installed the scissor chock. Being able to lock those other two wheels, so there was NO possibility of rolling or shifting, made all the difference. I was on a slight side and down slope (the gravel road margin), and had to disconnect the TV to take the trailer wheels in for new tires.

Bottom line: Your new scissor chock can also act as emergency equipment!

Good buy!
Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
John,

But where they REALLY became essential was this last fall when we had the door-side double flat.
Jim
You had a DOUBLE FLAT?!!

What happened? Bad/old tires? That's pretty amazing. Were you home? Or on the side of the road?

We need to hear this story -
cptmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

If one tire goes flat while towing, it probably won't be noticed in the tow vehicle, this puts all the weight on the remaining tire, even a new tire will over heat an fail. The flat one may come apart and take the remaining tire out also. Happens on tractor trailers all the time. I have talked to many campers that this happened to, it also causes a lot of trailer damage. This also happened to my son, $600.00 damage to the trailer, not counting tires an wheels, just for parts and he done the repair. It wasn't a Hi-Lo.
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #5

CPT,

It was a Sunday in October, with the temp. about 80, and we were northbound at 65 mph on Hwy. 318 in the Nevada desert. A passing motorist gave us "the trouble back there," hand signal. Pulled over onto the soft margin, and after stopping saw clouds of blue smoke billowing "back there." Both door side tires on the Hi-Lo were shredded and virtually gone. I'd been riding on rims for a short distance and fortunately the rims were still serviceable.

As stated previously, a big problem was stabilizing the trailer so I could jack it up. Experienced a lot of slippage on that soft and sloping shoulder until I "anchored" the road side tires with the scissor chock. Finally got it jacked up and my one spare mounted, and VERRRRY SLOWLY limped into the next town (Lund) some miles up the road. Hah, rest assured I wasn't holding back traffic... on Hwy. 318, during rush hour, you might see a car an hour. At Lund I found a nice level piece of paving, and while I was disconnecting and stabilizing the trailer, my wife is making all the calls to locate a tire dealer (finally had cell phone coverage). The only thing open in Lund on a Sunday is the Mormon church, and they don't sell tires, so we drove north to Ely. My wife found a gent who would was willing to open his shop... so we bought, and he mounted, the only two properly sized tires he had (both used with about 25% tread).

Went back to Lund, installed the tires, hitched up, drove back to Ely and camped that night. Woke up the next morning, and our right rear truck tire was half flat. After pumping it up we went back to the tire dealer for the repair, and he found a big old framing nail in the tire, causing a slow leak. Talking with the tire guy, we conjectured that I must have run through a field of spilled nails. There had more of the front trailer tire remaining than the rear. The tire guy said when you run over a nail, the front tire lifts the nail so it will imbed in the second tire. I think our rear trailer tire was flattened by a nail, and the weight of the trailer destroyed the front tire.

We were delayed half a day, and this was one of those ruffles that makes a road trip interesting! I had too many years in the Navy involved with Repair Lockers, and damage control, to get too excited about a couple of flat tires. But what REALLY concerned me was that I never felt the flat(s), or running on the rims. If I'd driven much further and wrecked the rims, I would have REALLY had a problem, as the next closest rim would have been over 350 miles away in either Las Vegas to the south, or Twin Falls to the north.

Over the winter I bought four new tires for the Hi-Lo and for my birthday, my wife gave me a tire (pressure and temperature) monitoring system. I am, once again, a happy camper!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 05-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #6

Having spent 33 years of my life working for PennDOT in various capacities, I had numerous opportunities to walk many miles of highway. You would be surprised at how much debris is on the roadway that is not visible while driving down the road at 55 mph or faster. The Interstate highways are a real scrapyard, nuts, bolts, nails, and many other objects. Do not pull off onto the shoulders of these highways unless it is an emergency because that is where all the shrapnel ends up.

Added Note: I was able to keep myself supplied with bungee cords during those expeditions. They are everywhere.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
If one tire goes flat while towing, it probably won't be noticed in the tow vehicle, this puts all the weight on the remaining tire, even a new tire will over heat an fail. The flat one may come apart and take the remaining tire out also. Happens on tractor trailers all the time. I have talked to many campers that this happened to, it also causes a lot of trailer damage. This also happened to my son, $600.00 damage to the trailer, not counting tires an wheels, just for parts and he done the repair. It wasn't a Hi-Lo.
I wonder why they don't have 2 spares on dual-axle trailers, then. Would make more sense, don't you all think?

If one flat means a high probability of a second flat - I'd like to have the second spare.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Site Team

How's the TPMS working for you Jim?

I'm still totally sold on the one we bought (and reviewed in this forum).

- Jack
Old 05-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #9

Hi Jack,

The system is working real well. I was concerned about signal strength without the booster, but all sensors are coming through just fine.

The only glitch I experienced was in the set-up and calibration. No matter what I did I just couldn't seem to get the monitor to recognize the tire sensors. Jeesh, I must have gone through the procedure half a dozen times and nothing (now I'm hobbling on crutches this whole time) and getting mildly frustrated. Then I had this flash of enlightenment and remembered... I had yet to put the batteries in the sensors! DOAH.

The 1st camping trip of the year really didn't push the tires. The roads were dry and curvy and slow. The weather was cool and we were near the snow line. Tire temps. never went above 70 degrees. We'll be going again Memorial Day weekend at a lower altitude, using the interstate and the temps are expected to be warmer. So it will be fun to monitor the tires!

The peace of mind makes it worth the cost (for me).

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 05-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
Pop,
You hit it right on the head with this statement. I also had damage to our trailer, around $250 worth. Fortunately all the wreckage was confined to the side skirt, which was relatively easy to replace.

"I wonder why they don't have 2 spares on dual-axle trailers, then. Would make more sense, don't you all think?"

CPT,
After my experience, I pondered this also... Even crawled underneath to see if there was room to mount a second spare (there is not). I could hang one on rear hitch, but then the bicycles would stay at home. Best option for us was the monitoring system referred to above. Also eyeball checks whenever we stop.

Incidentally, the June, 2011, issue of Trailer Life, has a great article titled: Top 10 Towing Tips. One of the tips (#4) specifically addresses tire, bearing and brake maintenance and checks. Well worth reading, particularly now, at the beginning of the camping season.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 05-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I think your TPMS is the way to go. I may bite the bullet and buy one,
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
Pop,
You hit it right on the head with this statement. I also had damage to our trailer, around $250 worth. Fortunately all the wreckage was confined to the side skirt, which was relatively easy to replace.

"I wonder why they don't have 2 spares on dual-axle trailers, then. Would make more sense, don't you all think?"

CPT,
After my experience, I pondered this also... Even crawled underneath to see if there was room to mount a second spare (there is not). I could hang one on rear hitch, but then the bicycles would stay at home. Best option for us was the monitoring system referred to above. Also eyeball checks whenever we stop.

Incidentally, the June, 2011, issue of Trailer Life, has a great article titled: Top 10 Towing Tips. One of the tips (#4) specifically addresses tire, bearing and brake maintenance and checks. Well worth reading, particularly now, at the beginning of the camping season.

Jim
Thanks for the heads up on this article; I'm chasing it down today. I'm definitely not a fan of the the "trailer tire emergency club" - and I've been there before myself. Not a fun place to be.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
Site Team

I think this is the article - it's actually a "supplement"? http://www.trailerlife.com/Images/Di...wGuide2011.pdf

I've just saved it for future reading.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #14

Jack,
Thanking for posting this.

DebW is offline   Reply With Quote