Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Default DIY Repack Wheel Bearings?

I recently bought a used 2007 23C Classic and am not sure when the wheel bearings were last packed. I am wondering if repacking the wheel bearings is something that I could do myself. I have the Dexter Axle Service Manual but it is not clear enough to make me feel comfortable. Anybody have advice or know of helpful/instructive resources?

Darryl

camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperD View Post
I recently bought a used 2007 23C Classic and am not sure when the wheel bearings were last packed. I am wondering if repacking the wheel bearings is something that I could do myself. I have the Dexter Axle Service Manual but it is not clear enough to make me feel comfortable. Anybody have advice or know of helpful/instructive resources?

Darryl
Darryl - it's certainly something you can do yourself, but the sources I've seen are not much better than the Dexter manual. It would be good if you had a mechanic who was willing to let you watch him do it the first time around. After that, you'd know what to do.

- Jack

Old 07-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #3

Jack - Thanks for the encouraging words. Does anyone know whether the 2007 23C has the standard Dexter axles or their EZ Lube or Nev-R-Lube versions?
Darryl
Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #4

Default Repacking wheel bearings..

Go to Utube and view some video there; good info among the many videos.
sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip about U Tube. I did see some very helpful videos there. Got my confidence up. Now I'm really dangerous.
Darryl
Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #6

Remember to use the same flavor of grease that's in your bearings now. You are not supposed to mix diferent greases together. Take some photos.
sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

I live and grew up on a farm, we have thousands of wheel bearings, about every few years, they'd come out with and discontinue grease we were getting, plus suppliers go out of business and what not. Not every shop has bought the same grease either, so even professionals cant guarantee same grease as the last person to pump a couple pumps into the zerk, used.

Never in my life did I ever go around that farm and cleanout old grease so I could put in whatever I had new. I dunno, I think as long as you got enough grease, all other problems will be MINIMAL at best.

Your mileage may vary though, if you are that worried, then by all means clean them out and redoo them...

I bet youtube will have a video on repacking bearings, with and without the neat tool I used when I worked for Eldorado campers... I pack by hand, it is a messy job but easy.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #8

To clarify ... Lithium grease is lithium grease regardless of the manufacturer just as 10w-30 oil is 10w-30 oil, of course it nice if you stay with the same manufacturer (at least they will say so) but nothing catastrophic will happen if you use the same type of lubricant from different manufacturers. I know not everyone will agree with that statement but if you do not I suspect you have been subjected to some really good advertising or sales pitches.

I also grew up on a farm and as Sting stated we didn't worry about brand, age or anything other than "quantity" of grease on the bearing ... I have to believe it was because of the low speed most of the equipment was subjected ... never more than 20 mph. My dad was more particular about what went into the family car and the trucks and tractors, which got regular maintenance recommended by the manufacturer. Thus I would suggest maintaining your Hi-Lo wheel bearings according to the manufacturers recommendations ... especially you rebels towing them 80 mph down the interstate!

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

I work on aircraft and grease color differs with manufacturer but the Mil Spec is the same. Shell and Mobile are two different colors but they can be mixed if they meet the same specs.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
I work on aircraft and grease color differs with manufacturer but the Mil Spec is the same. Shell and Mobile are two different colors but they can be mixed if they meet the same specs.
I have to agree with that. If you mix grease with different bases or specs one can dissolve the other. The important thing is to completely clean the bearings and axle before new or different grease. Pennzoil 707L red grease is an excellent choice. http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/Pr...ing%20707L.pdf
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #11

CamperD asked how to recognize if you have a E-Z lube or Nev-R lube bearings. I couldn't find the answer in this thread. I have the same question. I have a 1508T with the optional 15 inch wheels. If some one has the answer or can point me to a source I would greatly appreciate it. I suspect the answer would have a big impact on bearing service.

Thank You
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Here is some information on Dexter axles.
http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/f/produ...-Lube_7-11.pdf
http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/f/produ...-Lube_7-11.pdf
I don't think Hi-Lo used either of these axles.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dexter_Axle_Applications_Manual_Complete_Catalog.pdf (1.76 MB, 25 views)
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #13

Thanks for the quick response. Upon inspecting my wheels there is a plastic cover in the center of what appears to be aluminium spoke wheels. When I remove the plastic cap there is a crowned metal cover over the end of the hub. That, to me, eliminates the E-Z lube because the Dexter information shows a rubber cover for the E-Z lube hub. The Dexter illustration shows that there is no cover over the NEV-R lube hub. I find it hard to believe that a hub would not have some sort of cover. That leaves me to believe I have a NEV-R lube hub with a cover or a conventional hub. When I take it to be serviced I'll just have to make sure I can watch the service tech when he packs the bearings.

Again thanks for the information.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I think you missed the fact that Nev-R-Lube hubs only come in 6 or 8 lugs. I believe that all Hi-Lo's come with 5 lug hubs.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #15

You are right. My trailer has 5 lugs, which means, that I have the standard bearings. Now I have to decide if I should have the bearings repacked and when. The previous owner told me that the trailer has never been used. I pulled the trailer home, about 50 miles, and the hubs felt cool.

I owned a travel trailer years ago, 1977 to 1985 and, as I remember, I repacked the bearings my self in the driveway and put in new seals. I remember thinking, at the time, that the bearings looked fine when I cleaned them and repacked them. This time I probably have someone do it for me.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhonkmon View Post
Remember to use the same flavor of grease that's in your bearings now. You are not supposed to mix diferent greases together. Take some photos.
Yeah I agree you should not really "mix" grease, oil or whatever kind of lube you're talking about, but EVERY time I have ever re-packed bearings, I have cleaned ALL of the old grease away... so what would it really matter?...

The "issue" I have with "E-Z lube, Nev-R-lube" or any other kind of "care-free" hubs you want to use, is if you have a grease fitting on it, you can "over fill" the hub and the cap can pop off while you are away. Not to mention, you can force grease out through your seal and now you have grease in with you brakes...

Re-packing hubs is such an easy job, I would just rather do it by hand... you also get to actually inspect the condition of your bearings, races and hubs.

Consider it a once a year inspection...

"Preventive maintenance" not "Reactive maintenance"...
davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #17

Thumbs up Answer to Darryl's query

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperD View Post

Darryl
Darryl;
I'm a retired aircraft mechanic, and if you send me your e-mail address, I will send to you a definitive protocol that I gave to my RV service guys on how to do it right.
Mel
mdgoddard3021@i-zoom.net
Mel Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDgent View Post
To clarify ... Lithium grease is lithium grease regardless of the manufacturer just as 10w-30 oil is 10w-30 oil, of course it nice if you stay with the same manufacturer (at least they will say so) but nothing catastrophic will happen if you use the same type of lubricant from different manufacturers. I know not everyone will agree with that statement but if you do not I suspect you have been subjected to some really good advertising or sales pitches.

I also grew up on a farm and as Sting stated we didn't worry about brand, age or anything other than "quantity" of grease on the bearing ... I have to believe it was because of the low speed most of the equipment was subjected ... never more than 20 mph. My dad was more particular about what went into the family car and the trucks and tractors, which got regular maintenance recommended by the manufacturer. Thus I would suggest maintaining your Hi-Lo wheel bearings according to the manufacturers recommendations ... especially you rebels towing them 80 mph down the interstate!
John, I was not doing 80 mph, maybe 70-75, but not 80.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote