Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Default Replacing our tires

Well we went with the trailer aid plus and are waiting for it to get here so that we can replace all four of our tires. We brought our HiLo home (roughly 400 miles) after buying it last summer. At that time I knew nothing about tires, dot codes, etc. After reading this forum I checked our tires and we had two 2004, one 2001 (yikes!) and one I could not find a dot code on. Is that even possible? Could it be on the inside? Needless to say we are replacing all four before our first trip the last weekend in June. I feel lucky that we made it home last year without incident!

Will probably be getting them at Discount Tire as there aren't that many tire places in our area and I really don't want to order them online. Might have to tho if Discount can't order them. They aren't in stock in our local one.

The size we need is the 205/75 R15 I think we are going with the Maxxis but I only see a C load rating on Discount's website and I don't see the weight limit per axle or ply rating that I see others mention in other posts. Am I missing something?

Also we order a scissor chock along with the trailer aid plus but only one. Do we need two or is one sufficient?

Kathy

zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #2

Default Discount Tire

Discount Tire is where I purchase all of my tires. Their stores are most places I travel to and through. I have had only one tire problem and went to a Discount Tire over a hundred miles away and they took care of replacement with no problem.

Not to mention a lot of their tires have rebates as high as $50 and more. Along with that I order my tires through Ebates which gives additional rebates.

dallasnarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
Well we went with the trailer aid plus and are waiting for it to get here so that we can replace all four of our tires. We brought our HiLo home (roughly 400 miles) after buying it last summer. At that time I knew nothing about tires, dot codes, etc. After reading this forum I checked our tires and we had two 2004, one 2001 (yikes!) and one I could not find a dot code on. Is that even possible? Could it be on the inside? Needless to say we are replacing all four before our first trip the last weekend in June. I feel lucky that we made it home last year without incident!

Will probably be getting them at Discount Tire as there aren't that many tire places in our area and I really don't want to order them online. Might have to tho if Discount can't order them. They aren't in stock in our local one.

The size we need is the 205/75 R15 I think we are going with the Maxxis but I only see a C load rating on Discount's website and I don't see the weight limit per axle or ply rating that I see others mention in other posts. Am I missing something?

Also we order a scissor chock along with the trailer aid plus but only one. Do we need two or is one sufficient?

Kathy
Kathy, I believe you can have Discount Tire special order load range D tires in the ST205/75 R15 size. I know I did before I was able to upgrade to a larger sized wheel and tire. In Tucson, it only took a couple days for the tires to arrive.

You can download a .pdf file containing the Maxxis tire specs here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWc&cad=rja

Note if you get the load range Ds and inflate to 65psi, they're good to 2150# load each.

- Jack
Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post

Kathy
Kathy,

Do yourself a favor and check out the Gremax tires you can find at your Uniroyal dealer. I bought a set of [4] 10-ply based on the recommendation of the Uniroyal tire shop manager who says it is the best selling tire here in the Hill Country [Fredericksburg, TX] with the ranchers and cattlemen. He told me he has had no more than a couple returned for replacement and that it is their best selling trailer tire; they are also considerably less expensive than some of the more popular brands recommended here on the forum. I believe they are made in Great Britain.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote