Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #21
Site Team

That WAS me, Rick - I have to admit I didn't understand why a stronger rated axle wouldn't fit either, but I was new to the world of travel trailers at the time and didn't see a clear way to question it.

AND - I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the bearing spec numbers! I suppose they're very meaningful to someone who works with bearings for a living though.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #22

Marinn - have you considered the Timbren axle-less suspension?

I've checked pricing on them, and they're kinda competitive with conventional axles in price.

Axle-Less Product Finder - Timbren Suspension Products

You could go with either the 3500lb single "axle" or get two 2000lb single "axle" to retain your 4-wheel setup.

IIRC the 2000lb single "axle" is about $600

They have both short arm and long arms, and you can specify no lift or 4" lift.

I bet you could email/call them and they'd have very good advice. A friend of mine used them for suspension on a small 4WD trailer (he tows it behind a jeep on serious trails) that's very light (maybe 1200 lbs) and they got him setup with just the right spring rate.

Since they come with spindles you just swap your existing backing plates/drums/wheels (provided they match which i'm sure Timbren can tell you).

Yea, I'm sure I sound like a salesman for them, but I really have no relation to them- just my friend's recommendation (and I know how heavily he researches ANYTHING he gets into).

KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #23
Site Team

They ARE impressive! Can you imagine dual 3500's with 4" lifts? You could most anywhere.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
They ARE impressive! Can you imagine dual 3500's with 4" lifts? You could most anywhere.
Tree

Now THAT's my kind of thinking!

Heck, I'd even live with it being a little taller than the truck - it would still be way better than a conventional camper.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #25

I made all the measurements and all match the bigger axles. I dont know the new one's bolt hole location or my old ones hub diameter but will measure with hub off soon.
I dont think there are minute differences in axle measurements so cant imagine what metric would make it not fit other than where the bolt holes are.
I have a keen set of drill bits.
I dont mind at this point to buy four new drums if hubs dont match.
Hoping brakes fit. They seem to b 3500 brakes anyway with 2 1/4 wide pads.

Yes ive seen the Timbren. Very nice very very pricey. But going to single axle would never work n one 3500 lb axle on a 4000 lb trailer.......

I have a few days to figure all this out. Im driving the 16 hrs to pick them up soon. Headed that way anyway so really only a few minutes out of the way. But wont b returning them.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #26

"Keen drillbits"...yep, my kind of thinking!
Yea, Timbren could get pricey for a 4-wheel setup (about $1500 I think).

How much are the new axles?
Old 10-29-2017, 09:42 PM   #27

new for the pair I want to get at $300. but it comes with non-brake hubs, so either I swap my drums and brakes over or get new drums and brakes… new drums and brakes at least $400 ;off my memory.

on another note:
Slightly used 2,500 lbs axles for sale, may not have any travel in the suspension, but solid otherwise. make offer… lol
Old 10-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #28

Wow, yea that's a heckuva lot cheaper than the Timbren!

Any reason why you wouldn't swap your brakes/hubs over? Last set I did was a conversion from surge hydraulics to electric (long story). It's just 4 bolts on the hub. Not terrible while on the trailer, would be a piece of cake while the axle is still off. IIRC my cost on the brakes (backing plates) was around $200, another $100 for the drums ( at Tractor Supply/Central Tractor).
Old 10-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #29

I'm going to measure the bearings today to see if they match. If they do not then I would need new drums to fit the bearings on the new axles, then am unsure if I can get drums to match the current brakes I have, but I think they will match. And maybe the old axles will sell for a few bucks more if they are complete with brakes and drums… There are always people who will buy anything, I sold my old tires and wheels for $100 bucks to a guy just needing to roll around the farm…
Old 10-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #30

Will buy the wrong axles, and the trailer shop said they can weld on a bracket to make it work for around $230 including mounting the axles to the trailer. Mine have center to center frame measurement of about 3 inches wider than the new axles, but I still come out way better price than correct new axles, which I cannot find to fit anyway.
There seems to be very limited supply of 2,500lb torsion axles out there, most are 2,000 or 2,200 or 3500. I will go 3500. And none I see have the right measurements.
So, for about $500-550 I get new axles, that work, and about a 5 inch lift.
Will know next week when I take it in, and also if old brake drums swap over or not. If not, I may just put brakes on one axle. Big truck, so this trailer weight is not an issue.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #31

Picked up the trailer from the welder today. He welded the axles on. I wanted brackets to bolt to, but this is what they did. Not a problem really and much stronger I guess for whatever thats worth.
These have 45 degree down sloping axle arms vs the stock 0 degree. All the lift is from that plus about 1.5 inches where the axle mount is taller.
Two 3,500 lb axles - $310 on ebay, which I picked up in person in MI. $350 to the welder.

Original trailer height. Sorry is dark, look at the hubs compared to the side. Almost no ground clearance, miserably minimal ground clearance.

With lift. Should clear a lot more obstacles on the dirt roads and driveways now. Much easier to work on under, and the BIGGIE, you can change tires!
I think when I put the weight distribution bars on the truck will sit up more and I can drop the hitch one notch then the roofs will be more level to each other.

Almost level with the truck. Good for mpg's,

Another view.

The axles are about 1 inch more narrow, so ˝ per side, more than enough wiggle room under fenders for this, and gives an extra bit for changing tires if that is even needed now.
Now on to more renno. Body work, solar, more batteries, blinds and personal touches.
Will get under-side pics of the weld when sun comes out.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #32

More pics.
[IMG][/IMG]
Welded on axles

Too dark

another dark shot

The original stock axle. I think the welder welded two 2 inch square tubes next to the square tube this axle sits under. The new square tube is what new axle sits on and is welded to. Raining so when dry I can crawl under for better pics.

Over-all I am very happy with the result. I got the lift, heavier axles (3500 vs 2500 lbs) - they are actually lighter actual on the scale than stock, so now can take the trailer with less chance of scraping or ripping off the storage boxes and skirting.

About 5 or 5.5 inches higher than before. I measured from top of inner fender well to tire. Before my hand could slip between barely, now there is more room. Will use measure tape when rain stops…

Thanks for watching.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #33
Site Team

Those look great! I know you'll appreciate the higher wt loading limits.

I think though, since your trailer sits higher, you will end up possibly RAISING your hitch to get everything level and to have the tongue weight distributed properly over your truck's axles.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #34

Not sure if pics appear in previous post.

Original trailer day of purchase with low axles.

Back from welder, new axles, higher by 6 or so inches. 45 degree torsion axle instead of stock 0 degree.
Best non-intended benefit: Tire changes are easy.
Truck is not loaded down, it has the Carolina Squat from PO putting a leveling kit that makes the front sit high. Project for the future…

Original axles.

New axles.
Waiting on new brake pads to put the old brakes on…
Happy with result. Have not towed except towing home from welder, Unsure of precision of alignment of wheels.

The axles were not 1 inch more narrow;they were identical as I originally told them, other than the mounting plate. The shop guys at welder said they were but they measured from brake drum to brake drum and did not account for the half inch extra on the drum where the wheel bolts on. So, they told me an inch. I questioned, stating that I doubt there are too many axle styles out there that one would be 1 inch different. All I had ever seen was differences by inches, obvious differences, not minuscule ones….Never trust anyone too much.