Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #1

Default surge brakes

don't know much about surge brakes, going to pick up a 64 Hi Lo. I should be ok that my pickup doesn't have a brake controller with this setup right? is it a big deal to convert to electric brakes once I get it home?

BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #2

From what I've heard, changing over to electric brakes requires an axel swap. I've also heard you can get surge brake parts from boat suppliers. I personally haven't touched the brakes on mine, I have a 1969 20 foot hi lo and the brakes don't work on the trailer. I just downshift my truck as I'm slowing down and I can get stopped pretty quickly.

guitarman023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #3

I would ask? Do you have enough truck to handle it? By handling I don't mean pull it; rather steering and stopping if the surge brakes don't work as new?
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

Default surge brakes

Should have enough truck, chevy silverado 5.3 V8 Trailer is 18' says "Caravan" Hi-Lo, am guessing around 3000-3500 lbs? will tow it 800 miles home, mostly freeway, will check & grease bearings before leaving.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #5

Depends on where you live.

I wouldn't do that tow in the Rockies, or any other mntn areas. Iowa, sure.

The brakes on my 85' were brand new when I bought it. Had never been hooked up.
If you get stopped or contact with the law there are hefty fines for unsafe towing!
But truly, the worst is if you hurt someone else.
Good quality brake controller will only set you back $70+/- if you install it yourself.

I have no knowledge in the surge brake dept. Just because it is old school, doesn't make it unsafe.

With a moniker like "BattleBorn" I would think a Nevadan. The state slogan, and on our state flag!
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #6

First of all, it is not a good idea to tow a trailer like this with inoperative trailer brakes, even if you think the truck can handle it. Without brakes, the trailer will push against the tow vehicle every time you stop, and if there is a sway, the trailer can jackknife because there is nothing to control it. Moreover, inoperative brakes mean that the trailer has no breakaway brake capability.

Surge brakes are very common on boat trailers because electricity and water do not mix well They work OK but are not as smooth or progressive as electric brakes. I am not familiar with the hi-lo setup. It may be that you can still get parts for the surge brakes or can convert them to newer surge brakes. Do some online searches for trailer brakes and you will find a number of sources.

You may or may not be able to convert to electric brakes with the existing axles. If the axle spindles work with electric brake drums, you may only need to have someone modify, cut, weld, etc. the backing plates. I recommend that you find a shop experienced with trailer brakes and have them take a look at it.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #7

The following is a true story of a former neighbor/ remaining friend of mine.

Years ago he moved from LA, Cal. to Mobile, AL. Using his F150 (w/the small V8 gas engine) he pulled a 24 foot boat, powered by a large Volvo engine (below deck). It rode on a heavy iron trailer with surge brakes.

My guess is his trailered weight exceeded his TV weight. He claimed it was uneventful. I would not have tried this stunt.

Closing note, he taught me how to drink - maybe that helped him thru it.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #8

Default Brakes

I agree with comments here, And yes, from Reno. Pulling a trailer without brakes is not something I desire to do. I will use a sway bar, became big fan of sway bars 10 yrs ago, Have towed 26 ' airstream dual axle with brakes on only one axle and felt comfortable, current 14 ' trailer has no brakes being under 1500 lbs and have towed all over with no issues,am traveling to Helena Mt area and am already in contact with a trailer shop there with guy who has had success converting several older trailers to electric, he says it's not a slam dunk though as he needs correct parts to make work and some trailers he had to go with new axle. He said he has many years exp rebuilding surge brakes but he hates them, says they only make sense on huge trailers like big boats because it takes so much mass and enertia for them to work, however you don't need a brake controller with it as they work independently from tow vehicle, SO, my plan is to hopefully get seller to drop off with him for a couple weeks to see if he can convert to electric, if not then get the surge brakes working again.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:31 PM   #9

It is good that you are thinking about the electric brakes. In South Carolina, a camper with a gross camping weight over 3,000 lbs. is required to have a brake controller and electric brakes. I'm surprised Hi-Lo even manufactured a camper with surge brakes and weighing that much. Maybe prior owners had the camper converted to surge brakes. Probably, some states allow surge brakes with over a 3,000 lb. camper, ready to camp. If you are planning long trips outside of your state and into states which prohibit the camper "as is," you might conclude that a brake controller and electric brakes are the way to go.

Dee
2509 Hi-Lo Classic
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:42 AM   #10

Nevada state law requires brakes for anything over 1,500 lbs:

Towing World Official Website
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
I agree with comments here, And yes, from Reno. Pulling a trailer without brakes is not something I desire to do. I will use a sway bar, became big fan of sway bars 10 yrs ago, Have towed 26 ' airstream dual axle with brakes on only one axle and felt comfortable, current 14 ' trailer has no brakes being under 1500 lbs and have towed all over with no issues,am traveling to Helena Mt area and am already in contact with a trailer shop there with guy who has had success converting several older trailers to electric, he says it's not a slam dunk though as he needs correct parts to make work and some trailers he had to go with new axle. He said he has many years exp rebuilding surge brakes but he hates them, says they only make sense on huge trailers like big boats because it takes so much mass and enertia for them to work, however you don't need a brake controller with it as they work independently from tow vehicle, SO, my plan is to hopefully get seller to drop off with him for a couple weeks to see if he can convert to electric, if not then get the surge brakes working again.
Incidentally, If you decide to stay with surge brakes, consider switching from drums to discs. I have a few friends with boat trailers that have switched and have found that they work much better.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote