Old 04-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #1

Default Tires & load ratings

I've asked the experts about going up on a higher load range tire for my camper, from C to a D. They said stick to the load range tires the camper sticker had on it. The higher load range tires don't mean there better tires, just means they can haul more weight. They are just as pron to blow out and they don't shed the road heat no better. Axles have a load rating on them too. You can go as high as you want in load range tires but you still can't haul no more that your axles will allow. Also tire rims are rated too. To much air can blow out a rim. So,more money more air , rougher ride with the higher load rated tires.They recommended the higher speed tires! Please don't ask me any questions about tires, sometimes i couldn't tell you my name, with out looking on my Drivers license. LOL, LOL ASK THE EXPERTS! www.etrailer.com
bigbar

bigbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #2

bigbar, don't know who the experts are, never met them, but I know that on MY HI Lo, load range "c" tires were the BARE MINIMUM for the weight of MY trailer. I upgraded to "D" range cause of the weight I carry, and knowing they are safer than what was on there. I still stay at about 65 mph + or - a few. Tires Plus and Tire Barn both said standard rims are tested to about 100 psi or more during QC inspections, so a difference of 15 psi means nothing--they weren't even selling me rims!
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
bigbar, don't know who the experts are, never met them, but I know that on MY HI Lo, load range "c" tires were the BARE MINIMUM for the weight of MY trailer. I upgraded to "D" range cause of the weight I carry, and knowing they are safer than what was on there. I still stay at about 65 mph + or - a few. Tires Plus and Tire Barn both said standard rims are tested to about 100 psi or more during QC inspections, so a difference of 15 psi means nothing--they weren't even selling me rims!
Tree
Hey treeclimber, sounds like to me the HiLO people made a bad mistake on your sticker. Your sticker rating should have cover your max weight you could carry and the tire rating. I know if i was with in 400 lbs i would go to a higher load rated tire.
bigbar
Old 04-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #4

bigbar, that's what I'm saying. I have a 27'er and the same load range tires were on the 19'er and the 24'er that I've owned, as well as the many Hi Los I've updated and repaired. Seems they put LR "c" on all their units. Just seemed smarter to up the load range for safety. Regardless of what people say, LR "D" IS better than "C"s. If your (LR "c") tires are at or near max weight and you impact a pot hole or the raised edge of an overpass, what the result? Now with the same weight and LR "D" tires, I'm sure the results wouldn't even be noticed, cause nothing would happen.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 04-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
sam

Default Tires

Seems to me I remember a discussion about some of the HiLo trailer sticker being in accurate for weight. Weigh your trailer when it is loaded for a trip. The weight on truck scales will give you correct information.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
bigbar, that's what I'm saying. I have a 27'er and the same load range tires were on the 19'er and the 24'er that I've owned, as well as the many Hi Los I've updated and repaired. Seems they put LR "c" on all their units. Just seemed smarter to up the load range for safety. Regardless of what people say, LR "D" IS better than "C"s. If your (LR "c") tires are at or near max weight and you impact a pot hole or the raised edge of an overpass, what the result? Now with the same weight and LR "D" tires, I'm sure the results wouldn't even be noticed, cause nothing would happen.
Tree
Treeclimber, I wonder if those people up there dranked a little and got things cross up. Your right, i've got a paper here with 18 to 24 ft TLs and TDs and TB all with 13 inch tires and load range c. Mine is a 97 21ft towlite , this paper says unloaded vehicle weight is 2760 loaded is 3900 lbs. Tires rated c 1350 @50psi all 4 tires would be 5400 lbs. You think i'm good or would go with the D rated tires. The axles are 2410 per so two of them would be 4820 lbs so my tires are still higher than my axle wt and 1500 lbs higher than my loaded V weight. What you think ? bigbar
Old 04-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #7

bigbar, somewhere on the forum or you can check the internet for "tire date codes", these tell you the date of manufacture. Most RVers change tire at the 5 yr mark. I had a SPARE that was original to the Hi Lo dated 2002, totally rotted out on the bottom. I believe it's a 3 letter code (which tells you the place of manufacture) followed by a 4 digit numeric date. First number is the year next three is the day of the year. today is 8 (yr) 107 (day of the year) thus 8107. This is typical, but not always the same! I SUGGEST that if you are near or passed the 5 yr mark, and your considering new rubber, that you go for LR "D". They really don't cost much more. If you do purchase a set of ANY tires, try to ensure those date codes are the same. That goes for ANY type, size, or load range - - even for your tow vehicle/car.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 04-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #8

Bigbar - Like Tree, my trailer came with wimpy tires when I bought it new in 2007. My trailer's max gross weight is 3800# and the puny Load Range C tires that came on it were rated to 3500# for the pair. I weighed my trailer on a CAT scale and found that if I left the fresh water tank empty, it weighed close to 3500#!, so, I had NO margin of safety.

In the second year I had the trailer, both tires failed due to cord separation. I replaced them with MAXXIS Load Range D tires and have had no more tire problems. I inflate them to the 65psi LR D pressure for every trip too, since inflating them to a lower pressure reduces their load carrying capability. Yes, my axle is also rated to only 3500#, but I believe it is designed with a somewhat higher margin of safety than the tires.

Like Tree, I think using tires with a higher load rating makes perfect sense, and he's dead on about the date codes and lifetime of trailer tires too.

- Jack
Old 04-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to garyk52

The date of manufacture is the last four digits of the DOT code. The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. For example, if the last four digits of the DOT code are 0203, that means that the tire was manufactured during the second week of the year 2003.

If you have a 3 digit code the tires are way way old

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4X4 29000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Bigbar - Like Tree, my trailer came with wimpy tires when I bought it new in 2007. My trailer's max gross weight is 3800# and the puny Load Range C tires that came on it were rated to 3500# for the pair. I weighed my trailer on a CAT scale and found that if I left the fresh water tank empty, it weighed close to 3500#!, so, I had NO margin of safety.

In the second year I had the trailer, both tires failed due to cord separation. I replaced them with MAXXIS Load Range D tires and have had no more tire problems. I inflate them to the 65psi LR D pressure for every trip too, since inflating them to a lower pressure reduces their load carrying capability. Yes, my axle is also rated to only 3500#, but I believe it is designed with a somewhat higher margin of safety than the tires.

Like Tree, I think using tires with a higher load rating makes perfect sense, and he's dead on about the date codes and lifetime of trailer tires too.

- Jack
wow! I thought the federal gov, made sure all this stuff was right or the DOT. But
Thanks for all the input, I'll be going for D rated tires on my towlite. I run them on my 5th wheel anyway.
Thanks to all, bigbar
ps! Why don't a bunch of ya'll invest a little and start your own company and build a better camper And do away with those blank cables !