Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 07-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #1

Default 2404t end caps loose

hello, this is my first time inquiring on the forum. i usually find the info i need through the threads, but having a hard time finding any info on loose end caps. on my trailer the front and rear caps need to be recaulked, after reading other threads, i purchased some lexel caulk to do this job with. the problem i'm facing now is that the sides have come loose. are they stuck to the camper sides with double sided tape? i see no screws and am wondering if i should add some down the sides as the top and bottom have? any help from fellow hi lo owners would be greatly appreciated! thanks, todd

campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Todd -

My 1707T has screws about a foot apart down the sides and across the bottom of the front end cap. The rear cap has just one screw near the top and bottom of each side and it looks like there may only be one near each corner of the bottom. *shrug*

If you can tell there's wood behind the cap, there's no reason not to use screws.

- Jack

Old 07-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #3

thats kinda what i was thinking, but wanted to see what others thought. i'm heading to the hardware store to pick up some screws. thankyou, todd
Old 07-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Campman,

We have a 2406 T and have had a problem very similar to yours. I am going to provide you a couple of links to refer to on how a couple of us handled the shroud problem. I'm sure your shroud, like mine, is a plastic shroud, which Hi Lo used in some 2000 models to cut back on the expense of a fiberglass shroud that they normally used. Maybe you can get some ideas from several of these posts.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/...1583/#post9885

Take a few minutes to go through this series. While it is mostly about our roof repair, there are some pics that show how I removed and replaced the caulking on the end caps. I would suggest that you check your roof out and make sure you don't have the electrolysis problem that some of the Hi Lo's with metal roofs have experienced; again, due mainly to poor workmanship when they applied the roof.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f25/roof-repair-1685/

Due to the age of your Hi Lo and the similarities to ours, you may want to give your windows a real close check. The factory used a very poor butyl tape and oftentimes some other gooey stuff to seal the windows. Most wall damage is a result of leakage around the windows so you may want to review this as well. It is not as difficult as you may think. Check the posts here:

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f36/caulking-tip-186/

Good Luck on your end caps.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #5

thankyou jerry, you and jack were very helpful to me on this repair. todd