Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 07-02-2017, 02:24 AM   #1

Default awning

Hi
I broke the gray clip on the top of my awning arm will it still work. I have attached a picture. Also has anybody found a good product or hack to protect awning from sun?

Lincow
2202 TD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rv.jpg (213.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Awning clip (1).jpg (6.6 KB, 117 views)

lincow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Team

I've painted the top of the awning fabric on my trailer with two coats of white, elastomeric roof paint. I covered the area from where it attaches to the roof of the trailer down to a bit over halfway over where it goes over the roller.

This way, when the awning is stored in the retracted position, that area of the fabric is protected from the sun. Elastomeric paint is very sun-resistant and is flexible, so it doesn't interfere with the way the awning functions.

I've noticed that when Hi-Lo awning fabrics fail, they tend to do it up near where they meet the roof. Elastomeric paints have been used to protect cloth awnings in Tucson from the sun and I think it should work the same on a Hi-Lo awning. I applied this paint about 4 years ago, and the awning is in perfect condition.

- Jack

Old 07-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #3

Hi
I was thinking of using eterna bond or other newer paints than elastomeric there are a lot of new flexible paints. But I wanted to make sure I can get it rolled back and in place with that broken slider catch. Thanks good to know that elastomeric does work for 4 years.
I am in Las Vegas the sun is a big issue.
lincow
Old 07-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
Site Team

lin, I'm pretty sure that's the kit I used to repair mine. Was on one of my other Hi Los, but I remember it being a simple fix.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Meant to add that I do the same thing Jack does with the elastomeric sealant, done that to all the Hi Los I've had.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 07-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
sam

Default Same here

DH used the dior product he used to coat our rubber roof on the exposed side of the awning. That would be when the awning is rolled up. I am aware of a plastic snap on protector piece. Possibly Camping world sells this. Our coating has held up for several years.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
Site Team

The elastomeric coating I use is Henry's - Home Depot sells it. The one I used is warranted for 7 years. They have a more expensive version that is warranted for 10 years. And, today I saw a new product they are selling that is quite expensive that has a Lifetime warranty. I don't really think you need anything better than the 7 year product. It won't be subject to the expansion/contraction cycles you would get if it were on the roof of your home.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:00 AM   #8

Hi Treeclimber,
Were you able to open and close your awning with the broken slider catch? Did you drill out the rivet?

lincow
2202TD
Las Vegas NV
Old 07-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #9
Site Team

The awning worked like normal, but of course, there was NO protection against the wind. It was still stiff cause of the STAR nut. As you know, that LEG locks into place, then you tighten the star nut (I reach up and pull the leg tight while tightening the star). Yep, had to drill out the rivet. To do this, I removed the leg and did the work at the work bench. When installing the new rivet, DON'T tighten it too much, you want a little play in it. Then re-install.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 07-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #10

Thanks Treeclimber I have never had a awning my old tow Lite 1992 didn't have one. I want to open it and see if I can save it with a repair.
lincow
2202 TD
Las Vegas NV
Old 07-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
Site Team

Hope so! I've had to change 2 for friends, Just the fabric, but it took three of us almost two and a half hours. Good youtube on how to do it. They make it look easy. Good to hear from you again, lincow.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC