Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 08-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #21

Jerry
Thank you for the write up, I have saved it and will use it when I get around to changing the awning out. You were also right about the awning I purchased on ebay; it is about a foot too long. I believe the length of the awning on my 17 footer is 78 inches from the groove on the top to the slot in the reel when it is fully extended. I did find a seat cover shop in town that said they repair awnings so I will take it by there and see what they want to shorten it. The other option is to have the original awning repaired with 12 inches or so of new material as others have suggested. I would think modifying the new one would be cheaper but we will see. For now I used white duct tape to repair it so I can use it.

Dean

2002 Mercury Mountaineer
2011 Chevy Silverado with ARE cap
Western Virginia
watinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #22
Site Team

I think the awnings are failing along the top where they connect to the roof of the trailer? If so, that is sun damage and it can be prevented by simply covering that area to prevent sun from hitting it. A trailer cover does this, of course, as does putting the trailer under a "carport" kind of enclosure.

But, if you can't do either of these, I bet you could make a protective cover, perhaps out of a strip of plywood (painted of course) that could be fastened to the top of the awning at the roof line?

I'm just "thinking" here. My trailer is under a cover and I haven't had any problems with the awning.

- Jack

Old 01-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES
Default Replacement

It's time to replace my awning fabric. I was wondering if I should go with vinyl or acrylic. The main differences I see are with vinyl, it's more water resistant, builds up heat, and is repairable. As for acrylic, it's breathable so it doesn't build up the heat, not too water resistant, and is not repairable. Also, the vinyl is heavier, weightwise. Thoughts? Thanks.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
It's time to replace my awning fabric. I was wondering if I should go with vinyl or acrylic. The main differences I see are with vinyl, it's more water resistant, builds up heat, and is repairable. As for acrylic, it's breathable so it doesn't build up the heat, not too water resistant, and is not repairable. Also, the vinyl is heavier, weightwise. Thoughts? Thanks.
Hi Ruben,
Reads like you've done some research already! My suggestion is to go with whatever material has the greatest UV resistance.

When I replaced the top 14" of our awning (to replace the original sun-rotted material), I had our local boat cover shop use white boat cover material. So far I'm very pleased with the results. It is a tight woven material that is sealed on the under side. Looks good and doesn't weep or leak. I've thought that if I ever needed to replace the entire awning, this is a material I'd certainly check out with a cost comparison.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
Hi Ruben,
Reads like you've done some research already! My suggestion is to go with whatever material has the greatest UV resistance.

When I replaced the top 14" of our awning (to replace the original sun-rotted material), I had our local boat cover shop use white boat cover material. So far I'm very pleased with the results. It is a tight woven material that is sealed on the under side. Looks good and doesn't weep or leak. I've thought that if I ever needed to replace the entire awning, this is a material I'd certainly check out with a cost comparison.

Jim
Thanks for the info. Now to find a boat shop in the West Texas desert.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #26

Default Fabric

Replaced the fabric on our 1703 today, much easier and cheaper than I expected. Just over $200.00 from Shade Pro (619-328-1620), as you know these awnings are not a standard size but I just gave them the length and width measurements said it was an A&E brand and they had it on my doorstep a few days later.
Much has already been written about the installation so I will just add a couple photos which may help if you decide to tackle yours.

This is the only tricky part. Make sure your visegrips are on very secure,
the needle nose type fit best on ours. There is a moderate amount of spring tension so
be sure to hold when you remove the bolt from the cap and slide it out, hang on to those vise grips!!
I slipped and the pliers whacked me pretty good

Helps to have an assistant!

Dale & Deb
lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:37 AM   #27

When I bought my HiLo, the top of the awning was rotten also. Mine was only about 12". Sow I cut off the foot and resowed it and did not cost me anything except time. The awning is a little shorter but works. Someday I might decide to buy a new one.

tcongdon is offline   Reply With Quote