Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 06-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #1

Default Bees! How to access walls.

My mothers Hi-Lo has a case of the bees. A colony found the drainholes in the front fiberglass and set up shop under and to the side of the front window between the exterior and interior wall. Is there any way to access that area without cutting into the wood? I see a set of screws inside along the perimeter of the front wall. if i remove the bed and bench, do these secure the front wall?

Thanks.

Oboudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't think so. You seem to be describing the front "cap" area. There are screws on the exterior that hold the cap on. And, it is sealed with caulk, probably. You would remove the screws on the outside to remove the cap.

But, you'd better have a bee removal service deal with the bees first!

- Jack

Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
sam

Default Bees in HiLo

My uncle had an exterminating business. My first thought was to have an exterminator make a house call. Next you can call Jr repair to see if he has any advice about access to the interior wall. Ask the exterminator for any advice to prevent this from happening again.
sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #4

Thanks, that will save a lot of frustration. It looks like the screws are covered with some sort of special weather striping. Is that easy to find a replacement for?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #5

It looks like the window was put in place after the front cap.will this come out with the front cap or will I have to remove it first?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
sam

Default Taking out front window

We've taken out some of our side windows on our 90 HiLo Classic and resealed with butyl tape that we got at our HiLo dealer. This is a good view of the condition of the interior walls. This a two person job. On the inside take out the screws from the retainer frame and loosen the trim. Probably used a putty knife,5in one tool or screwdriver to do this. On the outside with the otherperson to steady the window pry the window out. Now for the unfun part. Spray the bees. You will have to scrape all the old caulk off,clean the area and let dry. Then apply the butyl tape. We were able to use two layers of tape. Reverse thye process. Keep checking the inside screws for tightness as they may loosen up with road vibration. I hope I gave you all the necessary steps to do this. Others add to this conversation.sam
sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #7

Sam, with all due respect, I think I'll kill off as many bees as I can before I remove the window!