Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #1

Default Complete awning replacement

We have a 1983 hi lo and we need help. We were in a really bad pop up storm with no warning and ever part of the awning is damaged. The support arms are bent in two, awning ripped, inside reel damaged, and arms support was ripped off trailer. We need the works!! Anyone have any idea where to start? We need to have brand new everything.

Rusted Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusted Tongue View Post
We have a 1983 hi lo and we need help. We were in a really bad pop up storm with no warning and ever part of the awning is damaged. The support arms are bent in two, awning ripped, inside reel damaged, and arms support was ripped off trailer. We need the works!! Anyone have any idea where to start? We need to have brand new everything.
Rusted Tongue,

Wow! I'm sorry to hear of your trouble. I see no out for you other than buying a complete awning setup and it sounds to me that it is possible that the present mounting locations may not be reusable.

If this were to happen to me, I would first repair all damage to the mounting locations on the Hi Lo; fill in the holes and caulk the damaged areas to protect from water and rain. Next, I would choose a wider awning if possible, or a slightly narrower one if you are already at maximum width; I personally would not want to reuse the old mounting area if it ripped out the screws/bolts. If I were to go back with the same size awning, I would move the mount locations from where the old awning was mounted to where you will be assured of having a solid backing for the new hardware. I suppose there is a filler that you could use on the old mount holes but the holding power would not be as strong as fresh solid wood.

Hopefully your gutter strip that the awning slips into was not pulled loose. If so, these holes can be patched/filled to accept new screws.

Hope this helps and Good Luck.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #3

I would start with my insurance company first. Hopefully you have insurance on the trailer. Next, I would contact J&R about the awning and parts. I believe HiLo awnings are a little different in size (shorter length extending out from trailer) than standard trailers. If I'm wrong on last statement someone will correct me. Good luck.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #4

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help. We will look into all our options.
Rusted Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote