Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 06-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #1

Default crack in body

HI all, On a very narrow mountain road, I scraped along some protruding branches. The damage was mostly cosmetic and can be cleaned up but there is a slight crack in the body of the trailer on the passenger side. My trailer,
a 2008 1508T, has what I think is a fiberglass surface. I am looking for any advice on patching this. I have done quite a bit of fiberglassing and am comfortable working with it. This crack is about 3 inches long and may not go all the way thru but I think in a heavy rainstorm some water could intrude.

I have attached a photo-any input would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1123.JPG (64.0 KB, 44 views)

DennisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #2

You may be looking for a pretty solution, and that's great. As I went through my rebuild, I knew things weren't always going to be pretty.

So there are a couple of spots where a crack or seam I had to introduce got "super taped" over using EternaBond RSW-4-50 RoofSeal Sealant Tape. It keeps the water out for sure and isn't an immediate eyesore from 10 feet.

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1999 3/4 ton 'Burb
1993 Roadmaster wagon (well, it probably won't pull it)
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #3

maybe two part epoxy... maybe dremel out the crack and float and fill new fiber...

its all ugly.... replace the panel....
The Ohioian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #4

After you are sure you stopped a leak have a sign shop make a stick on cover to confuse/ obfuscate the damage. I have just finished repairing the rear abs plastic cover. Here is what I covered the repair with:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0799.jpg (169.2 KB, 34 views)
Bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:24 PM   #5

We've used epoxy to fix rock damage off the back tires on the Tug, however once we made the repair we covered it with truck bed liner and then painted to match to add some extra strength
jjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #6

We had a 6 in upper corner crack, I used DiCor Lap Sealant It filled in and stopped all leaking.
Lws4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #7

[QUOTE=DennisB;43722]HI all, On a very narrow mountain road, I scraped along some protruding branches. The damage was mostly cosmetic and can be cleaned up but there is a slight crack in the body of the trailer on the passenger side. My trailer,
a 2008 1508T, has what I think is a fiberglass surface. I am looking for any advice on patching this. I have done quite a bit of fiberglassing and am comfortable working with it. This crack is about 3 inches long and may not go all the way thru but I think in a heavy rainstorm some water could intrude.

if you've done fiber then you know just drill each end clean out the crack and flow in and over. then seal, I mean just do it , you know you'll regret it if you don't
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:43 PM   #8

I have a 2006 28 ft HiLo that I believe has the same material as yours. If the crack is in the end caps, they are constructed much like a fiberglass boat with a gel coat finish. If the crack is in the side of your trailer, it is finished with a product called "Filon" manufactured by Crane Composites. I believe it is also a fiberglass product but is more like an Acrylic in the way the finish is applied.

Good luck with your repair. They are located in Illinois and have a website that might be able to give you more information.
rogerssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #9

Second on the Eterna-bond tape (or eternal bond). It is shiny white, and will do an excellent job, and is removable, but will not come undone. I have it all over my roof. If you are good with resins and can make it look like new then epoxy fiberglass it for sure, but for the rest of us I think the tape would look best. I would make a mess of fibergalss Im sure…. lol.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #10

FYI! If the end cap of your HiLo is ABS plastic fiberglass will not adhere to it.
Bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #11

I love this, great idea.....

Lws4049 is offline   Reply With Quote