Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 09-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #1

Default Emergency Window?

Hi all,

Has anyone had experience with using or testing the emergency window on your camper? Mine is over the kitchen counter/ sink area. I released the two red latches, then tried to push it out to see how it works but it is stuck. I banged it a little with my fist but didn't want to break it. Am I missing something? It would be nice to know it actually works in case of a fire.

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #2

I've unlatched mine when painting the frame and it should easily swing out once unlatched. You may have to take something outside and gently pry on it to get it to un stick. Sounds like it's just stuck from not being opened.

misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
sam

Default Emergency window

If you can pry the window open you could try some spray lube on it. If DH memory serves him well he says we got a new seal from our RV(HiLo) dealer and replaced the seal.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit429 View Post
I've unlatched mine when painting the frame and it should easily swing out once unlatched. You may have to take something outside and gently pry on it to get it to un stick. Sounds like it's just stuck from not being opened.

I'm sure it's never been opened before. Are these windows hinged on top somehow - the thing won't fall out will it? I will for sure lube it when I get it loose, Sam!

Thanks,
Old 09-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #5

yes it is hinged at the top. should swing freely once its opened. not sure what type of hinge though so I would be careful if opening it fully.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #6

Default Success!

Quote:
yes it is hinged at the top. should swing freely once its opened. not sure what type of hinge though so I would be careful if opening it fully.
Finally got the window open. It is indeed hinged at the top. although the hinge mechanism is not obvious, even when the window is swung open. The reason the window would not open is that a bead of silicon sealant had been laid across the top of the window. From the inside of the trailer, as I was prying on the window with a large, standard screwdriver (I wrapped duct tape around the tip first) I could hear the silicon breaking away from the window frame. I then went outside and saw the silicone bead so I cut it away enough to free the window. Not sure if this was a factory thing or if one of the previous owners applied it. I don't think it's really needed as the window frame has a seal, and the window is underneath the rolled up awning so it should be somewhat protected from the elements. I'll keep an eye on it though, assuming we ever get some rain here in dry and dusty California . . .

I highly recommend that if you haven't tested your emergency escape window, do so. It's comforting to know that it will actually work in an emergency!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #7

I doubt that was a factory bead of silicone and probably a reason it was there. You may want to get someone inside to watch as you run a water hose over it to see if it's leaking. Keep a towel handy as I suspect there will be a leak there. And the company that made Hi Lo windows was called Hess and i hear they are out of business.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
I doubt that was a factory bead of silicone and probably a reason it was there. You may want to get someone inside to watch as you run a water hose over it to see if it's leaking. Keep a towel handy as I suspect there will be a leak there. And the company that made Hi Lo windows was called Hess and i hear they are out of business.
Just washed the trailer before heading out camping on Wednesday (gotta look good going down the road!). While I didn't specifically spray that window as a test, I didn't shy away from it either. No leaks noted at this time but I'll keep an eye on it and perhaps give it a better test after we get back.

I did however see some water on the inside of the entry door window. The door has a wide, black plastic molding around it. Has anyone documented taking out this window and resealing it?

Thanks,
Old 09-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #9

I know they sell those plastic frames, interior and exterior, but I don't know how that window seals. I know on mine, there was water leaking between the frame and the window pane which did some damage to the bottom part of door. Someone has replaced about a 5 inch strip of the wallboard in inside of the door because of previous damage. I just caulked around the entire inside of the frame with silicone to seal it up but eventually I need to take the door apart and repair it right.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Just washed the trailer before heading out camping on Wednesday (gotta look good going down the road!). While I didn't specifically spray that window as a test, I didn't shy away from it either. No leaks noted at this time but I'll keep an eye on it and perhaps give it a better test after we get back.

I did however see some water on the inside of the entry door window. The door has a wide, black plastic molding around it. Has anyone documented taking out this window and resealing it?

Thanks,
The window on my entry door slid down and left a little gap on the top. Still haven't fixed it yet but here is the procedure.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f25/...r-window-3334/
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
The window on my entry door slid down and left a little gap on the top. Still haven't fixed it yet but here is the procedure.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f25/...r-window-3334/
Thanks, Ruben!