Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 02-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #1

Default front window awning

The awning on the front window of 06 towlite had become loose at the support arms that hold it open. The factory installed alumium pop rivets which were loose and about to fail. It was so bad I could not use the awning.
I removed these and installed stainless steel bolts, stainless steel nuts with nylon lock built-in and stainless steel washers. Where the support arms connected to the ABS plastic awning, I used stainless steel fender washers to lessen the stress on the plastic.
The other problem I had was the screw and wing nut. As you tighten to hold the awning open, it would spin and not tighten.
I removed this and installed a 5/16 x 1 stainless steel bolt and new larger wing nut (easier on the fingers). I had to grind down the top of the bolt so the thickless of the head would fit in the alumium track. The width of bolt head was just the right size so when you tighten the wing nut it does not spin the bolt.
Now,I should not have a problem with the wind trying to rip the awning off at the campground.

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
sam

Default Beefing up awning bracket on 90 25ft Classic

We had to beef up our awning bracket as part of our restoration. Hope my memory will be correct in our description of repairs. The anchor plates on the bottom of the top section were drilled out. Drill through the holes Drill 1/4 inch and then put carriage bolts through the inside rail into the bracket below. It is secured with washers and nuts(steel). Use stainless steel if you can find them 21/2-3 inches long. This is one area where it would be "so easy to be manufactured with sturdy hardwear".
sam is offline   Reply With Quote