Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 05-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #1

Default general preventitive maintenance

Well- after all this time reading about other folks doing stuff I'm getting around to doing some of my own. I re-sealed a window last year and am getting ready to do the rest as the trailer is pushing 14 years old. Everything else LOOKS ok and I am unaware of any leaks- but i am thinking to stay ahead of things. Suggestions as to what to get after and what to lay off of. ???

1. Roof. Aluminum. No pin holes or anything that I can see. Seal it with something anyway or wait?

2. Vents and AC. Old caulk getting dry but no cracks I can see. Scrape and re-caulk anyway? Leveling caulk on the top? Also- on the aluminum there are seams running horizontally. Do those?

Underneath stuff i do yearly, anyway. So that is just maintenance to me.

Am getting ready for a two-three week trip west this June. Want to get some done before I go and I have other minor repairs from stuff that shook loose this March back and forth to Florida. So I am getting on it. Old guy at trailer place near me ( Dutchman and previous airstream dealer ) said he had never heard of doing the windows just for preventitive but thought i should go after the roof stuff first.

Thanks everyone.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Default G p m

Hilltool, I just resealed my windows mainly because I heard it SHOULD be done. So I undertook the task, simple really. Did it need it? Well as the windows were removed, the original sealant was still sticky, however, I could see where some areas were brittle and would not have been long before water would have intruded. If you got the time, do it. My roof (aluminum) had a couple of areas where that were "bubbling", but not through yet! I didn't want to wait for that so I cleaned, primed, eatherbonded and Kool Sealed the whole top with two coats (I have a 24' and it took 1 gal) $25 at Lowes. Prior owner, great guy, had repacked bearings, but for my peace of mind, I redid them. In my humble opinion, if you have the time, don't put anything off.

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #3
sam

Default Maintenance

I defeniately would reseal the roof as this is "cheap insurance". Do take the time to pull and reseat/reseal all of your windows. This is way less time and energy than replacing wet damaged walls. Ask Papa Beach about this. The HiLo takes care of you so you must take care of it.
sam is online now   Reply With Quote