Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 03-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
sam

Default Hi Lo dealer visit today. When should be taken out and resealed ,reinstalled.

I asked our longtime HiLo expert when a window should be taken out for reseal. Older units have black seal that squishes out and should be replaced with butyl tape. Very important to always check your windows for caulk. Reapply caulk as needed. If the window seal fails then it most likely will result in major water dammage/wall replacement.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I asked our longtime HiLo expert when a window should be taken out for reseal. Older units have black seal that squishes out and should be replaced with butyl tape. Very important to always check your windows for caulk. Reapply caulk as needed. If the window seal fails then it most likely will result in major water dammage/wall replacement.
Did he have an answer? Or are you waiting on him to get back to you?

Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I asked our longtime HiLo expert when a window should be taken out for reseal. Older units have black seal that squishes out and should be replaced with butyl tape. Very important to always check your windows for caulk. Reapply caulk as needed. If the window seal fails then it most likely will result in major water damage/wall replacement.
Sam,

That is exactly what is wrong with our windows and they will all be changed out to a new butyl tape next week [after roof repairs are completed]. They are all black and brittle and really look crappy! After applying the new butyl tape, they will also get a bead of white 'big stretch' caulking.

I hope the new Hi Lo owners are taking notes!

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #4

Yeah make sure you apply something around the windows after you put new butyl tape, you probably don't to start repairing walls in a couple years
dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
sam

Default windows removal,resealing

The HiLo parts gave his answer. If you have a black squished out seal take the window out and reseal with butyl tape. Then put the window back in ,cut off any excess squished tape and apply caulk,Lexell to exterior of window. I took pictures and posted in detail in My 90 Classic HiLo restoration.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfan View Post
Yeah make sure you apply something around the windows after you put new butyl tape, you probably don't to start repairing walls in a couple years
Every penetration I have replaced with the butyl tape has been followed with some 'big stretch' white caulk. I will do the same when I replace the black window caulking.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
Old 06-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #7

Question replacing the window sealinghttps://www.hilotrailerforum.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

I have been reading about the Lexel caulking and the butyl tape for the windows. Mine is a 17' year 2000. Is this considered an 'older' model that would have the 'black squished out seal'? I am going to try and attach a picture.

I would like to know if I need to do the whole take the window out and replace with butyl tape or if I can just caulk with the Lexel.

I am a novice at everything about travel trailers. I inherited the HiLo and I would like to sell it, but I am wondering about the windows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HiLo window seal.jpg (81.0 KB, 44 views)
HiLo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #8

That is butyl tape getting squished out. If it is soft and gummy, just trim off the excess with a plastic putty knife or old credit card and caulk a thin bead of caulking (I use dicor non sag lap sealant) to seal. If it is hard and brittle, time to pull the window and replace the butyl tape.
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLo17 View Post
I have been reading about the Lexel caulking and the butyl tape for the windows. Mine is a 17' year 2000. Is this considered an 'older' model that would have the 'black squished out seal'? I am going to try and attach a picture.

I would like to know if I need to do the whole take the window out and replace with butyl tape or if I can just caulk with the Lexel.

I am a novice at everything about travel trailers. I inherited the HiLo and I would like to sell it, but I am wondering about the windows.
Hi Lo 17,

You might want to go to this link and scroll down to my write-up on our windows.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f36/caulking-tip-186/

I had to remove every window and replace the caulk. Your picture was pretty indicative of what I found. I found some of the black stuff, some of the slimy stuff. Some of it was dried up and brittle, some of it looked like liquid paste. I am glad that I took the time to replace it all with a good butyl tape, not the stuff they put in at the factory. I then put a rubberized caulk around each window and should have no problem for several years.

Jerry Curtis 2406 T
Old 06-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #10

Is there a post or thread that details how to remove the windows in order to put in the tape and re caulk??

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
sam

Default Replacing windows with Butyl tape.

I agree with the advice Jcurtis gave you. I haveread that windows should be taken out and new butyl tape put in if the Rv is ten years old. It is a do it yourself project. Look on you tube for a video on doing this. I have posted several times on how to do this. Search the internet for the best price on Butyl tape. Use Lexell caulk found at Ace Hardwear or on line should be $8.00 a tube. Try to find my old post on this. If this procedure is done you should not have window leaks that cause wall dammage(major repair).
Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
sam

Default How to rtake out window and reseal.

Look under off topic 1990 HiLo classic restoration. Some where in my five month restoration I have described in detail how to do this repair.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #13

Question What size of Butyl Tape?

I apologize if I posted this question twice. Not quite sure how all this works yet (the Forum, I mean) I noticed that there are different sizes of butyl tape. What width and thickness do I want for re-sealing the windows?
HiLo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLo17 View Post
I apologize if I posted this question twice. Not quite sure how all this works yet (the Forum, I mean) I noticed that there are different sizes of butyl tape. What width and thickness do I want for re-sealing the windows?
The type I used was in a stack of bulk rolls and was 3/4" wide and I believe 50' in length. They had removed it from the manufacturer's container so I don't know the brand. You should have no problem finding it at a name brand lumber company like Home Depot or Lowe's. I got mine at Pro-builders and Sutherland's. Do not buy their 3/8" butyl. It is too thin and too narrow. Tighten your window screws down tightly and trim off the excess before applying Lexel or or elastomeric caulk.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T