Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #1

Default Lock Problems

My 2408T came with a Fastec Industrial Corporation (FIC) entry door lock. Last time we went camping the deadbolt jammed and we had to get a locksmith to open the trailer. After he disassembled the lock we realized that the deadbolt mechanism was binding, even though it was well lubricated.

I replace the lock with a new FIC lock that I purchased from an Amazon.com retailer. The lock replaced the original one perfectly. Unfortunately, it too has problems. While the deadbolt works OK, the cylinder for the door handle lock does not. The key is difficult to insert and very difficult to remove. Using lock lubricant has not helped any.

I have a some of questions:

1- Have any of you experience problems with your FIC lock?
2- Have you used an alternative that works better?
3- I'm thinking of installing a stand-alone RV deadbolt and not locking the FIC lock. Have any of you done this?

The lock in question is the first one shown under "FIC Flush Slam Locks" here: Products

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #2

I had a bit of a problem when we first got our 2310H but over time the key went in easier. I think the little cover has something to do with it. Give it some time and maybe it will become more cooperative.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I had a bit of a problem when we first got our 2310H but over time the key went in easier. I think the little cover has something to do with it. Give it some time and maybe it will become more cooperative.
The cover is part of the problem, but not totally. If the key is inserted I can move the cover to the side with a small dental pick so it is not touching the key. Even after doing this there is a huge amount of force required to extract the key. Moreover, it takes a lot of force to turn the key once it is in.

I am going to contact the manufacturer, but I wonder if it will be a waste of time. This is why I wanted to see if my issues were common or isolated.

2408T
Old 06-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #4

You have probably already done this, but make sure the flipper is all the way down and flush with the face of the housing. I was just outside checking my lock and if the flipper was not down all the way the key did not want to turn and wanted to stick in the keyhole. I didn't want to force it and have a problem as well.

You should only lube with a little dry powdered graphite. Liquid lubes can collect dirt and gum things up.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
You have probably already done this, but make sure the flipper is all the way down and flush with the face of the housing. I was just outside checking my lock and if the flipper was not down all the way the key did not want to turn and wanted to stick in the keyhole. I didn't want to force it and have a problem as well.

You should only lube with a little dry powdered graphite. Liquid lubes can collect dirt and gum things up.
Rich, what do you mean by the flipper? Are you referring to the door pull on the lock or the deadbolt knob on the inside?

I use a spray recommended by my local safe and lock company. It is graphite in suspension in a solvent. After it is sprayed the solvent quickly evaporates leaving the graphite behind. I've been using this for years in many types of locks and it has worked well.

Raul

2408T