Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #1

Default Loose Screws

Just returned from a trip with our 2306C. While at the campground I noticed that several of the 1 inch stainless steel screws that hold exterior panels in place were very loose and one had been loss. This is not good for a couple of reasons and so I tightened all of them. I plan to apply some caulking compound to the tips of the ones I can reach after they are fully seated. I will just reach up and feel for them with some compound on my fingers. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I think the factory should have applied sealer to all exterior screws, did they miss mine for some unknown reason? Perhaps a bad day?

Kengsr

kengsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #2

Default loose screws

I took the time to remove all the exterior screws and install lock tight. the most important ones to do are the ones on the gide rales they can cauae the roof to jam if they come out. After seeing the problems it caused for a few of my customers, we started doing it before we sold a unit as part of the make ready. I do not know why HiLo does not. But the rough roads in Louisiana can cause any one to have a loose screw.
Sam

Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #3

Default Lock Tight

Thanks for the tip on the guide rails. I will buy some lock tight and apply. A jammed top could spoil an otherwise good day.

Kengsr
kengsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #4

Default I've got a few loose screws . . .

No snide comments, please!

Giving this thread a bump since I just discovered this maintenance item and found a few loose screws on the camper. Some of them just keep spinning.

Man, are there a lot of screws to check! How often should this check be done? Is locktight the best stuff to use?

Thanks,
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #5

Default Loose screws on threshold

Hi,
I am on the road and my screen door handle broke. I was looking at the door and the exterior threshold screw is coming out. The aluminum threshold the beads are loose.
Has any one made this repair or have suggestions.
Lincow
0222td
lincow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:13 AM   #6

Default Some General Screw Advice

The thread locking product I use is LOCTITE removable BLUE 242. The removable type is highly recommended when it is likely that a screw will have to be removed for any reason. To be honest, I would not dream of applying it to all the screws in/on my camper.

If a screw just turns in the hole without actually tightening, I replace it with one having the next size up thread, e.g. #8 to replace a #6. It is often necessary to drill the hole in the held item bigger to let the replacement screw fit properly. If you don't, it gets irritating when the held item gets pulled outward as you try and tighten the new, fatter screw. Be careful when drilling the held item - it is not a good idea to slip through and drill also the hole that the screw threads into.

If the screw that just turns in the hole is part of decorative or sealing strip and nearby screws are tight, I would be inclined to remove the screw, plug the hole with clear silicone caulk and push the screw back in.

That's my two cents worth!

Luisa.

Luisa48 is offline   Reply With Quote