Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #1

Default New Cover for trailer- questions

I bought an Adco cover for the trailer- called "Aqua Shed" and recommended for northern climates with rain and snow. Under $200.00 and not as well made i expect, as some of those that are more custom fitted but that also cost around $600.00 and would take me six weeks or more to get.

Anyway- aside from the "you get what you pay for aspect"----what types of precautions do you some of you living in similar regions take during the winter with a covered trailer? Brush off snow after a good storm? I wondered about wet snowfalls then more snow then warm then snow-----creating "ice dam" type scenarios under the snow on top. I may be over thinking this----but I am curious what your experiences are. This is a 2001 tow-lite that has always been garaged so is in pretty decent shape and would love to keep that way.

Thanks

rick (Wisconsin)

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #2

The thing you really need to look for is a cover that is breathable and will not trap moisture under it. Moisture is water, as we all know, and we know what moisture can do to our HiLo trailers. Sunbrella is a good fabric to look for. NEVER, NEVER tightly wrap a trailer with the cheap plastic tarps that are for sale everywhere. The word "cheap" could become very expensive in other ways. If you don't want to pay for a good cover, don't cover the trailer at all.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

Smile

I never cover my trailer. I just make sure the seams are sealed good and go from there. Note do you see campers covered at a dealership ?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

I smash styrofoam on all of the sharp edges to prevent my cover from tearing.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #5

Well

I used to work at a canoe dealership and we didn't cover the fiberglass and plastic canoes we had in the yard, either. But that doesn't mean it was good for them in the long haul.

However, I did a purchase a breathable cover and I appreciate the advice on not keeping it too tight . Just wondered if there we're other suggestions as well.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
sam

Default covering your HiLo

We are in the process of a total roof tearout and repair. After that I was given a cover which we will use. I remember someone in our HiLo NY camping club saying they used "pool noodles" to pad the awning hardwear. I think they also used the noodles at the corners so the cover had some wiggle room. Maybe like a frame. Pool noodles are cheap at the dollar store. Bubble wrap would also protect. Old carpet scraps or carpet padding. It is called recycle/reuse.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
sam

Default Rvs that sit on dealers lots.

Some of the RVS that sit on dealer lots end up with "lot rot". Water dammage and roofs that have gone bad.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #8

Those covers will probably do fine up north, but in Florida, the UV rays will eat up the cover within 2 years. I would keep the HiLo covered under a shade tree.
I ended up building a shed with a metal roof for my 22 foot HiLo after going through 2 covers. The first cover was covered under a warranty because it didn't last the 2 years.
sayhonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
sam

Default Soft propane ADCO covers.

We had the soft adco propane covers and the zipper failed. I went to our RV dealer to purchase a hard plastic one. Our dealer said to contact adco as it was under warranty. Adco was grumpy about this. I had to cut out the zipper and mail it to them. Our Rv dealer let us exchange the soft cover and pay the difference for the hard plastic one. We've had it several years and it has held up beautifully. Tip of the day,always do a walk around of your unit before you leave the service dept. of the RV dealership. Make you have your propane cover ect. The Rv techs get tired and things happen.