Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 08-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #1

Thumbs down New Owner of 2000 Towlite Needs Repair Help

Hi, my husband and I just bought a used 2000 Towlite without doing research first (bad mistake). We have never even camped before and we were so eager to get a hi lo that we didn't know what warning signs to look for. High winds had ripped the front and back cover off and they had repaired by pop riveting in sheet metal on front and back. The shower vent leaks like a sieve. There is major water damage at the front where the window covering was ripped off. The camper appears to have never been resealed. My first question is this: Where can we find the white vinyl window trim at the top of the windows? We are going to remove and recaulk them, but some of the trim seems to have been cut too short at the factory and there is about a 2" gap on the ends. If we can't find the trim, how do you suggest that we repair them so that they don't leak? Also what width of butyl tape should we buy to repair the windows? There is a crack in the fiberglass shell under the curve where the front window is. How to do you repair fiberglass? Another question is, what is the roof made of and what to use to reseal it? Any help would be appreciated. With all this being said, we still are in love with our hi lo.Thanks.

linda8228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
gus

Linda, If you have pictures of the damaged area it will help a lot with forum members to give a good advice, fiberglass repair is not hard, a fiberglass fabric, resin and hardener. Once its set and hard, it can be sanded painted and anything you want.

gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
sam

Default towlite repairs

Linda welcome to the forum. If I am remembering correctly our butyl tape we used to reseal our windows was 1". I would also recommend using Lexel caulk to reseal the exterior of your windows. It can be purchased at Ace hardware or on line. You tube has a video on how to remove/reseal your windows. Hope to see pictures soon so we can better assist you with your repairs.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #4

Can eternabond be used with lexell caulk on the roof line?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
sam

Default Roof repairs

Externa bond tape can be used on the roof. Search the archives for the source of a best price. What type of roof do you have? The answer to this question dictates what caulk product to use for repairs.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Externa bond tape can be used on the roof. Search the archives for the source of a best price. What type of roof do you have? The answer to this question dictates what caulk product to use for repairs.
It is aluminum. After cleaning, my husband noticed small pin holes in spots. We are going to put eternabond along the edge of the camper. What roof coating do you recommend to seal the pin holes and will adhere to the eternabond. We were planning on putting kool seal primer and coating. But will this be enough to stop the leaks from the pin holes? Be advise. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #7

Default Kool Seal

I used eternabond tape along the edges of my 1908T aluminum roof and
used Kool Seal for some pin holes in the middle of the roof. It is working well after applying it with a paint brush. Its been two years.

The pin holes occur where two different metals touch. In this case its
aluminum roof sheeting and steel screws in the roof bracing. Its called
electrolysis.

Wish you well with the repairs.

I'm dealing with rotting wood at the lift points.

Ray
raysnuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
sam

Default Roof repairs

Use Blue tape to give a crisp paint line at the edge of the roof. Carefully remove when you are finished applying the kool seal. Does anyone know what width externa bond tape she should purchase. I also remember someone that came up with the externabond tape at a good price on the internet.

Tags
resealing, roof repair, vent repair, window repair