Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 05-24-2017, 12:10 AM   #1

Smile New roof front to back, with upgrades

Soo I bought (I think) a 94. 22 foot. Love it. I've been planning some mods.
When I got it, it had damage to the front corner on the upper. They must have hit something in a tight turn or jackknifed it. They stuck a piece of temp patch on it. Yuck. The roof didn't leak but it had a lot of hail pits. Soooooo

I decided to replace the entire roof from front to back.
I got diamond plate piece for the front, a pre seamed aluminum roof roll, and a single aluminum sheet for the back. (About $550 for all of it)
I'm about 3/4 done
Pics coming soon
The front looks great.
As I rebuilt it, I'm replacing the interior board below the front window, possibly with hinges. It's always been a great storage spot for the BB gun and fishing poles.
I wanted to move to all LED lighting, and I got new driving red, and yellow lights. But the new ones are MUCH smaller. If I put them where the old ones were, it would leave holes, and really not look good, so with the new roof I'm doing the front and back, leaving the sides for now.
I'm using the original front skylight, after cleaning the frame and getting it flat again, it should be fine.
The second skylight, by the way is an emergency exit. It's been tricky trying to find a new lid, it's just lookin a bit worn. After removing it, I found its riveted to the frame. Im going to get an entire new frame and lid etc. looking now. I plan on just not cutting that hole in the roof till I get a new kit.
For the bathroom skylight, I always hated that noisy fan. As the fan is built into the cross frame, I just bought a whole new kit. At least I don't have to scrape and clean up the old one.
Important..... To clean up the old goo, and dirt and gummy stuff under all this stuff. Use flat head screwdriver to get as much as possible. Razor blades to get caulking off as best as possible without removing paint. But the best trick I found is using Mineral spirits to clean everything else up. Worked great. Not easy or fun, but it worked great.
Before I did the back, I wanted to add some wiring. I ran new wires down the drop loom of wires, to add a back up camera. I hooked the same system up to my aunts pop up. The kit I got comes with a screen, and 2 cameras, and a wireless set up for the 2nd camera. Very cheap. Couple hundred bucks for all of it. So for her the camera on the truck was wired for rear viewing, but pointed a little low to see the hitch. Makes it great for her to back up to her trailer alone.
The camera behind her trailer is wireless to the truck. No it's not a perfect steady picture 100% of the time (it's wireless) but for backing your trailer in, it's a god send. And it was cheap.
I also ran some new wire to add back up lights. Got some great white LEDS that are about half the size of the rear tail lights. The goal is to hook into my trucks reverse lights on the harness, and when I hit reverse, they light up. I've had to back this thing up in the dark to turn around and it really sucked.
I'm also looking into adding a switch inside that would allow me to turn those same lights on with the camper juice. Why not for 10$ if I hear a bear, I can turn something on......
Soo I'm into all of this for about 900$ so far.
I've heard that re doing the the roof can be 3-4 thousand dollars. Hehe
Pics will be added soon.
Hope this helps, or gives some of you guys some ideas.
Shea

Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
sam

Default Repairs

Wow,you have been busy and it all sounds wonderful. Post pictures soon. We got the last escape hatch plastic cover from our HiLo dealer. They are hard to come by. Maybe have one fabricated out of metal? We have done extensive repairs so I can relate. I would strongly advise you to take out all of your windows and reseal. Utube has a video on how to do this. We are here if you have any questions.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #3

Sounds like some neat work. I'm into my own roof right now, I'll look forward to pics of what you came up with!

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1999 3/4 ton 'Burb
1993 Roadmaster wagon (well, it probably won't pull it)
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #4

Wow, I can't wait to see the pictures when you get done.
low pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by low pressure View Post
Wow, I can't wait to see the pictures when you get done.
low pressure, I sent you a private message.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote