Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #1

Default Newer Hi-Lo Lexan front window

Does any one with a newer Hi-Lo that has the Lexan front window have any problems? Mine looks like it needs to be resealed. There is no window frame so how do you go about this? The Lexan looks to be laid on top of adhesive like a car windshield. There are two "bolts" at each side, but they have a carrige bolt style head?

btgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #2

There is little besides the sealant that holds the window. It requires two different kinds, DegaSeal 2000 and SikaFlex 221. I think you have to remove some trim inside to get to the bolts. The window material comes as a flat sheet like Plexiglass but I think it is a higher quality like Lexan. I had a warranty replacement of the window on our 2310H because the factory supplied tank cover rubbed a scratch on the center. They also replaced the stock tank cover with the optional fiberglass cover. The stock plastic cover was redesigned and stuck out far enough to make contact with the window, somebody at the factory wasn't paying attention to detail.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgorman View Post
Does any one with a newer Hi-Lo that has the Lexan front window have any problems? Mine looks like it needs to be resealed. There is no window frame so how do you go about this? The Lexan looks to be laid on top of adhesive like a car windshield. There are two "bolts" at each side, but they have a carrige bolt style head?
The window is set in place against a sealant and then it looks like they applied another sealant around the outside edge. If it is just this outside edge seal that has some cracks then I would remove any loose sealant with a putty knife or razor blade scraper. Clean the area (I use a lite wipe with a rag with some MEK on it) then reseal with Lexel. Lexel is the best sealant I have ever found. It is totally clear so you will not see it on the glass. Google Lexel sealant and read up on it. I would not believe that the inner seal has broken down so much that you need to remove the window. I resealed a new HILO at the national rally this past summer and it only needed the outer edge resealed.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #4

Default Lexan window

Hi Guys thanks for the info. And yes it has come loose. Rite at the top, a three foot length. Not just the caulk the adhesive also. I talked to Joel the former Hi-Lo plant manager. (Of course there is no warranty with Hi-Lo out of production). However, these are the folks that made the Hi-Lo. In my opinion still one of the best travel trailers so far. Joel said he still has the jig for the Lexan windshield on the 2010 and 2011. He will check on the current price for the Lexan sheet and get back to me. He told me how to do the replacement and/or bring it to his shop. If you have a Hi-Lo and need parts their web site is Home - The Only Official HiLo Repair Shop & Parts. If you type it in and it does not get you there do a search for Hi-Lo trailer parts. You'll know your in the right place when you see on the site their new Midget trailers. Even with this problem on my 2011 Hi-Lo 2311H I think this is a good unit. I've had 2 pickup campers and other towable units. They did not even come close to what you get with the Hi-Lo. By the way, I still have my 1969 Tow-Low. Very similar design. No wood frame, Aluminum folded joint roof, etc. Never had a roof leak.
btgorman is offline   Reply With Quote