Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #1

Default Patty O' Room Installation

I have successfully installed my Patty O' Room on two previous trailers with a straight front wall on each. Now, I am attempting to install it on my 2008 HiLo 22T. The problem is anchoring the side panels to the nonsymmetrical walls of the trailer with twist locks. I have not installed the screw-in twist locks yet to the fiberglass siding. In fact, I am looking for an alternative method to install these locks without having to screw them into the fiberglass. My idea is to make some sort of frame (maybe out of alumninum) matching the contour of the wall (raised position) for each side panel that could somehow be clamped top and bottom ? with the locks installed on the frame in their proper location. (I would have the front of the frame with the locks made to be parellel all the way down and the back to match the wall contour).

I know this seems like a lot (and a little crazy) to do just to install the locks, however, if I were to install them in the normal manner...1. I don't trust the stability of the fiberglass to hold the lock. 2. I can't put locks on the bottom wall of the HiLo or they will be sheared the first time I lower it. 3. I would have to cut the side panel somewhere in the middle to fit the cover to the wall contour.

Anyway, there is probably someone out there that already has the perfect solution for this dilema and so simple that it will prove I am overthinking this whole process. We use the Patty O' Room all the time...it is great.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #2

My first thought would be to procure some heavy duty Velcro, not the craft store type, and use it instead of the locks. It is pretty tough stuff. Fastenal stocks it.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
sam

Default Add a Room adaptations

I don't have an add a room. I used some heavy duty velcro on the underside of plywood to create a shelf on the bathtub in the Hi Lo. It works so well that It takes some brute force for this "big Mama" to pull it apart. Perhaps you could have an awning company come out to see your HiLo and you could brainstorm with them on the velcro idea. They have industrial sewing machines ans special thread. My hubby worked at such a place years ago. If you decide to go the velcro route and do it yourself you could do a search of internet suppliers. It might work to glue the velcro on as this what I did with my bathtub shelf. We did have an add a room on our 1966 Apache pop up. It was attached with zippers and some velcro.It had a rubber floor and we used to call it the rubber room. Hope this helps.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

You can search boat Bimini top hardware, I've found some eyelets that could be anchored to the bottom rail of the top half (underneath) that you could spring clevis a 1" to 1.5" square aluminum tube to. Insert a smaller tube into the bottom and you could anchor the twist locks to those. You could use a clamp or set screw to keep the adjustable leg from collapsing back in, anchor a "tent peg" into the ground to hold the bottom. You get the idea, maybe even add a plate anchored to it to keep it tighter to the trailer body.
Be creative, that's the fun part!

David
Luke 1:49
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #5

Van,

Thanks for your input. I am trying to visualize the eyelit - clevis pin connection. I have an idea based on your description. The rest of the concept, I get. Your right in-line with what I had in mind....so, I am going to piece it together. Maybe, if you could, upload a picture of the eyelit so I can confirm we are thinking the same ?
Old 05-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

Do a search, there are many different suppliers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pieces.jpg (5.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg top fitting.jpg (1.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Pull pin.jpg (1.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Bimini clip.jpg (2.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Fitting_2.jpg (6.5 KB, 20 views)
Luke 1:49
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckindle56 View Post
I have successfully installed my Patty O' Room on two previous trailers with a straight front wall on each. Now, I am attempting to install it on my 2008 HiLo 22T. The problem is anchoring the side panels to the nonsymmetrical walls of the trailer with twist locks. I have not installed the screw-in twist locks yet to the fiberglass siding. In fact, I am looking for an alternative method to install these locks without having to screw them into the fiberglass. My idea is to make some sort of frame (maybe out of alumninum) matching the contour of the wall (raised position) for each side panel that could somehow be clamped top and bottom ? with the locks installed on the frame in their proper location. (I would have the front of the frame with the locks made to be parellel all the way down and the back to match the wall contour).

I know this seems like a lot (and a little crazy) to do just to install the locks, however, if I were to install them in the normal manner...1. I don't trust the stability of the fiberglass to hold the lock. 2. I can't put locks on the bottom wall of the HiLo or they will be sheared the first time I lower it. 3. I would have to cut the side panel somewhere in the middle to fit the cover to the wall contour.

Anyway, there is probably someone out there that already has the perfect solution for this dilema and so simple that it will prove I am overthinking this whole process. We use the Patty O' Room all the time...it is great.
Those things you describe, you sure as heck cant risk it hitting the seal on the top half as or when it is lowered.

2 things I think of about the patio, is the one side (against the camper) open? if so I dont know what to do. But if you just need it to hook to the camper more than all down the top half and then a little on the bottom, why fight it?

Well, I thought about it more, I think then what you need to find is someone that can sew a strip of materiald from where the top halve stops on down until the camper stops, and use (as someone mentioned) good 2 inch wide velcro to hold it. with the glue I have seen ont the good stuff, maybe 1 or 2 short screws per side would allow for some 'peace of mind" on it?

or make a moveable framework, IMHO that removes or would fold up from the bottom of the trailer when when you are ready camp. you would have to make an easy mount for the bottom (Im thinking like the awnings use) and maybe one more spot (but definitely below where the top half is when folded) that could extend a fram clear up to under top half when top raised.

The awning I am thinking of I have seen on more hilos, that have 2 bars on side that hold the roll of awning, and goe's out as extend awning.. you could mimic this with some aluminum (like angle iron) that could be slipped on a bottom bracket and bolted or held in place in a couple places as you go up the side, the taken off when folding up to travel.