Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 09-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #1

Default Sealing vents on roof

We have a 98 aluminum tow lite. I was wondering what to use on the roof vent. And when I went to photograph it I think the seams need help too. My dealer sold me a lap sealant??? I have no idea what to do with that.
there is a very dry , hard white substance around the vent that is cracking and pulling away from the vent. Can I just caulk around the vent with silicone caulk?

It is hard to describe --- I'm trying to attach a photo.

Thanks, Reeny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.4 KB, 52 views)

Old 09-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #2

Someone has used a lap sealant on it before it looks like and they tooled it up onto the vertical surface of the vent. The first thing your going to have to do is remove the sealant that is no longer firmly attached to the vent/roof. If the vent could be removed that would be best. Remove the vent, scrape alll the old sealant off both surfaces, and clean the surfaces with acetone and a rag. Then apply new butyl rubber tape and a ring of silicone inside that as an extra safety measure. Replace the vent and put in new screws. Then use your lap sealant and apply to both the vent flange and the roof. The stuff I just used on mine was self leveling so you just squirted it out with a caulk gun and it would flow out to cover the seam. If removing the vent is out of the question, then just remove the loose sealant, clean the area with acetone, and apply the new lap sealant and cross your fingers. Good luck!

misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:57 AM   #3

I found out yesterday that I have the same problem with a leaking vent. With central Illinois weather, I have no alternative but to caulk it and wait out the winter. I have added the removal and reinstall to my list of spring projects on the trailer. I do have one question...will my 215 lbs of body weight be supported by the roof? If not...what do I do? Should I tarp it for the winter and deal with the leaking windows and roof vent then?
sax player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
gus

When I was sealing the roof on our Hi-lo, my weight is around 195 lb, I used a large sheet of 3/4" plywood with a cushion of blanket under it to distribute the weight, otherwise I am not sure if the roof can support a person walking on top.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
Site Team

I'm currently about 208# (wish I could lose about 30), and I walk on my trailer's roof without incident. I don't feel any "give" at all.

When I installed my Fantastic Fan, I found the roof was at least 1/2" plywood, and the curvature increases its strength. I doubt there's anything to worry about, unless you're a super "wide-body".

- Jack
Old 12-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #6

i appreciate the responses...i already have several "spring" projects...I don't want to add to it. I want to camp in it...not work on it.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

I walk on mine only in the lowered position as to not put any extra strain on the cables. I'm pushing close to 200 LBS and need to lose those 30 also.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
Site Team

I should have said I don't get on the roof unless the top is down too.

Ruben, life just isn't fair! I hardly eat anything now and that weight just doesn't go away.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
sam

Default Roof vent

Tarping the HiLo is not a good idea as it traps and holds moisture doing damage. It is best to get a proper HiLo cover for your climate.Many back posts on this. You could cover the vent with a contractor garbage bag to prevent leaks. We did this to our fragile escape hatch in the summer. We have since acquired a replacement escape cover thanks to Jay at Mantelli trailer sales. I'm saving the new escape cover for when the old one is totally shot from the sun.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #10

I ordered a sunbrella cover from coverquest and they had free shipping and storage bag for under $200.00. Naturally it rained today and there I was out in the rain trying to get a tarp on it until the sunbrella comes in.... I'm thinking about doing the noodle and PVC to the trailer before I put the cover on it. I sooo want to get started on the roof. Is the caulk and caulk tape temperature sensitive? I am afraid if I have to wait for spring to get started on my projects that the winter is going to very very long.....
Old 12-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by sax player View Post
I ordered a sunbrella cover from coverquest and they had free shipping and storage bag for under $200.00. Naturally it rained today and there I was out in the rain trying to get a tarp on it until the sunbrella comes in.... I'm thinking about doing the noodle and PVC to the trailer before I put the cover on it. I sooo want to get started on the roof. Is the caulk and caulk tape temperature sensitive? I am afraid if I have to wait for spring to get started on my projects that the winter is going to very very long.....
The caulk should tell you the temperature range for application. Usually the warmer the better.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
The caulk should tell you the temperature range for application. Usually the warmer the better.
I looked on the tube and it doesn't say anything. I got it at the trailer place and they have closed for the holiday season and won't be open till after new years!!
On a good note the sunbrella cover came in and it went on very easily with the help of a broom to get it over the A/C unit and antenna. But before we put it on I took a closer look at the caulk job done to the vent screws and vent base, I am suspecting a area of the roof seam right next to the A/C unit. Is there a way of pin pointing the leaking area? or should I just restrain my eagerness and wait for spring?........If so....It's going to be a LONG LONG winter.
1995 21' towlite 215TD
Old 12-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
sam

Default Leaking vent

You will get a much better repair if the weather is warmer in the spring. Glad you got a cover. This will be some of the best $ you spent.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote