Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

Default stopping seam leaks along a moving part

I have a mojo which is leaking at the hinge end of where the roof pivots to go up. A previous owner covered it with about 100 pounds of caulk or maybe silicone seal which is cracking so it is leaking along that line. I want to tear all that stuff off and replace it with a strip of heavy rubber (heavy like what is on the bottom of a garage door). The strip needs to be about 8' long and 6" or so wide. I want to attach it on the uphill side and not have it glued down on the downhill side so that when I raise and lower the roof the open side just slides. Hopefully this will solve the problem. When it is caulked, the caulk has to bend and squish due to the space being smaller with the roof up. I worry that driving down the road wind will get under it and rip it off, but maybe not.

The problem is I have no clue what that kind of rubber/vinyl flap is called or what the material is that is used to seal the edges of the sides, etc.

Here is a link to a mojo

Hilo Mojo

and the edge that is the problem is the one on the trailer hitch end that runs across front (see the photo next to the fridge - all the photos are with the roof up. The NON trailer hitch end drops when you lower the roof, pivoting on the hinge in the photo.

Open to any other ideas, suggestions...

Thanks,

Carolyn

carolynb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
sam

Default Need repair advice.

Carolynb-3 Sorry you are having trouble with your trailer. I saw one of these at a RV show several years ago. It was the second one made. Clean off all the old caulk with alcohol. My electronic technician brother-in-law says his co. uses this by the 55 gallon drum. An excellent caulk to use is Lexell caulk.It can be purchased for around $8.00 at Ace Hardwear or on the internet. I would try this fix first to see if it solves your problem. Would externabond tape work if the caulk doesn't solve the problem? Keep us posted.

sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Carolynb-3 Sorry you are having trouble with your trailer. I saw one of these at a RV show several years ago. It was the second one made. Clean off all the old caulk with alcohol. My electronic technician brother-in-law says his co. uses this by the 55 gallon drum. An excellent caulk to use is Lexell caulk.It can be purchased for around $8.00 at Ace Hardwear or on the internet. I would try this fix first to see if it solves your problem. Would externabond tape work if the caulk doesn't solve the problem? Keep us posted.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Carolyn
carolynb3 is offline   Reply With Quote