Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #1

Default Stuck Deadbolt!

Hey folks,

I was putting a few things in my 2499 this afternoon and locked the deadbolt when I was done. A few steps away, I thought it would be wise to make sure the battery switch was in the off position since I had raised the trailer a few minutes before. The key will turn MAYBE 1/4 turn and stops. Has anyone run across this before? I tried searching older posts but didn't see anything. I don't really want to tear into it since doors could be a problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! My trailer has wintered in the down position with the deadbolt locked and it operated just fine when I raised the trailer this afternoon.

Thanks!

Phil

Old 03-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

When locked and the key removed the slot should be vertical, to unlock turn 1/4 right, I think, then back to vertical. Is the lock turning at all?

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #3

I've had a similar problem but it is related to the inside latch, somehow, getting hung up on the screen door. I've been able to get it to work by keeping at it with the key, gently, and jiggling the handle sometimes. But, it was enough of a problem last year that I quit using the dead bolt until I had time to figure out what was what-----its on the list for this spring.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
I've had a similar problem but it is related to the inside latch, somehow, getting hung up on the screen door. I've been able to get it to work by keeping at it with the key, gently, and jiggling the handle sometimes. But, it was enough of a problem last year that I quit using the dead bolt until I had time to figure out what was what-----its on the list for this spring.

Rick
I like your suggestion: twist, wiggle and jiggle. The inside lock handle could be up against something, as you suggested.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Hey folks,

I was putting a few things in my 2499 this afternoon and locked the deadbolt when I was done. A few steps away, I thought it would be wise to make sure the battery switch was in the off position since I had raised the trailer a few minutes before. The key will turn MAYBE 1/4 turn and stops. Has anyone run across this before? I tried searching older posts but didn't see anything. I don't really want to tear into it since doors could be a problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! My trailer has wintered in the down position with the deadbolt locked and it operated just fine when I raised the trailer this afternoon.

Thanks!

Phil
Phil,

I have had this happen and it is usually due to the trailer not being level putting additional pressure on the door connecting parts [the lock]. I have found that pushing upward on the bottom of the door as you turn the key to unlock it will ease the pressure on the locking mechanism and allow me to turn the key and unlock it.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes, try to move the door in, out, up and down while you try to turn the key. I suspect the deadbolt itself is binding in the opening it goes into. And, if that doesn't do it, try raising the top manually to the upper locked position, which should relieve any twist on the door.

- Jack
Old 03-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Come to find out it's the regular lock and not the deadbolt. We're gonna try to find something thin enough to trip the latch behind the handle, since that's where it seems to be binding. If that doesn't work, it'll probably be prudent to call a locksmith since the trailer is up and I can't tow it to the dealership.

Phil
Old 03-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Come to find out it's the regular lock and not the deadbolt. We're gonna try to find something thin enough to trip the latch behind the handle, since that's where it seems to be binding. If that doesn't work, it'll probably be prudent to call a locksmith since the trailer is up and I can't tow it to the dealership.

Phil
Phil,

Did you try manipulating the door; apply upward pressure, downward pressure, rock the door up and down as you try and turn the key? Did you try to lock the deadbolt and find an obstruction that it would not lock? If the deadbolt is out of alignment, the regular lock would also be out. Also try applying inward and outward pressure on the door as you are trying to turn the key. It sure seems as if it is the trailer may be way off level causing it to bind at its weakest point which would be the door opening.

Jerry Curtis 2406T
Old 03-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #9

Hey Jerry,

We've tried moving the door in every possible direction with no luck. The deadbolt is smooth as butter with no binding at all. It's sitting on pretty level gravel, but we'll double check the level.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Hey Jerry,

We've tried moving the door in every possible direction with no luck. The deadbolt is smooth as butter with no binding at all. It's sitting on pretty level gravel, but we'll double check the level.
Phil,

About 5 years ago we had taken our just purchased new 5th wheel on its maiden voyage. We got up, had breakfast, locked the RV, and went antiquing. When we returned, we could not get the door open. We had to call a locksmith who got inside in a matter of minutes. He replaced the tumblers, and provided us new keys. He said the lock was just defective and no amount of trying to open it on our part would have succeeded. Still under warranty so the Seller honored our claim and paid for all the expense.

I think it is time for you to call a locksmith!

Jerry Curtis 2406 T
Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Agree on a locksmith if you can't move the latch with a credit card or something. I've had house doorknob locks fail due to internal wear, and the symptoms are much like you describe. However, with a house, you can usually get to the lock on the inside to remove it (since there's normally more than one door).

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 AM   #12

Phil,

We had a similar problem with our older of the two hi-los and what happened is there is a long pin in the door handle and that pin had fell out and without it in there the door handle wouldn't release the door latch which made it seem like it was locked. At that time J&R Repair was JR Enterprise and I called and talked to Greg and he said I just needed to keep trying to get that door open finally hubby was able to get door unlatched and he sent us new pin and we replaced it and door has worked every since. That long pin is hard to see but it is there holding the door handle/latch on inside of the trailer. I just looked at our other hi-lo and called a friend also and they still have those long pins in the handle and they do fall out but not often. The pin holds the handle on. I don't know if I'm explaining this very well. Sure hope you get it open without to much damage.
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #13

RV Door Locks for Trailers on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

If this is the style you have now, which most later model HiLo have, it would be good to replace the whole assembly. There are two or three different types listed so you want to pick the closest to your present one.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 03-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #14

That's the exact one, Rich. I had already planned on replacing the entire assembly once I get it open. Since it's a 99, my list for this spring includes recaulking all the windows and roof vents. I may end up drilling out the rivets and popping a roof vent to get inside. This is the one time it pays to be skinny as a rail! I just ordered the lockset and 5 rolls of butyl tape since they had that on sale as well.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:41 AM   #15

That's exactly the door lock I was speaking of in my earlier post that we had problems with on our 1996. There is a long round pin on the inside door handle if you lose that pin or part of it slips out of the two holes that hold the handle on it is nearly impossible to get the door open. We have the same handle/lock on our 2004 and I make a point of making sure that pin is in the handle. I never knew anything about this pin until we got locked out.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #16

"We have the same handle/lock on our 2004 and I make a point of making sure that pin is in the handle. I never knew anything about this pin until we got locked out. "

Deb

Can you explain where or how, exactly, I would inspect my lock to make sure this pin is secure? Do I have to remove it from the inside to check it?

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebW View Post
Phil,

We had a similar problem with our older of the two hi-los and what happened is there is a long pin in the door handle and that pin had fell out and without it in there the door handle wouldn't release the door latch which made it seem like it was locked. At that time J&R Repair was JR Enterprise and I called and talked to Greg and he said I just needed to keep trying to get that door open finally hubby was able to get door unlatched and he sent us new pin and we replaced it and door has worked every since. That long pin is hard to see but it is there holding the door handle/latch on inside of the trailer. I just looked at our other hi-lo and called a friend also and they still have those long pins in the handle and they do fall out but not often. The pin holds the handle on. I don't know if I'm explaining this very well. Sure hope you get it open without to much damage.
Thanks for the information about the handle pin. I checked mine yesterday and sure enough the pin was part of the way out of the handle. A few taps with a hammer and all is well.

Thank You!

1998 21TL
2005 Silverado
Thankful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #18

Thankful,
You're very welcome. Yes a few taps with a hammer is all that's needed but be aware it WILL work it's way lose again so just keep checking it to make sure it is where it's suppose to be. If it falls out of both of the holes you will be locked out. If it just falls out of one of the holes you'll still be able to open the door although it will be a little difficult.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #19

Try putting a dab of Locktite on the pin when sliding it back in. It should help to hold it in place.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 03-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #20

Rick,
No you don't want to remove it. On your inside door handle there is a long silver pin that holds the handle on. If the roll pin isn't in the two holes the handle will be kind of wobbly feeling. You really can't see the roll pin as it is on the pivot point of the handle and the door. You can see it looking from the top of the handle.