Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #21

The new lockset and butyl tape arrived this afternoon...PPL Motorhomes has AWESOME service and shipping. After looking at tearing a roof vent off to get inside, my son and I decided it's best to leave that alone. Being a licensed aircraft mechanic, I got a bigger hammer and pried the door handle out enough for things to unlock and it opened right up. 15 minutes to install the new lockset and we're in business again. I may do an autopsy on the old lock later to see exactly what happened.

If the weather cooperates, I may start resealing all the windows next week since my order also included 100' of butyl tape. Time to celebrate and I plan to do that this weekend when I'm "stuck" in New Orleans for 28 hours with the 737 I'm crewing. Not sure how I'm gonna handle THAT!

Thanks a million for everyone's advice....I was a little paraniod about tearing something up that parts are hard to come by for. You folks are awesome.

Phil

Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #22
Site Team

Glad you were able to fix it. Looking at mine, I doubt the credit card trick would be much use. It looks like you MIGHT be able to drill a hole (with a small hole saw) through the plastic of the latch so that you could get a finger inside to maybe open it from the inside.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote