Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 10-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Default Towlite with ceiling leak

What a bummer! We purchased a 2009 Towlite 27 ft in april of this year. It was new and had been on the dealers lot since they received it. We took delivery and went camping. A month after, it started to wrinkle on the ceiling above the ref. It then spread over behind the cabinet above the tip out. Called dealer, NO HELP. Sold to us AS IS. Talk to a few dealers and both Hi-Lo repair shops in Ohio. It is what some call "Lot Rot". Now with a "new" trailer we have to replace the ceiling and interior side wall around the tip out.
Any one with good suggestions? Cut out a few places in the ceiling to see what is behind and how soft it is. Took it in and had it repaired at a place that knew nothing about Hi-Lo's, but had been recommened for doing good work. It has been back twice for reworking ceiling. It keeps comming down, as they just glued new over original. It was told to us that the A/C had not been tightened down and water was comming in from there and around antenna. What eles can we do to make sure leak has been fixed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2265.jpg (93.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2271.jpg (91.9 KB, 61 views)

wmjbuying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
sam

Default Roof leak

You are going to hate me for saying thiis. The old roof should have been torn out on the inside. Fix all the leaks then repair with all new material.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #3

Sam is right all the old should of been removed first.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #4

You can't hate anyone for being honest. I thought the same when I say how the dealer had repaired it. I should of taken the week off work and done it myself.
wmjbuying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

If you have the ability do it yourself, a lot of places use a very young person for dirty work, which is ok if they check what is being done. Unless you need it do the work on week ends, and post back there are people that have done this and they can help if needed.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Default Another Leak

We just got our first rain of the winter so I checked the TowLite and found water dripping from the ceiling cable connector next to the antenna crank (see photo 1). Checking the mountain of caulk on the roof where the coax cable enters the TowLite I found that half of it was detached from the aluminum roof which allowed the rain to enter through the antenna hole (see Photo 2) so I got some putty and made a temporary fix by jamming as much of the putty as I could between the roof and the caulk mountain (see photo 3). Unfortunately the end panel of the upper cabinet is not wood, rather it is pressed paper and has already started to swell up and puff out, so there will be some permanent damage to the appearance. As soon as it is dry enough to apply new caulking I will replace the coax cable and the caulk mountain around it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-10-05_16-12-18_993.jpg (84.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-10-05_16-19-58_623.jpg (88.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-10-05_16-24-33_507.jpg (87.1 KB, 43 views)

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
sam

Default Another leak

I really feel for you. Good thing you were diligent about checking your beloved HiLo after the rain. What a massive amt of caulk around the cable connector. Could you use externa bond as part of this repair. Hubby and I were just talking about how much care our "second homes require".
Old 10-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
sam

Default Wmjbuying Ceiling leak

Thought about your situation and here is my two cents worth. I would send a letter with pictures that are dated to the Rv dealer that supposedely fixed the roof in your trailer. I would give them a chance to fix the roof properly. Request another tech do the work. Stop by while the work is in progress to check and see that total tearout is happening. If the dealership can't fix it properly ask to have your $ refunded. Keep a copy of the letter you send them. All corespondence is either a letter or e-mail.Your roof is repairable by any competent Rv shop. If all else fails take them to small claims court to get your $ back. Money doesn't grow on trees!! I hate when poeple take advantage of another person. Keep us posted.