Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #1

Default Vent cover replacement

Recently I noticed that the front vent cover on our Hi-Lo had a hole in it. I've never replaced one before but I'm happy to say it's an easy job.

I went to Camping World to get a new one and discovered that there was more then one type. So I left empty handed, but I had a clear idea of the different designs and what to look for now. On re-inspection I saw that mine was what I describe as the long sliding hinge type.

Camping World had the type I needed in white and a tinted dark cover. I got the white to match the one on the rear. The instructions were easy to follow.

Step One: Remove the lift arm. I did this from the inside of the camper by first removing the crank and screen, and then the two screws to take off the lift arm.

Step Two: From on the roof, I used a pair of needle nose pliers to bend one of the lock tabs on the end of the vent cover hinge and then slid the old cover off.

Step Three: Slide the new cover / hinge on, bend the locking tabs on both ends to lock it in place. I applied a light coat of silicone lubricant to the seal to prevent sticking. Go inside and re-attach the lift arm, screen and crank.

That’s all there is to it and it looks awesome. When DW saw these pictures, her only comment was, "did you clean that nasty looking rubber seal??? , yes I did! , I even put a light coat of silicone lubricant on it to prevent the cover from sticking to the seal.

Neal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old cover.jpg (84.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Universal cover.jpg (83.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Remove lift arm.jpg (96.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg unlock hinge.jpg (89.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Slide on new cover.jpg (91.8 KB, 94 views)

Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #2

Default Thanks for the Vent Cover Replacement Post

Thanks much for this explanation of vent replacement. I went out to trailer
yesterday and found the vent cover laying on the ground so I temporarily covered it til I could replace it.

I am glad I just need to replace the cover and not the whole unit !!!

Its a 2007 27' Crossroads Sunset Trail tow behind 5000lb empty and I tow it with a 2005 F150 5.4 liter V8.

Ray

raysnuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

Default Great Help !!

Once again this forum has helped with a problem. With the temperatures warming up I am thinking about camping again. I inspected the camper and found a crack in my vent cover. I logged on the forum and found an easy solution to my problem. Thanks so much for the post and the pictures. I can get this fixed in no time and be ready for the camping season.
dschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #4

Question skylight roof vent cover replacement

I am trying to find where I can purchase a replacement part for my HiLo trailer. My operable skylight roof vent cover measures 15"x 22". It is opaque white and pyramid shaped.
klundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum!

I am not familiar with what you mean as "operable skylight roof vent cover". I have never seen one of that type on Hi-Lo trailers but they must exist. Could you give a bit more info as to the year and model of the Hi-Lo and location of the skylight. Better yet a photo. I know many trailers have skylights above the shower area but they are fixed and are rounded dome type.

Or, are you asking about the covers that mount over the crank up roof vents? 15" x 22" is an odd size for those.

Hopefully someone will jump in here with the info you are seeking.

Rich
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

What year and model Hi-Lo is it? Classic or Towlite? Was the cover factory installed? If it is factory check one of these places.----

http://www.jrrepair.embarqspace.com/

Home - The Official HiLo Trailer Parts & Service
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
sam

Default Neal and Bev vent replacement

Thanks for the detailed instructions and pictures on the vent replacement. I know I mentioned this before and will say it again. Take your vent apart and bring it with you to the Rv Store. Neal had to make two trips to get the right part. When you get to the Rv store you have several choices of vent covers and it gets very confusing. We have had to replace ours. I probably saved some information off the box and put it in my collection of manuals ect. in the HiLo. It made me chucle that your wife wanted to know if you cleaned the seal off. I can only speak for my self. I am very detail orientated and am the final inspector/supervisor on repair projects. Another good thing to do to vent covers is to coat them with son of a gun,303 protectant ect. The sun does a number on plastic. It stretches your$ and the life of the vent. Seems to me someone mentioned using white lithium grease on the vent crank as this is a moving /working part. I hope I said the correct words for the lube. Take care sam.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote