Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 11-17-2015, 07:16 AM   #1

Unhappy We were hit

Went camping a few months ago in a very small state park.

Had our awning deployed and it was hit by another camper coming into the park and did more damage than we originally thought. The rafter slide has since snapped and the entire awning won't open or close properly.

Wondering if it is going to be worth it to call the insurance company about it since it also seems to have affected the roof and caused some leaks.

Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinn View Post
Went camping a few months ago in a very small state park.

Had our awning deployed and it was hit by another camper coming into the park and did more damage than we originally thought. The rafter slide has since snapped and the entire awning won't open or close properly.

Wondering if it is going to be worth it to call the insurance company about it since it also seems to have affected the roof and caused some leaks.
Pinn, you might not get anything out of your claim, but this is why we pay for insurance policies. I'm sure they love it when customers don't file a claim for damages.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #3

The other person's insurance should take care of it, if he has insurance. Since it was a number of months ago it may be harder to file a claim.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
sam

Default Sorry you got hit.

Pinn, I would call your insurance co. It can't hurt to get an estimate for dammages. The amt. of $ will probably be more than you had anticipated. Protect your HiLo from any further roof dammages. You use your HiLo a fair amt. Don't let the leaks do interior dammage. Remember how much you love your HiLo. Consider having JR do the repairs or Midget. See if the ins. co. will pay to have your HiLo transported round trip to Ohio. Keep us posted.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:37 AM   #5

Pinn, I am curious as to how the accident happened. I am paraphrasing here, but it sounds like the other vehicle/camper was in transit on possibly a public road when it damaged your awning, hardware, and consequently the roof. Your state of NC and my state of SC mandates that all vehicle owners carry proper liability insurance (whether towing or not towing), and you should be compensated wholly for damage to your property. I hope you got the name and address of the owners and their insurance company so that their insurance company can visit you to record the damage; you can then give him or her the phone number of J & R to allow the adjuster to get a realistic cost estimate of the repair job. By the way, where were you camping, Lake Jordan or Falls Lake?

Dee
Summerville, SC
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #6

Full Story here.. We were at Andrew Jackson State Park in Lancaster SC. Very small park. Small road/pavement, We were on our site which is a pull thru site on a corner/bend.
It had gotten dark and we had the awning deployed since it was a drizzly, drippy day. We were also inside since it was dark. We felt a shudder and ran outside to see what had hit us. We saw another camper sitting next to the corner of the awning. We lowered the awning and let him go on by, since it was dark we couldn't see any damage. The next day we got together with the other owner and none of us could see any damage so we let it go. I know Big Mistake there. He was gone by the time we broke camp to leave.

We started packing for out trip last week and I noticed the ceiling and walls were wet/damp.
Got to the campground this past Friday and went to open the awning when we saw that the rafter slide thingy (technical term ) was snapped. And it also won't open and close properly anymore, we have to pull the back half of the awning out away from the roof so that it will open and push it towards the rear to be able to lock the legs. So the only thing that we can figure is that when the other person hit us they tweaked or twisted the awning just enough possibly to have pulled the hangers away from the track just enough to let water start running in. Wet summer and beginning of Fall here

USAA is our insurance company and I don't know how well they do the claims.. I don't know if they will total it (I'm hoping not) or if they will fix it. All we can do is ask. Never had to deal with this before had popups before, fully owned and paid for and older models.
If they total it, we will be looking for another HiLo.
I'm just sick over this whole thing.

Our repair guy Frank's RV Repair here in NC is a former HiLo factory warranty guy so he does know them. He just replaced all the cable on it.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
sam

Default Just a thought

Perhaps you could get the campsite office to help you track down the person that hit you. Maybe a letter from your lawyer if your insurance doesn't come through for you. So sorry for your troubles. We recently had our yearly body work done of our F250 and someone hit it in the Walmart parking lot. I was mad and didn't want to get the manager for the security tape. Our dammage came to $400.00. Our deductible is $500.00. Now we have to live with a rear quarter dent. Our friend says he probably told his ins. co. that someone hit his vehicle and will possibly get it repaired. He defeniately had dammage to his car.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:05 AM   #8

Pinn, Sam is right. Go back to Andrew Jackson State Park office, explain the situation to them, and ask if you may see their campsite records for the date of the accident. From what I remember about Andrew Jackson, you don't live an unreasonable distance from that park. However, since you spoke to the guy or gal that hit you the next day, you will need to try to remember the site they were on or go to that site to get the number in order to match the site number with their name and address. The leg work will be worth it.

By the way, we also have USAA. If they total the camper, they will pay you the full value for its current 2007 year, then declare the camper "salvage" having a new title to them made with the word "salvage" written on it. However, you may then buy the camper back from them at a very low salvage price, pocketing the difference in what they paid you initially. But, remember, no matter how much money you put into the Hi-Lo to fix it up, the salvage word will always be on your new title. So, when you get ready to sell it years down the road, the salvage value will be substantially less than the value of a similar camper with a regular title not having salvage on it.

Dee
Old 11-19-2015, 12:24 AM   #9

Pinn, one more thing, you CAN negotiate with your insurance company for what they should pay you for the Hi-Lo; don't let anyone tell you that you can't. My reference for them would be the highest NADA value for the 2007 Hi-Lo indicating it is in excellent condition. Of course, you can't use retail value which is defined as a brand new camper right off the dealer's lot. A lot of people think NADA is outrageously high, but not when dealing with insurance companies. You can also negotiate down the price if you want to buy it back at the salvage price. I would feel no guilt whatsoever at doing the above.

Dee
Old 11-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #10

Update: The inspector came out yesterday and took photos. Tried to claim that it was the AC unit leaking and causing the damage..

The adjuster should be in contact with us within the next few business days.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #11

Pinn, does the inspector ever listen to weather reports? NC and SC have had more rain in the last four to five months than Noah and his Ark during the Great Flood!

Dee
Old 11-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #12
sam

Default Getting hit.

Pinn, This is worth fighting for. Sounds like your ins. guy is a jerk. If you have to take it back to the HiLo dealer you mentioned and get an estimate of dammages.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #13

I didn't meet the guy myself, DH did. From what he said the guy was some kind of special... didn't even have a ladder to get on the roof, we had to loan him one of ours. Didn't want to come out in the rain, put off the inspection until the next day and then switched it back because the rain stopped.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #14

12-2 UPDATE:
USAA is paying the claim, $1212.05 to fix most of the problems. I may have to have the repair guy call USAA after they start getting into it to fix the bedroom roof and wall. I don't think that he even looked at it. Oh Well as long as it is fixed and fixed correctly, I will have no complaints.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #15

Pinn, you know the routine, which provides that you don't sign an insurance release or endorse any of their checks until the Hi-Lo is repaired to your satisfaction. It seems that you have a lot of faith in the business which is repairing your Hi-Lo. Finding a trustworthy business to do the work is definitely a plus.

Dee
Old 12-03-2015, 06:54 AM   #16

We had to cancel our plans to go to Myrtle Beach next weekend so if the check comes in between now and then, we will drop it off and let him work on it until I am happy with it.

Already winterized it and I would say settled in for its long winters nap, but not if it is in the shop.