Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 05-26-2019, 07:49 PM   #1
Mom

Default When Life Gives You Lemons

I just want to know can this be fixed. Took the siding off and hello the frame disintegrated. I just want to cry. trailer1.jpg

trailer2.jpg

trailer3.jpg

Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
Mom

Default One More for the Road

Another Perspectivetrailer4.jpg

Old 05-26-2019, 10:20 PM   #3
sam

Default Lemons

I would sell the trailer for parts. It would cost you a lot of time and materials to fix this.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
Site Team

Sorry but I think sam might be right. That MAY be a total rebuild of the top. And you haven't even seen inside the lower half. If time and materials were no problem, then I'd say repair it. You'd need a large work area and several different trades to complete the job. Welders, carpenters and electrician, etc. It can be done, and you'd certainly be proud of the results, And you could customize YOUR way.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #5

OUCH so sorry..Do-able BUT Major under taking as Tree said...Sam may be right as Tree said..and if you aint got skills and or room to DIY ,,, having to pay someone to do it another OUCH!

Find another top section thats good with (bad bottom)is possible but unlikely...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Sorry but I think sam might be right. That MAY be a total rebuild of the top. And you haven't even seen inside the lower half. If time and materials were no problem, then I'd say repair it. You'd need a large work area and several different trades to complete the job. Welders, carpenters and electrician, etc. It can be done, and you'd certainly be proud of the results, And you could customize YOUR way.
I have been all inside the trailer and was already working on some Mods to the interior (removed front sofas to make full bed, recovering dinette sofas, replaced kitchen faucet, etc). I knew it had issues with some delamination around the windows on this side. The lower half appears to be fine. We were preparing to separate the two halves to replace the seal and the 2 X 4 just kept pushing into the steel (like sticking your finger into rotten wood). The steel just disintegrated.

The only good news is that we have a large metal building to park it in and we work in the construction trades. My DH had already fixed all the wiring problems, he is and excellent mechanic, welder, and carpenter, and for the finishing touch the equipment we run is powered by hydraulics cylinders.

So, we are thinking about taking crack at fixing this. If anyone has replaced this it would be helpful to have a diagram, photos, etc...

Thanks it is a 2294D Funchaser
Old 05-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
Site Team

Mom, I think it was a member name of campthewestcoast that has done, what I recall as close to a rebuild of the top half in the most recent of time. Perhaps he'll pop up soon and give his opine on this situation. I'm REALLY glad to hear you have the space and talent to tackle this. I truly dislike hearing the phrase "Parting out a Hi Lo", but sometimes it happens. Just a suggestion, take lots of pics during the dismantle phase, you'll need them.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-27-2019, 03:27 PM   #8
Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Mom, I think it was a member name of campthewestcoast that has done, what I recall as close to a rebuild of the top half in the most recent of time. Perhaps he'll pop up soon and give his opine on this situation. I'm REALLY glad to hear you have the space and talent to tackle this. I truly dislike hearing the phrase "Parting out a Hi Lo", but sometimes it happens. Just a suggestion, take lots of pics during the dismantle phase, you'll need them.
Well, she is naked now. We had to get to the end caps to see if there was anything to even weld to. Good news my DH thinks he can do it. We have nothing to lose by trying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer5.jpg (222.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 05-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
Site Team

You have nothing to lose but time, sweat and maybe a little bit of money (which can be controlled). You two sound like you have the skill set to do this task.So, have at it! We'll enjoy following your progress.

- Jack
Old 05-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #10
Site Team

Holy moly, strip 'em down, ain't much to see, is there? Well, I'm sure if you run into any problems, you'll know where to turn. Your energetic and you have the skills. You can make it right. Best of luck, we're on your side.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #11
Mom

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. We have placed a nice tarp over it until we take it to the shop, and will keep you all informed of the progress as we go. We are already laughing about what color it will be when we finish. Right now we are leaning towards red with flames. Who knows?
Old 05-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #12
sam

Default Best of luck

Maybe you can pick up another damaged HiLo to use for parts. Should be a fun project. Keep us posted.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #13

I know there used to be a shop that would rebuild the top half... Honestly as these trailers age, you will be hard pressed to find one that IS NOT rusted out on the top. The top does come off pretty easy and it's just square tubing, not to over-simplify the whole process... but it CAN be done.
I REALLY doubt at this point you'll find one that is NOT rusty, any and every one you see where the siding is "swollen" in the least has a leak somewhere and water has gotten in and you know the rest...
Good luck.
davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #14

We am nearing the end of a street side and front rebuild. Both had rotted wood & perforated steel but probably not as bad as your photos. I consider myself fortunate that the exterior skins could be reused.

Bad Steel frame sections were replaced with steel square tube from the local building supply store (Menards in my case). Extra vertical members were positioned to not interfere with windows. A replacement wood beam was fabricated by glueing and screwing treated 1/2" plywood strips ripped from a 4x8 sheet. The beam was screwed to the frame. Pink foam insulated the wall sections. The original skin was glued to new 1/8" plywood sheets.

We are about ready to hang the side skin on the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0551.jpg (169.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0600.jpg (181.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0601.jpg (160.7 KB, 13 views)
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:49 PM   #15
Site Team

Sounds like you're close to living up to your screen name, On The Road! I think these tops can be rebuilt much better than the OEM design and that's what it sounds like you are doing. Good on you!

- Jack
Old 06-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #16
Gone Traveling

my latest mail there was a woman (Mom) who had extensive damage to the structure & rot. I had this at my kitchen window and had to remove exterior fiber glass and inside paneling & window. Jerry's camper wanted over $3000.00 to fix it which was to much for me so I rented one these storage sheds big enough to back the camper into, with a jack lifted the top up and put 2x4s across and disconnected the pulleys. I REMOVED THE EXTERIOR FIBER GLASS, and the inside plywood and the window and the styrofoam insulation . Bought a new interior panel at a camper store,replaced the rotted wood and glued all back together and re -caulked the roof and window top with gutter sealant and the pulleys and dfid nit all myself for around $300.00 and only 50.00 including to rent the storage area. I might mention I've spent my life as a carpenter making this all possible. That was over 10 yrs. ago and still don't leak. Good luck
clyde wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #17
Site Team

It always amazes me what a "professional" shop will charge to fix our trailers. And, I'm certain if we do the work ourselves we will produce a better product! Good post, Clyde!

- Jack