Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #1

Question Width and thickness of butyl tape for windows

I am getting ready to re-do my windows (after reading all of your suggestions as to how to go about it). When I went to order the butyl tape I discovered that it comes in diferent widths and thicknesses. What size do I want for going around the windows?

Thanks in advance for your help - again

HiLo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
sam

Default Butyl Tape.

I can't remember the width or thickness. Dh will be home from work soon and I can look in our Rv catalog and tell you. I do remember this,one time we wrapped two rows of butyl tape because it didn,t bring the window out far enough. This is a two person job. I used googone to clean up the gummy residue from the side of the trailer and then used my regular cleaner. Let the area dry before reinserting the window. Some butyl tape will squishout,cut off woth a putty knife. DH favorite tool is an old butter knife. Then apply Lexel caulk to the edge of the window frams where it meets the siding. After some road jarring check inside trim ring screws for tightness. We replaced all 24 window screws with stainless. Any screw that is rusty needs to be replaced with a stainless one. Ordered a huge quanity of screws from MCFeelys.

sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
sam

Default Butyl tape

DH things the tape is one and one half inches wide. Guessing/half inch thick.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #4

Smile Thanks, again

Sam and DH,

Again, thank you. My husband is working on rebuilding the bottom of the rotted out door today and tomorrow we hope to at least start lining up all the things we will need to do the butyl tape, Lexel caulk window job. Thank you ever so much. We had no idea how to tackle any of this.
HiLo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
sam

Default Fires in Colorado

I hope all our HiLo friends and all the residents affected by the fires in CO. are safe. I pray no more homes are destroyed. Hard to watch this on the nightly news. It is also very dry in Northern NY. Crinkled leaves on the ground.