Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #1

Default Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch

I just got an Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch.

I've used conventional weight distributing hitches (spring bars) on my previous travel trailer, as well as my Hi-Lo. I got the Andersen hitch because I'm tired of lugging heavy spring bars, even heavier ball mounts, etc. I've towed my Hi-Lo with and without a friction-type sway control device and found that I don't really need one. Nevertheless, it is nice to see that the Andersen hitch has this built-in. Moreover, the engineer in me likes the simplicity of the Andersen system.

My initial impression is good. The parts are well made, including some very nicely done welds. The ball mount is a large hunk of aluminum that appears to be clear anodized. The machining on this is very good. The whole set-up (ball mount, ball, trailer frame mounts, chains, etc.) seems to weigh the same as my existing ball mount by itself.

I'm going to see if I have time to install the hitch prior to going camping this weekend. In any case, I'll post my thoughts after I get it on the road. In the meantime, here are some interesting video clips:

Incidentally, there is a limitation that anybody considering this hitch should be aware of. Andersen recommends that it not be used with Atwood 88XXX series couplers. You should check your trailer before ordering a hitch.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #2

How did this work out? As you said the simplicity of it is appealing, and chains instead of bars is brilliant.

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #3

I did not get it installed in time to go camping last month. It's installed now and I will post a review after we go camping in a couple of weeks.

2408T
Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #4

Thanks Raul - I was coming down Parley's Canyon on I-80 a few weeks ago Long steep grade from above Park City into Salt Lake and at the bottom of the steepest part there is a curve. Traffic was backed up because a trailer with it's TV were laying on their sides. Not sure if it started swaying, or the trailer didn't have brakes or what but it was a sad sight. I usually take I-84 30 miles out of my way to avoid Parley's until I get a WDH.
Ralph
Old 08-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #5

Default Andersen No-Sway Hitch Review

I finally got to try my new Andersen no-sway hitch. I drove 350 miles round trip on freeways and curvy mountain roads. The trailer was fully loaded, including a full potable water tank on the way over. All the water tanks were empty on the way back.

First the good:

1- The hitch is super light: no heavy spring bars to hook up, remove, store, etc. This also goes for the shank and hitch ball. I think that the shank and hitch ball combination alone from my conventional weight distributing hitch (WDH) weighs more than the whole Andersen hitch assembly.

At the campground it's a simple matter of detaching the chain plate, with the chains attached, from the bottom of the hitch shank. This can stay attached to the trailer and lay on the ground, no more finding a place to put a pair of heavy, greasy spring bars.

2- Sway control is good. I was passed by large semi-trailers and other vehicles on the freeway with no effect. It was also stable on a curvy, heaving road at a fairly good speed.

Then, the not so good:

The hitch is not distributing the weight as well as it should. There is more sag on the rear than I had with the conventional WDH. I believe that this is due to the length of the frame brackets.

Look at the attached photos. Notice the angle of the plate below the hitch ball that the chains attach to. The chains are pulling up on the plate because the frame brackets on the trailer do not extend down enough. The brackets are probably OK on most trailers. Unfortunately, my Hi-Lo has the tongue welded to the bottom of the frame members. This results in the chain plate being too low in relation to the chains and frame brackets. If you look at Andersen hitch installations online you will notice that the chains are parallel to the ground and in the same plane as the plate.

I spoke to an Andersen representative this morning. He was very helpful and asked for photos. He agreed to get back to me soon with a solution. I'll post the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitch1.jpg (85.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg hitch2.jpg (74.5 KB, 101 views)

2408T
Old 08-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #6

Thanks very much for the info Raul.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #7

Default Andersen No-Sway Hitch Review - Update

As I mentioned in my last post, the Andersen hitch was not doing a good job at distributing the weight between the tow vehicle axles. I sent some photos to Andersen and spoke to their rep on the phone. He agreed with my conclusion that the problem seems to be the relationship between the frame brackets and the chain plate on the hitch (see the photos that I posted before).

In most Andersen installations the chain plate and the lower part of the frame brackets ends up at about the same height. Unfortunately, my model Hi-Lo has the coupler welded to the bottom of the frame, while most trailers have the coupler welded to the top of the frame. The result is that the trailer hitch and the corresponding chain plate ends up very low in relation to the frame. To compensate for this Andersen sent me frame mounts designed for an 8" frame (my original brackets were for a 5"-6" frame). They sent them free of charge and asked that I follow up with them. Because these brackets are designed for taller frame members they are approximately 1 1/2" longer than my original brackets. This extra length should help bring the lower part of the brackets closer to the height of the chain plate.

I installed the new brackets, and hitched up the trailer. The situation has improved, but I'm still not getting enough weight transfer to the front axle of my TV. From the looks of it, the brackets need to be another 2" longer. the 8" brackets are the longest ones that Andersen makes, so this may require custom brackets. I'm going to take some more photos and measurements and call Andersen. Hopefully they can make a set of custom brackets. If they do, and they work, I will suggest that they provide these brackets to customers with trailers that have a coupler configuration like mine.

2408T
Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Site Team

Great information, Raul. Looks like Anderson is a great company to work with.

- Jack
Old 09-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
... The result is that the trailer hitch and the corresponding chain plate ends up very low in relation to the frame.
Incidentally, another way to improve this situation is to tilt the ball mount out at the top. This would rotate the chain plate toward the tow vehicle (see previous photos). The chain plate would then have more travel before it is parallel to the chains. This additional travel would rotate the tow vehicle some more along the horizontal axis. Unfortunately, the Andersen ball mount is not adjustable for tilt like some other WDH ball mounts are. I'm going to talk to Andersen about this as well. Designing and making an adjustable ball mount may not be something they want to do, but it should be fairly easy to fabricate a ball mount or ball assembly with a bit of tilt built-in. In the case of the mount, it would be a matter of welding the riser at a slight angle. In the case of the ball assembly, the holes can be drilled in slightly different locations fore and aft.

You can see what I mean by looking at this photo:

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Image...n-no-frame.jpg

2408T
Old 09-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
As I mentioned in my last post, the Andersen hitch was not doing a good job at distributing the weight between the tow vehicle axles. I sent some photos to Andersen and spoke to their rep on the phone. He agreed with my conclusion that the problem seems to be the relationship between the frame brackets and the chain plate on the hitch (see the photos that I posted before).

In most Andersen installations the chain plate and the lower part of the frame brackets ends up at about the same height. Unfortunately, my model Hi-Lo has the coupler welded to the bottom of the frame, while most trailers have the coupler welded to the top of the frame. The result is that the trailer hitch and the corresponding chain plate ends up very low in relation to the frame. To compensate for this Andersen sent me frame mounts designed for an 8" frame (my original brackets were for a 5"-6" frame). They sent them free of charge and asked that I follow up with them. Because these brackets are designed for taller frame members they are approximately 1 1/2" longer than my original brackets. This extra length should help bring the lower part of the brackets closer to the height of the chain plate.

I installed the new brackets, and hitched up the trailer. The situation has improved, but I'm still not getting enough weight transfer to the front axle of my TV. From the looks of it, the brackets need to be another 2" longer. the 8" brackets are the longest ones that Andersen makes, so this may require custom brackets. I'm going to take some more photos and measurements and call Andersen. Hopefully they can make a set of custom brackets. If they do, and they work, I will suggest that they provide these brackets to customers with trailers that have a coupler configuration like mine.
Thanks for the info Raul. I think I will go with standard type WDH.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #11

Joining the conversation late, but I was also interested in the Andersen hitch due to its light weight. Not just for all the reasons that Raul mentioned, but because I am exploring ways to take load off my TV. Any follow-up developments since the last post? My 2307C has the coupler mounted to the top of the frame. I am hoping that the cause of your problem was really the difference in the mount location and not something else.

camperD
camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #12

Camper, do you mean the actual weight of the hitch or the idea of taking weight from the tongue weight and transferring it to the rear of the trailer and the front of the TV? $225.00 VS $450.00 is a lot of difference for about 35 pounds, not to mention it won't transfer as much weight as a standard WDH.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #13

Default Anyone seen a hitch set up like this?

Motorcycle bumper hitch.jpg
I talked to the owner for about one minute about this. He hauls an 1100 BMW on this set up. The bike weighs about 700 pounds. Darnedest thing I've seen in awhile.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperD View Post
Joining the conversation late, but I was also interested in the Andersen hitch due to its light weight. Not just for all the reasons that Raul mentioned, but because I am exploring ways to take load off my TV. Any follow-up developments since the last post? My 2307C has the coupler mounted to the top of the frame. I am hoping that the cause of your problem was really the difference in the mount location and not something else.

camperD
Towards the end of the camping season last year Andersen sent me an un-welded chain plate and bushing. I welded the two together at an angle. The chain plate is now tilted down when installed on the ball mount. I think this will solve the issue but have not been able to test it. Hopefully we'll go camping in the next couple of weeks so I can try it.

2408T
Old 03-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Camper, do you mean the actual weight of the hitch or the idea of taking weight from the tongue weight and transferring it to the rear of the trailer and the front of the TV? $225.00 VS $450.00 is a lot of difference for about 35 pounds, not to mention it won't transfer as much weight as a standard WDH.
I meant the weight of the Andersen hitch (around 60#) versus the weight of my WDH (guesstimating 150-200# with bars, brackets, ball mount, and shank). I need to weigh the pieces but will have to wait until I'm past the 40# weight restriction period from cataract surgery.

camperD
camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #16

Default Final Review - Andersen No Sway Hitch

I finally got to try my Andersen hitch with the modified chain plate. In short, I'm going back to my conventional WDH with spring bars. The Andersen hitch does not distribute enough weight to the front wheels of my tow vehicle and the rear end still sags. This is unfortunate because It is so nice not to have to deal with heavy, greasy spring bars, as well as a ball mount that weighs much more than the Andersen one.

As I mentioned before, I noticed that much of the tension on the chains of the Anderson hitch was simply taking up the clearance between the square receiver and the ball mount; the ball mount was rotating in the receiver. The effect was that most of the chain tension was not being used to rotate the TV and transfer the weight.

After discussing this with the Andersen people they sent me an un-welded chain plate/chain plate fitting. I took that and welded the chain plate so it was at a 15 degree down angle under static conditions. This would allow the clearance in the receiver tube to be taken up, and leave about 10 degrees of chain plate rotation for weight distribution.

I did not take photos of the modified chain plate, but the attached photo will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. This photo was taken prior to the modification. Notice a couple of things: 1- See how far towards the TV is the ball mount tilted; this is all due to the clearance between the ball mount and the receiver tube. 2- Notice that the chain plate is in-line with the chains. In other words, adding tension to the chains will do nothing because the chain plate cannot rotate anymore. I drew a red line below the chain plate that depicts how I welded the one I received from Andersen. I sits at a 15 degree down angle from horizontal. As you can see, if the chain plate is at a down angle to begin with there will be more rotation of the ball mount before the plate comes in line with the chains and cannot be rotated further. Once the ball mount rotates in the receiver tube and takes up the clearance, the remaining rotation will lift the rear of the TV and lower the front. This will distribute weight from the rear to the front axle.

The modified setup did distribute a bit more weight to the front axle, but there is still a lot to go. One could weld the chain plate at an even greater down angle. The problem with this is that the chains would need to be longer and the urethane bushings would then get fully compressed before the plate rotates to the point that it is in-line with the chains.

My conclusion is that this system may work for lower hitch weights, but it definitely will not work for the hitch weight of my trailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hitch.jpg (54.6 KB, 36 views)

2408T
Old 04-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #17
sam

Default Anderson no sway hitch

Thanks for your honest opinion and review. Perhaps this will help someone to decide which hitch is best for them.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote