Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #1

Default Bathroom Faucet

On a recent camping trip we lost water to the cold water side of the bathroom sink's faucet. The water came through the hot water side but not the cold. Since we did have water at the sink (hot water side) the sink was still functional. So I decided to fix it when we got back home.

I have fixed it and here is what I found. Passing this on because I would have never thought this would be the case. I took the faucet fixtue off the sink. I found that up in the fixture where the water supply lines connect there are small plastic (whole thing is plastic) filters. They are just pushed up into the fixture. I inserted a screw driver from the top and the filters just push out. The one on the cold water side was filled with a sand like grit. Therefore no water would come pass. So once I cleaned that out and reinstalled the fixture it works fine.

There is a screen filter at the camper's city water connection but apparently some sand and grit got past that and into the cold water line. I'm always skecptable of some of the water supplies we connect to or fill our fresh water tank with. A lot of the state parks or national parks have wells and I doubt if they filter out much of anything?

Anyway I would never thought that the fixture had a filter in both sides. But it was an easy fix and we now have hot and cold water (if you can call it cold with the heat we're having) at the bathroom sink.
God Bless
Papa

Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
sam

Default Bathroom faucet filters

We had the same thing happen . Realized right away that we had to cleanout the BR faucet filter. The kitchen sink also has a filter.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

Aren't you glad you are handy and could fix it yourself. There is nothing in the hot side because it is probably in the water heater, that may need a flush. Many, not all, water pumps have a filter. That is something that needs checked and cleaned now and then.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #4

Default faucet

Sam and RichR,
Let me clarify. There is a filter in the hot water side of the bathroom faucet also. If you were to disconnect the cold water and hot water pipes and look up into the fixture where these pipes connect you would see the filters I'm talking about. On my bathroom faucet there is a filter in both water inlet connections.
Sam. are you saying the kitchen faucet also has filters internal to the fixture? I know both the bathroom and kitchen faucet fixtures have strainer/filters on the outlet where the water comes out and they need cleaning often. But the one that I found blocked with sand was inside the fixture on the inlet cold water line.

The reason I found it was a process of elimination. Didn't have cold water coming out of the fixture so started with taking the fixture off and was going to verify there was cold water coming to the fixture. After finding the cloged internal filter I didn't have to go further.
God Bless
Papa
Old 07-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #5

Those screens probably increase the life of the faucet. I'm glad you found it was something simple.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 07-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Aren't you glad you are handy and could fix it yourself. There is nothing in the hot side because it is probably in the water heater, that may need a flush. Many, not all, water pumps have a filter. That is something that needs checked and cleaned now and then.
Papa, I see what you were referring to in your reply. What I meant was that you didn't find sediment in the hot side filter because it probably settles out in the water heater and doesn't go any further.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #7

Default RichR

RichR,
Re the water heater I installed a pet cock drain on it and empty it by that after each trip. You hit it on the head because I have seen sediment come out of the tank drain. Guess it settles in the tank vs. moving on down the pipe.
God Bless
Papa
Old 07-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
sam

Default Faucet filter

I was refering to the external BR sink filter and external kitchen sink faucet filter. Clarification on slow water tank filling. Clarified with dh. This is when you have no water hookup on your campsite and you fill your tank with 15 gal. of water and it goes in only 1/4 tank real slow. We unhooked the clamp at the internal hose. Shook the disconnected hose and this released an air bubble reconnected and it filled up fast again. This has happened to us twice. Several years apart. Hose is located under couch bed on water heater side.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #9

That sounds a bit strange. How big is the hose? Ours is about 1 1/2" inside diameter, and there is separate vent hose that vents beside the outside end of the fill hose. It will take water as fast as you can put it in. It sounds like you may have a kinked hose or bad venting.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #10

Default Clamp

h
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I was refering to the external BR sink filter and external kitchen sink faucet filter. Clarification on slow water tank filling. Clarified with dh. This is when you have no water hookup on your campsite and you fill your tank with 15 gal. of water and it goes in only 1/4 tank real slow. We unhooked the clamp at the internal hose. Shook the disconnected hose and this released an air bubble reconnected and it filled up fast again. This has happened to us twice. Several years apart. Hose is located under couch bed on water heater side.
Sam,
Mine is like what RichR describes. A very large hose with adaquate venting that takes water into the fresh water tank very quickly. On my Hi Lo the filling port is on the outside of the trailer and it is about 1 1/2" diameter opening. Beside that opening is a smaller hole about 1/2" in diameter covered with screen that is the vent for the tank. I've never had a problem filling it quickly. I can't figure out why you'd be having problems but do understand that there are many configruations across the many models of Hi Lo of which I know nothing. Ha
God Bless
Papa
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
sam

Default slow water filling

I guess our trailer is old and different. The hose is not kinked. It is a simple fix just a pain to lift the mattress off the couch and bend over and do the fix. The first time this happened to me I had my husband tow me and my girlfriend to Allegany State park. He left and I had been shown where to fill the water tank on the outside. Wouldn't take any water,just went on the ground. A camper across the way came to my rescue(had a big 5th wheei.) You would have thought I was on candid camera!! Anyway, a simple fix.