Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd
Default bathroom floor soft

does anyone have detailed pictures on bathroom floor replacement? mine is soft under the throne and also part of the tub (22l 1988). or what order to remove/install the replacement piece of plywood, the thickness, etc. any help will be apreciated, thanks

robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
sam

Default Br Soft floor/replacement

We have a 90 classic. Around our toilet the floor wa soft rotted. It was okay by our tub. If my memory serves me correctly my hubby carefully cut out the rotted wood.Very small shallow cuts as the Black water sewer tank is below the toilet. Some of the wood we just scooped out with gloves on. I suppose you have to carefully determine that you have no plumbing leaks from the toilet,br sink or the bath tub. Then he was able measure and get the correct thickness of underlay. Good waterproof underlay. Possibly it was exterior grade. My hubby is sleeping now so I can't ask him for details. This not an easy job/good knee pads and a strong back..Stand up every 1/2 hr and do back bends to counteract all the forward bending. My hubby pulled his back out doing this repair. A long time ago we had our dealer pull the toilet out as the seal had to be replaced as the toilet wasn't able to hold water in the bowl after use. We probably could do this repair our self now. I put wood patch on the floor and sanded. Our bath room rug set covers the floor repair. Just the other day I found some vinyl flooring the matches the interior perfectly. I am just going to have a flooring place do the job. I want a floor that be easily washed. You can always call Jr Repair for advice. It is very common to have Br repair of the toilet area. Heck we just finished repairing our home Br. for a toilet and Br tub drain leak. We had to replace delaminated sub floor and replace comercial tile. Hope this helps you. I remember we had to get a new wax ring at an rv place. Best to get this when you see what the old style was on the toilet. Best of luck with this repair. You caN DO IT!!

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #3

Sam,

Good job! I sure like (and appreciate) your "can do," attitude.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
sam

Default Repairing soft br. floor toilet area

Got to ask hubby how he did the BR. floor repair. It has been a few years so some of the details are a little fuzzy.At the time he only had a circular saw to cut out the rotted flooring. Now he owns and would use his oscilating Multifunction Power Tool from Harbor freight.$29.99. Very carefully cut as you are cutting the wood that is attached to strips of metal. Take the side panel off the bath tub-a pain to do.Then he used 3/4inch plywood for underlay. A very good possibility that I brushed on clear water seal on both sides of the plywood. He used some long special screws that that would go through wood then metal and had a flat head. Purchased at Home Depot. Can't remember what they are called. Lay on the ground under the trailer and use window and door spray foam to wO aterproof all the seams. This underside gets the brunt of road water ect.Our repair has held up. A rock solid toilet when the queen sits on the throne or is it King?This was a few years ago.Possibly before Digital cameras and UTUBE. Didn' take pictures,just wanted to get the repair done. Took hubby out to dinner and we think if time allows we can put in the new sheet vinyl ourselves. He did a Br.sm floor for a friend of ours. Have to save $ where ever you can and only pay for the things you can't do yourselves. Lately what you save goes into your gas tank!!!! Your never ahead just even if you are lucky.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #5

Default reply

thanks for all of your help, I started taking the toilet off and the tub out today, now i'm down to the floor with drain pipes and the toilet flange left. the floor is gone from the front of the toilet base to the back wall and over to the drain valve . I have some work ahead of me! Does anyone know if the flange unscrews?
I will take some during and reassembly picks if it helps anyone in the future.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #6

In both of our Hi-Lo's the flange unscrews... in fact, I had the same problem (rotten floor) in our 1969. Root cause was that the threads on the black water tank (those that engaged the flange) had split lengthwise (due to age it appeared). This caused yucky seepage into the surrounding floor whenever the trailer was moving and the tank contents were sloshing. In those older trailers the toilet was mounted on the shower pan, so leakage was not readily apparent. I actually didn't find it until I decided to replace the toilet with a newer, fancier model... so it had been seeping for years.

Hah, I had a very literal "oh S___T" moment!

Fortunately only the plywood and taper shims supporting the shower pan were rotten. The main sub floor planking was just fine.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
sam

Default Soft Br. floor repair

Them screws we used were self drilling sheetmetal screws. They can be purchased at any hardware store. They were probably 1 1/4or 1 1/2 inches. A good source for specialty screws is www.mcfeelys.com We replaced all exterior screws on the HiLo with stainless steel screws. Probably 100$ investment 10 years ago. My hubby has hundreds of screws all organized and labeled in the house. Somehow we never seem to have the right ones so off we go to Home Depot or the local hardware store. The toilet flange could be one that screws on or one that is cemented on. Ours was the screw on type. Any way you got me motivated to do our RV Br sheet Vinyl replacement. Read the directions and can"t do the repair until it is 65degrees. I could rip out the old floor some rainy day. The fun never ends!!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #8

Red face soft floor replacement

I replaced tha section of my bathroom floor by cutting out a 24" by 42" piece of the sub floor. I went to the middle of the frame stud about a inch and a half to the right of the sink base and all the way to the street side wall. I used one of those osolating tools from harbor freight ($39.95), it worked great for keeping a strait line and not going too deep to cut the waste tank.
then cut the grey water drain pipe to remove it, 3" from the sink base and 3" from the tub front wall. then cut a piece of 3/4" marine plywood and coated the outside with spray undercoating, cut out the drain hole and vent tube hole. and put a 3/4" angle recessed on the front edge of the original floor. then I covered the whole floor with a 1/4" piece of luan (plywood) to make sure everything was level, then installed a new sheet of simulated wood plank vinal flooring. had to wait a few days until it was warm enough(above 65) so the glue would work well. then replaced all the fixtures,replaced the drain pipe with 2" connector compression sleeves and it works great! now i am checking for all the leaks that the previous owner hid from me that caused the problems. I think I will replace all my cone seals so I won't have future problems. after that, a good cleaning and its off to camping season for me!
Old 06-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
sam

Default Floor replacement in Br

Thanks for taking the time to post a description of your Br floor replacement. Sounds like you did an Aplus job and the wife is happy!! I am sure it will help another person with this same repair. Sam.