Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #1

Default Fix for cracked shower pan?

We have never used the shower since we have had our Towlite 187TD, because it a) is so small I barely fit inside (it's a Thetford toilet/shower combo) and b) the floor is cracked a few inches from the drain. No missing pieces, but cracked.

Instead of replacing the entire pan (I think I saw one at Pelland Enterprises), I was hoping to repair it enough that it is safe to use in a pinch (pun intended) or for occasional use only.

One idea I had - get some adhesive-backed roofing membrane, and cut to fit the floor/up the sides a couple inches.

Anyone have other ideas?

Old 01-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
sam

Default Fixing cracked shower pan

If the shower pan is plastic or fiberglass you can purchase a repair kit at any RV dealer. West Marine boat supplies makes some excellent repair products. The internet is your best source for what you want and prices.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
If the shower pan is plastic or fiberglass you can purchase a repair kit at any RV dealer. West Marine boat supplies makes some excellent repair products. The internet is your best source for what you want and prices.
I believe that these are the products Sam is referring to: Epoxy by the Leading Epoxy Manufacturer | WEST SYSTEM Epoxy. They are made by West System and can be found at West Marine (no relationship), as well as other boat parts suppliers. Check out the repair kits in their site. They make them for fiberglass, as well as plastics.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
I believe that these are the products Sam is referring to: Epoxy by the Leading Epoxy Manufacturer | WEST SYSTEM Epoxy. They are made by West System and can be found at West Marine (no relationship), as well as other boat parts suppliers. Check out the repair kits in their site. They make them for fiberglass, as well as plastics.
That's exactly what I was looking for, and found a local source - thanks!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #5

As a retired plumber and remodeling contractor I have NEVER seen or been able to repair a pan, plastic or fiberglass, without stabilizing the pans flexing.
Blocks on the underside, and on top of the flooring, stop the weight caused flexing by limiting the range of motion.
Call me skeptical in this repair. It can be done but the results normally don't last.

I have thought many times about removing the tub/shower pan in my Hi-Lo as I have never used it for its intended purpose. That space could be used for so many other things!

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, just my $.02
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoites View Post
As a retired plumber and remodeling contractor I have NEVER seen or been able to repair a pan, plastic or fiberglass, without stabilizing the pans flexing.
You make a really good point. The shower pan on my first RV cracked because of flexing under weight. I removed it and noticed that it was nor contacting the floor in a number of areas. While fixing the crack I made some supports for the underside of the pan from wood and epoxy resin. This did the trick: no more flexing.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote