Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

Exclamation Has anyone tied into there home septic? how could

okay, not sure who has read my intro who hasn't read what so here is the story. we will be parking my hi lo at my parents house, they live on 5.01 acres out in the county but they do have county water and a septic system at there house, i am still trying to figure out what be the best way to be able to empty my waste system on my trailer or be able to permertly be hooked to a drainage system

While we can come in the house to use the restroom during the day they will be times rather its raining, or middle night or whatever it might be that we will be using the campers system, not to mention just sink and shower water,.. people have said it has tanks for grey and black but even at that they still have to be drained somewhere time to time..

One big issue here is there is a natural creek on the property and my family uses it to pump water for the yard and flowers and such. and another neighbor has his part dammed up with a small pond like with some fish in it. I don't wanna do anything to contaminate it

If anyone has any ideas,thoughts or could tell me what they have done in the past it be great.

Epoweredrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Epower, As we speak, I'm looking for mountain lake property and I envision tapping into the septic tank directly from the trailer. No different than at a campsite. Where you park in relation to the septic tank cover will determine how much hose you need. Just my thoughts...
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Site Team

You might also be able to fit your drain hose into one of the septic tank cleanout ports. They are round things about 6" in diameter that are connected to the lines running from the house to the septic tank.

Grey water should present no hazard to anything though. I'd direct it to a flower bed or any other plantings.

Black water though is a bit problematic. You could always dig a fairly deep hole, maybe a couple feet deep, and dispose of the contents there. Essentially, it's no different than what you'd do if you were remote camping in the woods in a tent.

- Jack
Old 07-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Epower, As we speak, I'm looking for mountain lake property and I envision tapping into the septic tank directly from the trailer. No different than at a campsite. Where you park in relation to the septic tank cover will determine how much hose you need. Just my thoughts...
Tree
Well I would think that would be easy if its a empty lot. but thanks for the reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
You might also be able to fit your drain hose into one of the septic tank cleanout ports. They are round things about 6" in diameter that are connected to the lines running from the house to the septic tank.

Grey water should present no hazard to anything though. I'd direct it to a flower bed or any other plantings.

Black water though is a bit problematic. You could always dig a fairly deep hole, maybe a couple feet deep, and dispose of the contents there. Essentially, it's no different than what you'd do if you were remote camping in the woods in a tent.

- Jack
Well ive never seen these pipes in the yard. we know about where the septic tank is but ive never seen a fitting above ground. i would almost bet its covered up by the concrete parking spots and carport not a good idea i guess but parents got this place the way it already was.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #5

When I built my house more than 30 years ago I had a line run from near my drive way to directly dump into my septic tank. While I have never used this set up for continuous use I have dumped camping wastes from my Hilo Funchaser periodically in it for over its life time. No problems have resulted but I do run a garden hose thru a window and into the commode while doing a dump so as to be sure all solids are washed into septic tank. I might add I do have solids in my septic tank pumped out every two or three years.
Salangeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Epower, The 6" cleanout that Jack is referring to is usually very near the house, in line with the septic. Because of it's location between my unit and the house, I have an extra hose, but use this clean-out port to flush my tanks at the end of season. My son-in-law removes the access cover (where the pros pump out the septic tank) and flushes his tanks into this. Works!
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Epower, The 6" cleanout that Jack is referring to is usually very near the house, in line with the septic. Because of it's location between my unit and the house, I have an extra hose, but use this clean-out port to flush my tanks at the end of season. My son-in-law removes the access cover (where the pros pump out the septic tank) and flushes his tanks into this. Works!
Tree
well, do you know a way to find out where it would be? there the 2nd owner of the house the first owners suppose to had set the whole house,garage, buildings and all up they have a very nice paved driveway and carport area. and from what we know the septic is on other side of carport and the house is on other side of the carport. they have flowers on the side of carport to the brick foundation and nothing is over there.

So no clue. it was set up in 2001 so it should have them right?

we're clueless. never had a reason to look for them before.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #8

You may want to check with whoever services the septic system. They maybe able to figure it out.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
You may want to check with whoever services the septic system. They maybe able to figure it out.
Never needed it aerviced.
I just ment does that kinda info go into a file at the court house ot where records like home info and all go?
Old 07-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #10

Well, I found out from the person at environmental health dept this home has no clean out pipes.. so I'm back not knowing what to do....
Any ideas? The holding tanks on my 1980 hi lo look pretty small..so would need to be emptied quite a bit I would guess
Old 07-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #11

Epoweredrc, it won't be cheap, but do some reading about macerator pumps for rvs. Check out Shurflo model 3200 Macerator pump.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
Never needed it aerviced.
I just ment does that kinda info go into a file at the court house ot where records like home info and all go?
I don't know how long your family has been there, but trust me, you want to have it serviced. What happens is the solids build up and work there way into the drain field plugging the drain field up. You do Not want that to happen. Happened to my parents home and it got to the point where the septic was being pump 3 to 4 times a year at $175.00 a pop and that was years ago. Get it pumped and have them put a clean out in.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:52 PM   #13
Site Team

Agree with Gary on this! It's not all that expensive to tie a cleanout or other pipe into the sewer line to a septic tank either. It's actually something you could do yourself if you could bring yourself to mess with the project. The smell might be pretty bad, but you can wear gloves.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:36 AM   #14

The septic tank was put In in 2001 when they put the home here, so it's not all that old. Parents purchased in 2007, Our old house they had one put in around 1977 and we were still using it in 2007 just fine. I'm sure depends on the size of them.
this place has a 1,000 gallon tank..

How does someone even service a place that doesn't have a clean out???

Sorry I am pretty good with most stuff but horrible with plumbing stuff and know nothing about septic stuff.

thanks
Old 07-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #15
Site Team

There is an opening (with a cap of course) on the top of the septic tank. It is most probably buried underground. Septic cleaning crews know how to find it and they have to dig to get to it. The tank can be pumped out through this opening.

- Jack
Old 07-31-2017, 09:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
There is an opening (with a cap of course) on the top of the septic tank. It is most probably buried underground. Septic cleaning crews know how to find it and they have to dig to get to it. The tank can be pumped out through this opening.

- Jack
Figured it would have something on top to access it. just where it's at here is a flower bed so if they ever had to have it pumped there flower bed would get ruined. not something they would want unless just had to be done.

so I need come up with something else. I've heard people talk about external tanks mounted to small utility trailers and they go dump the portable tanks at local dump places but I am un aware of any dump sites around where I live. what are these places called? one person said somewhere that the local port a poty comp would come pump his once a month.. Maybe I should check that. Really not sure what to do.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #17
Site Team

With any luck, the waste line to the septic tank has a copper "tracing wire" embedded with it. This allows plumbers to locate the entire line. If so, they could add a cleanout trap at a point where it would not destroy the flower garden.

Contact a plumbing service. Find out what it would cost to have this kind of thing done.

- Jack
Old 07-31-2017, 02:51 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
Well, I found out from the person at environmental health dept this home has no clean out pipes.. so I'm back not knowing what to do....
Any ideas? The holding tanks on my 1980 hi lo look pretty small..so would need to be emptied quite a bit I would guess
You could always use a portable tank. You can find them at Walmart Online as well.

RV Holding Tanks, Black Water Tanks, Portable Holding Tanks For Boat or RV | Camping World
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:57 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
You could always use a portable tank. You can find them at Walmart Online as well.

RV Holding Tanks, Black Water Tanks, Portable Holding Tanks For Boat or RV | Camping World
You're right about that, sir, but then he still has the problem of finding a place to dump the portable tank. So far, he doesn't seem to have had much luck in that.

In addition, there's often a "fee" to empty a tank into a public dump station. Plus, there's the hassle and effort to fill the tank, then get it up into the bed of a pickup (17 gals is HEAVY).

- Jack
Old 07-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #20
sam

Default Rv waste

Some local waste water treatment plants allow dumping for rvs.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote