Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #1
Site Team

Default I'm full of it!

My 2703 tanks are most surly empty and have been since de-winterizing in Feb. However the fresh shows 1/3, the black shows 2/3 and the grey is 1/3.
I filled the black with buckets of water and liquid dish washer detergent mixed, sloshed it around and let it sit for 24hrs. In the meantime, I cleaned all the contacts/hardware. Note: when ground was disconnected, the monitor went from full to 2/3. It hought the lights would go off! Like I said, all tanks are empty and cleaned, and purged with air to ensure they were dry. The wire diagram shows no other components than wires and monitor.
Any ideas? Hopefully someone has found a cure for this problem.
Thanks All,
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Tree - I think the sensors inside the tanks are bad. I've read that this can happen on websites offering replacement tank monitoring devices and have considered trying to install one of those in my trailer, but haven't done so yet. Looks to be a bit of work, although not impossible.

You might Google Search "RV tank sensors", or something similar to see what I've seen.

- Jack

Old 04-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
Site Team

Thanks Jack, seems the "only" way is to change tanks. I have a great multi meter and check continuity from each sensor to ground and there was nothing as it should be. Also checked the ground post to known good ground and had continuity, as it should. Wondering if it could be somewhere else in the system? And, if I had to take the tank down to replace, why could I not put in a hole in the top, replace the sensors and seal the hole with a metal plate/butyl tape/screws and caulk? Such as an inspection panel on an aircraft ? Know anyone who's done such a smart thing?
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 04-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Site Team

Just thought of something. Could the lights be lit because they are grounded somewhere else in the system?
Hummmm....
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 04-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Tree, I don't have a real answer to any of your questions. From what I've read, the black tank sensors get screwed up due to stuff like toilet paper fouling them. Have you located the grounding "connections"? They could possibly be corroded or otherwise faulty.

The systems I've looked at don't involve drilling at all. They seem to be something like a "tape" that is glued to the outside of the tanks and they give a continuous (numerical) percentage fill level, rather than the 1/3, 2/3, Full indications. I'd give that some serious thought.

Otherwise, your ideas of drilling, filling and so on certainly seem possible to me.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
Site Team

I'd like to know more about an external "tape on" type gauge! I did find one system that began with an "H" (guys last name), they required drilling new holes, but were mounted from the outside and you tapped into your existing wires. $90 for three sensors. That's $270 plus shipping for all three tanks. I'll just keep a close eye on the black, put out the campfire with the grey and not use fresh.
Thanks again, Jack
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 04-07-2016, 09:03 PM   #7
sam

Default Faulty tank sensors.

Our tank sensors have never worked since we got our HiLo(used). I'm positive a member of our HiLo club changed theirs out. Can't remember the brand. Call my buddy at Mantelli trailer. Jay will be able to tell you. Jay Simon in parts 1-716-625-8877.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #8

Tree, Look up Horst Miracle Probes. I had installed them on my last unit. The standard probes that all manufacturers use resemble a pan head screw. They are too close to the side of the tank when installed. Because of this you will get false readings on your monitor. The miracle probes utilize teflon in their construction which is why they work so well and they extend into the tank away from the tank sides. No drilling required, just remove existing probes and use the same holes. They are a bit pricey, but well worth the money. You won't regret it.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:23 PM   #9

fill the tanks half full and take it for a long ride to clean the sensors
Castbulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #10

Not sure if its been mentioned yet or not, but you can dump several 30lb bags of ice down the toilet too and take it for a drive. The ice helps knock any foreign debris loose. My BW tank has been like that for years. Last week on our camp I made sure to top the BW off with a waterhose. We used the Bathhouse for the last day to let the water set for longer. The sensor finally is accurate now after dumping my BWT.
motorpig2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #11
Site Team

I've tried several of the mentioned remedies to no avail. I pretty sure new probes are the cure, at least for the grey and black tanks. Black takes priority as we only use it for #1, but I don't want it to get even close. It can be monitored with a flash lite. No rush, I'm taking it to Navy Lake Site in Ga. for about a week. In the meantime, I'll look for new probes. Thanks all, for your input.
Tree
PS: Savanna was great this time of year!

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC