Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

Unhappy Replacing the city water inlet.

We had a slight accident when lowering our trailer at the last RV park before returning home (thankfully!) I don't usually do the outside stuff, but on this trip my husband was not able to do it. I forgot to disconnect the city water hose.
Soooo, when I lowered the trailer, it started ripping the inlet off the side. I stopped as soon as I heard that bad sound, but it did rip the screws out of the plastic inlet so the inlet needs replacing. I've been looking at replacements and it looks like I can't get another B & B inlet. The one by Valterra is metal. It occurred to me that rather than rip the screws through the plastic, with a metal one it would probably have ripped the whole inlet out of where it attaches. Of course, assuming this never happens again, it's probably a moot point, right? Has anyone used the Valterra inlet?

2008 Chevy Silverado XLT w/10k Equil-i-zer Hitch
2006 Hi-Lo 27T
riki4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #2

On mine the city water connection is below the skirt of the upper half and can't be in the way upon lowering. The upper hose filler for the tank is and has been the one I tore off, just the cover. And it was a keyed cover and glad to be rid of it.

The city water connect from Valterra is what I replaced mine with when I first bought my trlr. Metal and works great.

I doubt there is one hi-lo forum member that hasn't done the exact same thing you have done. OOP"S
A life lesson. Easily repaired, and a cheap lesson.

A List of items to be finished BEFORE(and after) lowering the top is a good thing to use. I believe there is one compiled here on the forum to print out and keep on a clip board.
I have mine and still did it!

happy trails

steve

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #3

Thanks so much for the reply Steve. Amazing how you can look right at something and not see it! I think I'll go with the Valterra then.

2008 Chevy Silverado XLT w/10k Equil-i-zer Hitch
2006 Hi-Lo 27T
riki4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Or, if you're in a "hurry" and DON'T look, guess what happens?

I'm never in a hurry anymore.

- Jack
Old 01-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
sam

Default water inlet

Renoites said we all have made bloopers and that includes us. Got distracted when my neighbour came by to chat and lowered the top with the water fill door open. Welcome to the forum. Spend some time reading back posts and viewing the how to operate videos. Something to keep you informed on these long winter nights.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:43 PM   #6

During one of my very early trips I lowered the top while my AC plug was still in. From its bent appearance it wasn't the first time.
And the prior owner obviously once left something on the stove top while closing, and bent its' overhead vent.
But my biggest DUH! was ... the very last time I ever pulled/parked this camper, when unhitching it - I forgot to unhook the safety brake wire and drove off (30 feet).

But I never ripped off the water hose (Nuk-Nuk-Nuk).
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
Site Team

That's one way to test the emergency brakes!

I drove off one day (for only a short distance thankfully) without hooking up the trailer power cord to the tow vehicle. Happily, I make it a habit to look at the brake controller to see that the trailer brakes are working and saw nothing was happening back there.

We DO ALL find ways to be stupid, don't we?

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote